Sponsored

More questions on caliper reinstall

BigW25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium DIB
I am getting ready to remove calipers for coating and in watching videos and reading threads here, a couple mention replacing the copper washers, but most make no mention of it. Being that there are 8 washers at $5/ea, I do not want to buy if they are not needed. That said, I am happy to buy if they are needed.

I am seeing there being 3 options for bleeding "ye olde two person method", pressure, or vacuum. Am I missing any? Which would you recommend for a first timer (being supervised by classic car owner/tinkerer father-in-law)?

Feel free to throw any other tips or lessons learned my way.
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You will need to match the thread type on your bleeders and order a set of speed bleeders. I do not have them on my Mustang yet or I would get you the part number to order. I have put these on every other car I have owned over the years as I track all my cars and bleed the brake 4-6 times a year. Often at the track and often by myself it seems.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed-bleeders/domestic.shtml

These bleeders have a check valve to prevent the bleeding process from drawing air back into the caliper. I also use a small magnetic fluid catch bottle from Harbor Freight the bottle sticks to your brake rotor, prevents spills and stops air from being drawn back as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/one-man-brake-bleeder-kit-37201.html

With this setup it is simple, open the bleeder, attach the hose from the catch bottle, stick the bottle on the brake rotor or inner fender, push brake pedal a few times, close bleeder and move on to the next one.

Dave

ColtonimusPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
As for the washers, I reused all but one of them. The only reason I replaced one was because I lost during the removal. Haven't had a problem with leaking or loss of pedal. So you should be fine re using them. And as for the bleeding, if you got two people, you might as well do it the s fashioned way. You won't have to purchase any extra tools or anything.

Just my two cents.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
To install my Goodridge Braided Stainless lines I used the simplest method and it worked perfectly. I took a 12oz plastic soda bottle and drilled a hole in the cap. I rinsed the bottle and 1/4 filled it with brake fluid. Then I took a clear plastic hose about 2 1/2 ft long. I trimmed the hose to allow it to fit from the bleeders (car on jacks)to the bottom of the bottle while it sits on the floor. Slip the free end of the hose into the hole in the bottle top so it goes to the bottom of the bottle (in the brake fluid). Then I pumped the brake pedal till it got firm, opened the bleeder let fluid flow until the bubbles stopped, close it, pump again, bleed again. If the pedal stays firm check the fluid reservoir, top it off and move to the next wheel. Easy Peasy. And your Father In Law will be impressed I guarantee it. Start with the wheel furthest from the reservoir and work back to the closest. You will use a lot a fluid since you plan on taking the calipers completely off. But take your time and make sure the hose fits really tight on the bleeders.

As a side comment, I painted my calipers with G2 without removing them. I know you didn't ask but I suggest it anyway.
G2Caliper.jpg

OP
OP

BigW25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium DIB
Thanks for all the tips. The powdercoating is complete, I'll be putting them back on Saturday.

XlL2RjW.jpg
Sponsored