Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Who's your shop ?
It’s just a local shop who works on anything from jdm cars to muscle cars, they have installed everything for me except the supercharger. The owner grew up working on drag strip cars with his dad so they are pretty knowledgeable about most things.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hey y’all,

So I own a 2017 GT and I’m wanting to change my exhaust setup. I have been rocking BBK Long tube headers/off-road long tube connection pipes (catless)/ x-pipes/roush axleback tips for over a year now. I give the loudness a 9 out of 10 in my books but needing to go a tad bit quieter. I don’t want to go back to stock I just want the loudness down a bit. Any thoughts??
All 3 components of your setup are contributing to high volume: (1) Headers, (2) X-pipe, and (3) Roush mufflers. Just adding bullet resonators while keeping all 3 of those in place probably won't lower the volume much although it will likely reduce rasp. Assuming you want to keep the headers, the best way to lower the volume is either replacing the X-pipe with a Tru-X or mid-muffler/resonator, or replacing the Roush mufflers with something more tame. (Or doing both, depending on how much quieter you want.)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to kill the sound all together you could go MF Tru X. But that will bring it down to almost stock levels.
Not with headers and Roush axle backs.

OP
OP

ztdoyle14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2017
All 3 components of your setup are contributing to high volume: (1) Headers, (2) X-pipe, and (3) Roush mufflers. Just adding bullet resonators while keeping all 3 of those in place probably won't lower the volume much although it will likely reduce rasp. Assuming you want to keep the headers, the best way to lower the volume is either replacing the X-pipe with a Tru-X or mid-muffler/resonator, or replacing the Roush mufflers with something more tame. (Or doing both, depending on how much quieter you want.)
I think the Tru-X is what i’m going to try. Your saying replacing the x pipes with these will bring the volume down? That is my only goal right now and most definitely am wanting to keep the headers.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I think the Tru-X is what i’m going to try. Your saying replacing the x pipes with these will bring the volume down? That is my only goal right now and most definitely am wanting to keep the headers.
That Tru-X is highly restrictive.
Just saying.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Magnaflow targets that product specifically for people in your situation. I haven't used it myself but I know someone who had a loud muffler delete type catback. He replaced the X-pipe with the Tru-X and is happy. Now, with headers and Roush mufflers your setup still won't be "quiet" but it should be a very noticeable difference.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Hey y’all,

So I own a 2017 GT and I’m wanting to change my exhaust setup. I have been rocking BBK Long tube headers/off-road long tube connection pipes (catless)/ x-pipes/roush axleback tips for over a year now. I give the loudness a 9 out of 10 in my books but needing to go a tad bit quieter. I don’t want to go back to stock I just want the loudness down a bit. Any thoughts??
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5231-M8 (Straight through chambered and baffled)
https://www.borla.com/products/ford-mustang-gt-connecting-pipe-60561 ( Straight through fiber packed w/internal balance tube)

Last edited:

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
That Tru-X is highly restrictive.
Just saying.
Why are you saying this? Is it restrictive by the internal design,piping diameter or ? I am curious to know as my xmod has a 3" in and out tru x and I really like the sound of it on the car

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Why are you saying this? Is it restrictive by the internal design,piping diameter or ? I am curious to know as my xmod has a 3" in and out tru x and I really like the sound of it on the car
I get hung up on the lack of cross sectional area of a True X. I’ve dismissed the argument of exhaust pulse scavenging at the true X-pipe on 90° crank V8’s. Scavenging is done at the Ext. port to collector.
BTW I prefer the sound of a X vs. H. But then again the sound of Dr. Gas Boom Tubes is like no other.

Last edited:

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
OK, so I had catless headers into the Flowmaster Outlaw catback. It was dumb loud. After a few months I added the Tru-X in place of the Flowmaster X-pipe and it did was it was meant to do. It muffled the sound. It's like adding a muffler in the middle of the system. After about 3 weeks of break-in it sounded a lot better. It was very muffled at first and I thought I had screwed up big time. Gave the system a very low tone which is what I wanted. There is one thing to consider about the Tru-X though. You are adding a muffler right under where you sit. It increased the volume inside the car by a lot. It was like a very low drone which was annoying on long trips. I had that system for about 8 months before I got tired of it. Changed to Corsa Extreme but have Vibrant resonators welding right before the mufflers. In my opinion, much better. Its less invasive into the cabin. I used to have to raise my voice to talk over the exhaust on the highway. With the resonators at the back, I can speak normally now. Just my experience with the Tru-X resonator.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ztdoyle14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2017
OK, so I had catless headers into the Flowmaster Outlaw catback. It was dumb loud. After a few months I added the Tru-X in place of the Flowmaster X-pipe and it did was it was meant to do. It muffled the sound. It's like adding a muffler in the middle of the system. After about 3 weeks of break-in it sounded a lot better. It was very muffled at first and I thought I had screwed up big time. Gave the system a very low tone which is what I wanted. There is one thing to consider about the Tru-X though. You are adding a muffler right under where you sit. It increased the volume inside the car by a lot. It was like a very low drone which was annoying on long trips. I had that system for about 8 months before I got tired of it. Changed to Corsa Extreme but have Vibrant resonators welding right before the mufflers. In my opinion, much better. Its less invasive into the cabin. I used to have to raise my voice to talk over the exhaust on the highway. With the resonators at the back, I can speak normally now. Just my experience with the Tru-X resonator.
See as a daily driven car that is important to note. I am curious on how long you’ve had that new setup with the vibrant resonators and if the sound or tone changes after breaking it in. What did you replace for the corsa extreme? as in the mid pipes?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
See as a daily driven car that is important to note. I am curious on how long you’ve had that new setup with the vibrant resonators and if the sound or tone changes after breaking it in. What did you replace for the corsa extreme? as in the mid pipes?
If your going to use bottle resonators look over the link provided below. There's just not much packing material around a bottle res. The oval cased mid res. in post #37 are a better option and easy fit up.
https://www.stainlessbros.com/BottleBullet-Resonator_c_90.html

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I have not noticed much of a change in the sound since installing the Corsa system with the Vibrant resonators. It did get a little less raspy in the 2nd week. The Corsa Extreme catback was used, so I wasn't too worried about cutting it up. I used the double x-pipe that came with the Corsa system. Shoot me a PM with your cell # and I can send you some videos if you want to hear what it sounds like.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
As long as it’s purple she will be down (she is a purple freak), when I showed her they had a purple 5 point harness her eyes lit up and gave her approval. 🤣
ah.. her name wouldn't be Marie Schrader?
1641591211426.png

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT