Sponsored

MMD Hood Vent Scoops Install

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
I’ve had my Mustang for over a year now and I FINALLY was able to settle on some hood vents. I came THIS close to getting some Roush ones, but I was never in love with those. They’re fine, but 1) everyone and their mothers now has those, and 2) something about the slatted design just didn’t sit well with me. They look cool, but lacked that extra “something.” Then I almost bought Anderson Composites hood vents, but couldn’t justify paying that much for something that was essentially a carbon fiber version of the Roush vents.

I’m glad I waited because I absolutely LOVE the MMD hood vents. They’re subtle enough to look almost stock, but the vent is pointed forward instead of towards the windshield. And the openings are HUGE, almost like a pseudo-ram air intake. I’m sure there’s an increase in air flow to the engine bay with the opening pointing towards the front, but I don’t know for sure and can’t really prove anything. But they look cool, so there’s that, lol.

The install was extremely easy; it took me longer to pop the old vents off than to install the new ones. For this you will need:

• Trim remover tool or a flathead screwdriver
  • 9mm socket (preferably deep well)
  • 4 clip studs included in the package

Start by popping the hood and removing the hood liner. This is super easy to do; simply grab your trim remover or screwdriver, and pop out the push pins holding the liner in place. Maybe lay down a blanket or something over the engine bay in case you drop stuff. I have butterfingers, so I covered the crap out of the bay.

Next, grab your 9mm socket and remove the two 9mm nuts holding the vents in place. You won’t be reusing these nuts, so do what you will with them. Once those are removed, you will see a series of 7 or so clips on the underside of the vents. Press these inward while slowly pulling up on the vent from the outside. During this process, you might want to consider a few things:

• Unless you have hood struts, you might want a second person to hold the hood steady while you work on the clips and vent
  • That second person might also come in handy once the vent does loosen up because they have a tendency to pop out suddenly and could ding your paint or windshield
  • It’s just easier with a second person pulling up on the vents while you depress the clips

Regardless, I did it by myself and everything went fine. Once the vents are off, it might be a good idea to clean up the holes and spray or plastidip them black. The openings in the vents are so big that the body color will show, so if you want it to look dark, you’re going to have to paint the hood openings. I left it colored because I kind of dig having the body color show through. And besides, it’s barely noticeable.

Next, pull out the new vents and makes sure everything is in one piece and not damaged. My UPS guy SUUUUUUUCKS so I always consider myself lucky if everything arrives undamaged.

Once they meet your satisfaction, find the four clip studs included in the box. These clip studs will attach to the two raised sections on the underside of the hood vent. Simply pop them on, remove the washer and nut, and you’re good to go (hard to explain with words, but once you see it, it’s self explanatory).

Once the studs are locked in place, do a quick test fitting so you know where everything is supposed to go. There is a lip on the backside of the vent that has 3m tape, so you’re not going to want to make any mistakes once the tape backing is removed. I found the easiest way is to slide the rear lip in first, press the rest of the vent down, and feed the studs through the hole in the hood.

Once you know how you’re going to pop those babies on, remove the tape backing, and install for real. The tape should provide enough grip for you to move under the hood and put on the washers and nuts that you removed earlier. Simply twist those on the studs, and tighten down (not TOO much). Once the vents are all secured, put the hood liner back on with the push pins, shut the hood, and enjoy your new aggressive look!

Sponsored

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
when I saw these I was amazed how a simple reversal of the design looked so good. Also, got me thinking but I didnt look at it, if you had an aftermarket intake with the open top would it cause a ram air effect into the filter??

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Looks really good !! Alot meaner

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had no clue on the underside of the hood, underneath that underhood cover, was a stamped pony....

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Yeah I wish a company or someone would make a cool overlay to put on top of that stamped pony .. supposedly on cold days when the engine heats up the car the Pony emblem will show up through the top of hood like a defrost

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Tomorrow, I'm going to remove my hood insulation and cut an oval out to match the pony.
Should work well because the retainers are right on the corners.
Should pop on my CO paint.

Really nice looking scoops by the way. Where in the engine bay does it direct the air (and water)?

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had no clue on the underside of the hood, underneath that underhood cover, was a stamped pony....
I didn't either. It was a cool surprise

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when I saw these I was amazed how a simple reversal of the design looked so good. Also, got me thinking but I didnt look at it, if you had an aftermarket intake with the open top would it cause a ram air effect into the filter??
I was wondering that myself since I run a Steeda CAI and one of the openings literally sits right on top of the filter. I'm sure it increases airflow but I'm not sure it's a proper ram air effect. It's just an opening; there's nothing to suggest there's any sort of pressurization going into the intake.

I bet it just helps cool stuff down, lol. And it looks nice. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really nice looking scoops by the way. Where in the engine bay does it direct the air (and water)?
Thanks! And as far as air and water, that's a good question. It sits in the same spot (obviously) as the stock vents but since it points forward, I imagine water/air gets forced into a different spot. The driver's side sits right on top of my Steeda CAI which I know has a hole to drain water, and the passenger side sits roughly on top of the fuse box. Since it never rains here in CA, I probably won't have a chance to test it out for a while, lol

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I was wondering that myself since I run a Steeda CAI and one of the openings literally sits right on top of the filter. I'm sure it increases airflow but I'm not sure it's a proper ram air effect. It's just an opening; there's nothing to suggest there's any sort of pressurization going into the intake.

I bet it just helps cool stuff down, lol. And it looks nice. :thumbsup:
I've wondered about a CAI that had a feeder from the hood vent, specifically by using a reverse scoop like the OP installed.

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Looks really nice! Wish I had seen these before I got my Roush ones. Shoot, I might just sell the Roush and pick up a set of these!

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks really nice! Wish I had seen these before I got my Roush ones. Shoot, I might just sell the Roush and pick up a set of these!
Thanks!

I've wondered about a CAI that had a feeder from the hood vent, specifically by using a reverse scoop like the OP installed.
That's the thing; if it had a feeder tube and functioned like an actual ram air, that would be sweet. but the way it's now is just air going into the scoop and going wherever. Probably good for cooling, but doubtful that there are any benefits beyond that

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
They do look really nice I'm really happy with the Drake heat extractors as well.it's nice we got cool options out there

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They do look really nice I'm really happy with the Drake heat extractors as well.it's nice we got cool options out there
It really is. A year after taking ownership of the car and I'm finally able to pick and choose, lol. The more the better!
Sponsored