Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Yes was not to hard....hey sliver and black would look pretty mean on yours:thumbsup:
Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I've been debating doing it. Seems pretty easy because there's not too many contours to the roof. What did you do for the side edge? Just cut it at the bottom of the water channel?

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Ther is wire tape that you lay down to cut the wrap ..makes super clean edges..then afterwards thers a thicker black tape to put on the edges to keep it protected...so never gets, snagger or ever comes up. Makes it look really clean

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Kind of dark right now but you can still tell him the photo the tape that protects it
20160929_210541-1200x1600.jpg

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I’ve had my Mustang for over a year now and I FINALLY was able to settle on some hood vents. I came THIS close to getting some Roush ones, but I was never in love with those. They’re fine, but 1) everyone and their mothers now has those, and 2) something about the slatted design just didn’t sit well with me. They look cool, but lacked that extra “something.” Then I almost bought Anderson Composites hood vents, but couldn’t justify paying that much for something that was essentially a carbon fiber version of the Roush vents.

I’m glad I waited because I absolutely LOVE the MMD hood vents. They’re subtle enough to look almost stock, but the vent is pointed forward instead of towards the windshield. And the openings are HUGE, almost like a pseudo-ram air intake. I’m sure there’s an increase in air flow to the engine bay with the opening pointing towards the front, but I don’t know for sure and can’t really prove anything. But they look cool, so there’s that, lol.

The install was extremely easy; it took me longer to pop the old vents off than to install the new ones. For this you will need:

• Trim remover tool or a flathead screwdriver
  • 9mm socket (preferably deep well)
  • 4 clip studs included in the package

Start by popping the hood and removing the hood liner. This is super easy to do; simply grab your trim remover or screwdriver, and pop out the push pins holding the liner in place. Maybe lay down a blanket or something over the engine bay in case you drop stuff. I have butterfingers, so I covered the crap out of the bay.

Next, grab your 9mm socket and remove the two 9mm nuts holding the vents in place. You won’t be reusing these nuts, so do what you will with them. Once those are removed, you will see a series of 7 or so clips on the underside of the vents. Press these inward while slowly pulling up on the vent from the outside. During this process, you might want to consider a few things:

• Unless you have hood struts, you might want a second person to hold the hood steady while you work on the clips and vent
  • That second person might also come in handy once the vent does loosen up because they have a tendency to pop out suddenly and could ding your paint or windshield
  • It’s just easier with a second person pulling up on the vents while you depress the clips

Regardless, I did it by myself and everything went fine. Once the vents are off, it might be a good idea to clean up the holes and spray or plastidip them black. The openings in the vents are so big that the body color will show, so if you want it to look dark, you’re going to have to paint the hood openings. I left it colored because I kind of dig having the body color show through. And besides, it’s barely noticeable.

Next, pull out the new vents and makes sure everything is in one piece and not damaged. My UPS guy SUUUUUUUCKS so I always consider myself lucky if everything arrives undamaged.

Once they meet your satisfaction, find the four clip studs included in the box. These clip studs will attach to the two raised sections on the underside of the hood vent. Simply pop them on, remove the washer and nut, and you’re good to go (hard to explain with words, but once you see it, it’s self explanatory).

Once the studs are locked in place, do a quick test fitting so you know where everything is supposed to go. There is a lip on the backside of the vent that has 3m tape, so you’re not going to want to make any mistakes once the tape backing is removed. I found the easiest way is to slide the rear lip in first, press the rest of the vent down, and feed the studs through the hole in the hood.

Once you know how you’re going to pop those babies on, remove the tape backing, and install for real. The tape should provide enough grip for you to move under the hood and put on the washers and nuts that you removed earlier. Simply twist those on the studs, and tighten down (not TOO much). Once the vents are all secured, put the hood liner back on with the push pins, shut the hood, and enjoy your new aggressive look!

Love the looks of this. Do you have any more pics of the car standing farther back? Can't find many photos of this this mod installed on the internet except on AM'a site. Need to see this on a black GT.

Sponsored

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
And here are a few more of mine, not in black obviously:

Great Photos, wanted to ask if you are using any type of paint coating on your mustang or just a good wax?

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Great Photos, wanted to ask if you are using any type of paint coating on your mustang or just a good wax?
Hey brotha, sorry about the delayed response; I just saw this! I don't have any coating (like ceramic, etc). I use Toro Wax on it and that's pretty much it. Unless you also want to count an OCD level of needing to keep the car clean at all times, lol.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey brotha, sorry about the delayed response; I just saw this! I don't have any coating (like ceramic, etc). I use Toro Wax on it and that's pretty much it. Unless you also want to count an OCD level of needing to keep the car clean at all times, lol.
Thanks, I know what you mean by the OCD level of needing to keep the car clean. I purchased a 2016 DIB GT, absolutely love it, but am finding the darker color attracts and shows the dust, dirt, water marks etc..more so than the lighter colors. I still wouldnt change my mind on color though.. I am considering a ceramc coating in the spring to assist with keeping the car looking good as I am often just too busy to give it the attention it needs...

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
What about water blowing in on your engine?

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
Looks neat. The old design took advantage of the low pressure region caused by air flowing over the hood. That inherently pulled hot air out of the engine bay in an attempt to provide cooling.

Now you are possibly causing stagnation by working against the airflow coming through the front grille.

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
I think it would be cool of someone made some carbon fiber ones that replicated the stock vents but had a larger opening and where taller
Sponsored