Sponsored

Brake bleed after caliper swap questions

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hey all,

Soon I'll swap my stock front non-PP calipers and rotors for a pair of 6-pot Brembos and PowerStop rotors. I'm excited about this as I will have stronger, fade-free braking and it will look cool as hell on top of it. I'll also be swapping the stock rear rotors for Power Stop rotors, but I will not be disconnecting the rear calipers from their hoses.

My '17 GT has 6K miles on it, all commuting miles, so the brakes haven't been subjected to track-level heating/cooling cycles, so I am assuming my brake fluid is in good shape and doesn't need to be totally flushed. The fluid is still clear, not yellow or brown.

Once the new calipers are installed I am thinking that I will only need to bleed them, the fronts. Since I'm not removing the rear calipers, there should be no need to bleed them, correct?

I am assuming I will:

1. Install new calipers
  2. Top off fluid in reservoir
  3. Bleed passenger side front caliper, adding fluid in reservoir as needed
  4. Bleed driver's side front caliper, adding fluid in reservoir as needed
  5. Brembos have two bleed screws; which one do you bleed first? Does it matter?
And that should be it, no? Last time I changed a caliper was a very long time ago on a POS car I'd rather not mention. I don't remember what I did, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right. LOL! Please let me know if I missed something.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You should bleed both bleeders as your caliper has two sides.
Also get new crush washers for the banjo connection. You don't want to reuse and found out they don't seal and redo the work again for such cheap parts.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
You should bleed outside first, then inside. You won't need to bleed the rear calipers, though I'd say that replacing the OEM fluid with some better fluid can't hurt. This would also be the time to think about doing stainless steel brake hoses, if that's something you'd want down the line.

JR

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Yeah, the braided steel hoses...I like'em and now sure would be the time to put them on...must_not_spend_more_money.

Thanks for the tip on which order to bleed the Brembos, [MENTION=20773]jacknifetoaswan[/MENTION].
Sponsored