Sponsored

Mod Proposal: Twinscrolling the GT

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I was thinking that the best attribute of the ecoboost was the instant torque. Especially when it comes to being a daily driver (which the new chasis seems well equipped to do), having power from 1800 rpm seems a lot more beneficial than huge HP at 6,000. However, no one here wants to sacrifice the sound of a v8.

Does anyone know if the engine bay is large enough to put a twinscroll turbo on the coyote? I'm thinking a small blower that spools up quickly would be best. My inspiration is the Audi RS7, which has a flat torque curve starting at 1750 rpm (over 500 ft-lbs at that). I'm planning on buying my first sport car soon and I frankly really like what Ford has done with the 15 Mustang.
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I'm confused... Do you want a blower (a supercharger) or a turbo?

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Also, won't adding a turbo change the exhaust note that you are wanting?

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Small turbos don't have too much of an impact on noise (if any), just listen to any of the german luxury cars. As for blower, I meant turbo; I'm new to the terminology and I assumed forced induction was forced induction.

Zshazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Fiesta ST
I'm confused... Do you want a blower (a supercharger) or a turbo?
Twinscroll = Turbo

Edit: Oh, I see. He said blower in his post so you're notifying him that he's using the term incorrectly without being direct about it. But yeah, still, the answer to your question is that he wants a turbo.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Does anyone know if the engine bay is large enough to put a twinscroll turbo on the coyote? I'm thinking a small blower that spools up quickly would be best. My inspiration is the Audi RS7, which has a flat torque curve starting at 1750 rpm (over 500 ft-lbs at that). I'm planning on buying my first sport car soon and I frankly really like what Ford has done with the 15 Mustang.
I don't think anyone knows for sure what will fit and where, but I'm sure the aftermarket will have a turbo solution at some point. It's just a question of how difficult the install will be.

The roots-type superchargers offer very similar low-end torque characteristics and are generally much easier to install, and can even be had with a powertrain warranty (e.g. Ford Racing's offerings). They usually aren't quite as efficient as a turbo, but are a great option that will usually make more than enough power for most (over 600HP).

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Anything can be done with enough time and money. How about we just wait for the damn car to go on sale before worrying about what we guess might fit.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Anything can be done with enough time and money. How about we just wait for the damn car to go on sale before worrying about what we guess might fit.
Because of some of us like to plan ahead?

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Indeed. At least we know Ford Racing's supercharger offerings will be available at or near launch.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
The roots-type superchargers offer very similar low-end torque characteristics and are generally much easier to install, and can even be had with a powertrain warranty (e.g. Ford Racing's offerings). They usually aren't quite as efficient as a turbo, but are a great option that will usually make more than enough power for most (over 600HP).
That's something I would be interested in then. As I said earlier, I don't care too much about hitting huge HP numbers, but I want a lot of low end torque available. A good analogy would be a roller coaster vs flying in an airplane at cruising altitude. The airplane goes up to 10x faster, but the roller coaster much more fun :D.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Because of some of us like to plan ahead?
If you're just 'planning ahead' then the short answer is, yes, inevitably there will be a turbo option for this car. How long the wait will be, who knows. As alluded to before, I'm sure it depends on how complex the installation is.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
That's something I would be interested in then. As I said earlier, I don't care too much about hitting huge HP numbers, but I want a lot of low end torque available.
Not sure how many high performance V8 cars you've driven, so I'm not sure what perspective you are coming from, but a natural attribute that most have is lots of torque, even down low. I suspect the 2015 will put a big smile on most people's faces even in stock form. You may want to at least drive one before you start setting your sights on power adders.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Not sure how many high performance V8 cars you've driven, so I'm not sure what perspective you are coming from, but a natural attribute that most have is lots of torque, even down low. I suspect the 2015 will put a big smile on most people's faces even in stock form. You may want to at least drive one before you start setting your sights on power adders.
I tried my cousin's 2014 gt, I wasn't impressed below 3000 rpm

1cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang automatic
More low end power

hi,
Ford has added variable intake vanes in the intake tract, this will make the low rpm feel a lot better, I don't think you could improve on it unless you spend 6 grand for a blower and then where are you going to use that much power? The cops around here will impound your car if you are going 30 over the speed limit.
Perry.:frusty:

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
hi,
Ford has added variable intake vanes in the intake tract, this will make the low rpm feel a lot better, I don't think you could improve on it unless you spend 6 grand for a blower and then where are you going to use that much power? The cops around here will impound your car if you are going 30 over the speed limit.
Perry.:frusty:
Well, the question of 'how much power is too much for the street' is a whole other philosophical debate. Some could easily argue that the line is well below what even the stock GT will make.

While I personally agree that the peak power numbers that would be on tap from a power adder are unnecessary and mostly unusable on the street, the extra low end torque can definitely make getting up to the legal speed limit much more fun. :D
Sponsored