Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hi guys,

I'd be grateful for some advice.

I have the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs on my car and I love the stance. I often get favorable comments.

I don't currently run spacers and I'm not a fan of getting the tyres really tight in the wheel arches. I know it's a very popular look in the car scene at the moment - it's just not my thing.

That being said, the front wheels would look better moved out a tad. I'm happy with the way the rears look, particularly since switching to Michelins which appear to have more rubber protruding beyond the wheel rims than the P Zeros.

So is it mechanically acceptable to just space the front wheels and can I add a small amount (Say 10 to 15mm) without having to cut the original studs? My wheels are from the OEM Custom Pack.

Thanks
David
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
10 to 15 mm is more than your car's OE wheel studs can tolerate (you need at least one stud's diameter worth of full-form thread engagement), but you can source longer wheel studs that will safely work.

Even 15 mm isn't enough spacer thickness for the bolt-on kind.

Better than cutting the OE wheel studs so you can use bolt-on spacers/adapters would be to press the wheel studs out of the spacers and use them as slip-on spacers (with the required longer studs fitted to the hubs).

Norm

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
10 to 15 mm is more than your car's OE wheel studs can tolerate (you need at least one stud's diameter worth of full-form thread engagement), but you can source longer wheel studs that will safely work.

Even 15 mm isn't enough spacer thickness for the bolt-on kind.

Better than cutting the OE wheel studs so you can use bolt-on spacers/adapters would be to press the wheel studs out of the spacers and use them as slip-on spacers (with the required longer studs fitted to the hubs).

Norm
Thanks Norm. With the non-bolt on type, is there a safe thickness? I’ve seen 5mm and 8mm for sale.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need to cut the studs, I was running 25mm front and rear with a 1 inch drop in suspension height on stock wheels and never had an issue with clearance.

WP_20170424_16_45_18_Pro__highres.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
You don't need to cut the studs, I was running 25mm front and rear with a 1 inch drop in suspension height on stock wheels and never had an issue with clearance.
That makes sense but I just want a small adjustment on the front e.g. 10 -15mm max. I'm not into the 'tight to the wheel arch' look which is all the rage. But it seems like you can either go for a very thin spacer (say 5mm) with the original studs or use the bolt on type at 25mm+. Between the two requires cut or replacement studs if I'm understanding correctly.
Cheers - David

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
or get bigger wheels, I removed the spacers once I went 20" 😁

cover-image.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think standard studs protrude 30mm front and back (confirmed for the back of my 20 MagneRide car).

I think MagneRide front studs are 36mm (I've not yet confirmed this).

I got told that the largest slip on spacer you can put on a standard stud safely is 5 or 6mm

If I find that the front MagneRide studs are 6mm longer than that would suggest I could fit a 12mm hub centric spacer on the front without changing the studs.

I guess a non MagneRide car would be limited to 5 or 6mm slip on spacers for both front and rear without compromising thread engagement / safety.

Please do your own checks though rather than trusting all the above 100% :like:

WD :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
6mm is the limit. The other option is to bash the fender in and you can do as much of that as you like without worrying about thread engagement.

OllyMidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olly
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Land Rover Discovery 5
I have 18mm spacers on the front of mine. I actually have a pair of 18mm and 25mm that I will be looking to put on Ebay in the next day or two separately FYI...

111.jpg
Sponsored