Mini-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Once things go relatively back to normal, and ammo is more available, I'm thinking about picking up a Mini-14 Ranch. Any shooters out there have opinions? My rifles are primarily for range shooting.
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Don't own one but for years people that have them rave about them, good solid firearm. Plus in today's society they appear to be a docile firearm compared to an AR. Same ammo, magazine feed etc.. , but not being black with furniture it looks like a firearm uncle Henry had around the farm for snakes.

If you have an outdoor range you can go to, I think it would be a great rifle

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
You might want to go ahead and pick up the rifle and a couple of extra magazines.

The democrates are doing everything they can right now to cause disruption to the point where law abiding citizens having to protect themselves. When they do, then the news will support the idea saying private citizens can't have guns.
The democrates will be on news every night saying how out of control it is etc...
Ammo is again getting in short supply, as are good firearms.

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I do like wood furniture firearms, they just have a classic look/feel. Polymer can be wrapped around a good gun, but wood is timeless.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I've owned 2 for quite a while. Both are the Ranch version, one blued w/iron sights, one stainless w/scope. Great rifles that cycle very well, no jams.

Had a trigger job done on the blued model and it helped a bit, though I do like a 'crisp' trigger.

Sponsored

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have two as well. The first my dad bought in the early 80s, the second I've had for about 10 years. Both of mine have wood stocks, although my stainless one was originally a synthetic stock. Both have scopes, although I always kinda enjoyed using the peep sights.

Both are good rifles. As mentioned before...solid, reliable, good looking.

MOST of them do eat 223. However, there were a hand full of minis that were chambered in some other calibers. Also...just for the sake of saying...there is also the mini30 that is chambered in 7.62x39...same as the sks and ak47

There are a few different models as well. I really wanted one of the Mini14 targets when they came out. The first version had a gray laminate stock and an adjustable compensator. Really nice looking gun.

My favorite for looks would be the old folding stock variety...the exact same thing they had on the A-Team back in the 80s. The price of those has really climbed on those though.

As much as I like them, you are going to read ALOT of people saying they are not as good as an AR...not as accurate, not as easy to upgrade, not as many accessories. And that is probably all true. BUT for me personally...if I'm just packing a rifle to pack it thru the woods or have in the truck..I will grab one of my min14s before I take my AR. I just prefer it

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I dont have any mini 14's but probably one of my favorite recent purchases is the Stribog SP9A1. I love this thing and added the ACR folding stock conversion. Cute lil backpack gun. Its 9mm. more sub gun styled

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I have two as well. The first my dad bought in the early 80s, the second I've had for about 10 years. Both of mine have wood stocks, although my stainless one was originally a synthetic stock. Both have scopes, although I always kinda enjoyed using the peep sights.

Both are good rifles. As mentioned before...solid, reliable, good looking.

MOST of them do eat 223. However, there were a hand full of minis that were chambered in some other calibers. Also...just for the sake of saying...there is also the mini30 that is chambered in 7.62x39...same as the sks and ak47

There are a few different models as well. I really wanted one of the Mini14 targets when they came out. The first version had a gray laminate stock and an adjustable compensator. Really nice looking gun.

My favorite for looks would be the old folding stock variety...the exact same thing they had on the A-Team back in the 80s. The price of those has really climbed on those though.

As much as I like them, you are going to read ALOT of people saying they are not as good as an AR...not as accurate, not as easy to upgrade, not as many accessories. And that is probably all true. BUT for me personally...if I'm just packing a rifle to pack it thru the woods or have in the truck..I will grab one of my min14s before I take my AR. I just prefer it
I was looking at the mini30, but was told it won't feed cheap ammo like steel Russian surplus. I'd rather get a Saiga if I'm getting a 7.62. To me that's the point of an old style gun like that, to feed it cheap ammo all day with no complaints.

As for AR's, I would only buy one if it has a piston style system. They're less common and usually more expensive than the standard direct impingement guns. I'm just not comfortable with a rifle that, by design, shits where it eats.

I dont have any mini 14's but probably one of my favorite recent purchases is the Stribog SP9A1. I love this thing and added the ACR folding stock conversion. Cute lil backpack gun. Its 9mm.
Nice, but I've already got a Ruger PC carbine. It's a 9mm takedown, and I do stick it in a backpack.

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
Once things go relatively back to normal, and ammo is more available, I'm thinking about picking up a Mini-14 Ranch. Any shooters out there have opinions? My rifles are primarily for range shooting.
The mini 14 is accuracy challenged. Not as bad as the old ones (which could be horrible - I've seen 20 MOA) but not good. There's too much barrel to stock contact. The pricing is higher than ARs. The accessory situation is worse. The optics situation is worse.

You have to have some aesthetic attachment to the mini 14 or a very specific legal situation to want one IMO.

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
As for AR's, I would only buy one if it has a piston style system. They're less common and usually more expensive than the standard direct impingement guns. I'm just not comfortable with a rifle that, by design, shits where it eats.
Having dealt with DI ARs, piston ARs, and various other piston/op rod designs, the DI AR is the best approach. Not only is it the most accurate since there's no piston moving while the bullet is still in the barrel, but it's also the easiest to keep clean. Removing crap from the bolt is a minor problem. Removing crap from an AR piston system typically requires much more disassembly.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
The mini 14 is accuracy challenged. Not as bad as the old ones (which could be horrible - I've seen 20 MOA) but not good. There's too much barrel to stock contact. The pricing is higher than ARs. The accessory situation is worse. The optics situation is worse.

You have to have some aesthetic attachment to the mini 14 or a very specific legal situation to want one IMO.
@Dweisman429 said this would happen :giggle:. While I appreciate the info, I have no interest in an AR, aestheticly or legally.
Having dealt with DI ARs, piston ARs, and various other piston/op rod designs, the DI AR is the best approach. Not only is it the most accurate since there's no piston moving while the bullet is still in the barrel, but it's also the easiest to keep clean. Removing crap from the bolt is a minor problem. Removing crap from an AR piston system typically requires much more disassembly.
Piston systems shouldn't need to be cleaned with any kind of frequency. Never heard of any AK, or Sig, or whatever requiring frequent "deep" cleaning. I just feel like AR's are too touchy, accurate or not.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I have a mini tactical. Great little gun. The new barrel design makes for a more accurate Gun then the older mini’s. Accuracy is on par with a AR. (I own both) Mags are expensive. Seams like the only mags that work flawlessly in these guns are factory mags.

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
@Dweisman429 said this would happen :giggle:.
Of course it's going to happen. You asked about opinions on gun A, that is inferior in essentially every measurable way including cost to gun B. Someone's going to mention it. You can of course buy gun A, just realize you are paying more for a functionally worse gun because you've decided that's what you want to do. Which is fine.
Piston systems shouldn't need to be cleaned with any kind of frequency. Never heard of any AK, or Sig, or whatever requiring frequent "deep" cleaning. I just feel like AR's are too touchy, accurate or not.
Every field stripping procedure I've ever seen for the AK removes the piston and gas cylinder. Not speaking Russian, I can't say what the official manual says is but it certainly appears the mechanism is designed to be cleaned at every field stripping. There's no question the Garand's is - it's clearly stated in the manual.

Piston systems in general require MORE maintenance (cleaning the bolt AND gas system) than DI systems, blowback systems, and recoil systems (just the bolt) due to the additional parts. Them's the facts. You could argue the bolt is slightly harder to clean on DI, but not by much.

If you wanted to pick a real objection to the AR's DI system, it would be gas blowby when suppressed. Not hard to fix with aftermarket parts, but a legitimate issue that requires attention. On the AR10 variants you could also argue a regulator or adjustable gas block is needed for suppression. If you don't intend to suppress it, neither issue matters.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
They're solid guns, as are most Rugers.

However, if you're after accuracy over distance, a good bolt-action will be better than a semi-auto....

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Of course it's going to happen. You asked about opinions on gun A, that is inferior in essentially every measurable way including cost to gun B. Someone's going to mention it. You can of course buy gun A, just realize you are paying more for a functionally worse gun because you've decided that's what you want to do. Which is fine.

Every field stripping procedure I've ever seen for the AK removes the piston and gas cylinder. Not speaking Russian, I can't say what the official manual says is but it certainly appears the mechanism is designed to be cleaned at every field stripping. There's no question the Garand's is - it's clearly stated in the manual.

Piston systems in general require MORE maintenance (cleaning the bolt AND gas system) than DI systems, blowback systems, and recoil systems (just the bolt) due to the additional parts. Them's the facts. You could argue the bolt is slightly harder to clean on DI, but not by much.

If you wanted to pick a real objection to the AR's DI system, it would be gas blowby when suppressed. Not hard to fix with aftermarket parts, but a legitimate issue that requires attention. On the AR10 variants you could also argue a regulator or adjustable gas block is needed for suppression. If you don't intend to suppress it, neither issue matters.
Dude, I asked Mini-14 owners their opinions on the Mini-14. I didn't ask Miata owners their opinion on the Miata. That's right the AR is the Miata of guns. No matter where you are, or what the topic, AR/Miata owners will chime in about how much better they are. Good day sir!
They're solid guns, as are most Rugers.

However, if you're after accuracy over distance, a good bolt-action will be better than a semi-auto....
More about plinking than nail driving for me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.