Not open for further replies.

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
Dude, I asked Mini-14 owners their opinions on the Mini-14.
Read your own post. You asked:
Any shooters out there have opinions?
And your got one: namely that the mini-14 is an inferior rifle at a premium price point. And that opinion is backed up by numerous indisputable facts about the rifle and the surrounding ecosystem. What you choose to do with that information is up to you.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Read your own post. You asked:

And your got one: namely that the mini-14 is an inferior rifle at a premium price point. And that opinion is backed up by numerous indisputable facts about the rifle and the surrounding ecosystem. What you choose to do with that information is up to you.
i-said-good-day-sir.jpg

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There's my stainless mini.

The older one is nothing much to look at...still a great gun...just been carried around in a truck cab most of it's life

Always liked the mini. Always will like the mini. I'm sure you will as well.
1595207798973300657650.jpg
15952078440851462879004.jpg

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
There's my stainless mini.

The older one is nothing much to look at...still a great gun...just been carried around in a truck cab most of it's life

Always liked the mini. Always will like the mini. I'm sure you will as well.
1595207798973300657650.jpg
15952078440851462879004.jpg
Yup, getting one as soon as it is feasible to get one. The range I go to is open again, but ammo...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Dude, I asked Mini-14 owners their opinions on the Mini-14. I didn't ask Miata owners their opinion on the Miata. That's right the AR is the Miata of guns. No matter where you are, or what the topic, AR/Miata owners will chime in about how much better they are. Good day sir!
:giggle:Good analogy. I likened them more to Chevy guys. Or worse C6G guys. It’s like the f$#cking highlander movie with them. “There can be only ONE!”

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
:giggle:Good analogy. I likened them more to Chevy guys. Or worse C6G guys. It’s like the f$#cking highlander movie with them. “There can be only ONE!”
Seriously, and the vast majority on the market are cheap crap. You have to spend $1000's to get a quality AR. As soon as things get somewhat back to "Normal", I'm buying a Mini-14.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Seriously, and the vast majority on the market are cheap crap. You have to spend $1000's to get a quality AR. As soon as things get somewhat back to "Normal", I'm buying a Mini-14.
Yep I bought a Mossberg MMR. Not cheap junk. But not a tack driver either. I put it in the same category as the mini. I have a $100 Russian SKS I bought back in the 80s, that shoots as good as both.

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Yep I bought a Mossberg MMR. Not cheap junk. But not a tack driver either. I put it in the same category as the mini. I have a $100 Russian SKS I bought back in the 80s, that shoots as good as both.
I'd love an SKS, but you can't just go to a store and buy one.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I'd love an SKS, but you can't just go to a store and buy one.
Back in the day. They would give you a free one if you bought a few boxes of ammo.:cwl:Times have changed. I’ve had mine since 85 and it’s one of the few I’d never consider selling.

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a mini tactical. Great little gun. The new barrel design makes for a more accurate Gun then the older mini’s. Accuracy is on par with a AR. (I own both) Mags are expensive. Seams like the only mags that work flawlessly in these guns are factory mags.
This..... great little gun. I’ve never had a problem with it eating any kind of ammo in the Ruger mags. They are picky about the magazine or sure but are built like a tank and fun to shoot. Wouldn’t even try to compare it to an AR... very different gun. As an enthusiast I appreciate the differences and like both.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I was looking at the mini30, but was told it won't feed cheap ammo like steel Russian surplus. I'd rather get a Saiga if I'm getting a 7.62. To me that's the point of an old style gun like that, to feed it cheap ammo all day with no complaints.

As for AR's, I would only buy one if it has a piston style system. They're less common and usually more expensive than the standard direct impingement guns. I'm just not comfortable with a rifle that, by design, shits where it eats.

Nice, but I've already got a Ruger PC carbine. It's a 9mm takedown, and I do stick it in a backpack.
If you want a wood stock, go with the Mini-14. Great rifle. As to a gas operated AR, fear not. The problem with reliability with the non-piston driven AR's was not the gas impingement system. It was the bolt carrier group. If it got too dry and dirty it could hang up. If it was over lubed it could also be problematic. This can be exacerbated by cheap ammo. The solution is getting a BCG with a coating designed to stay slick. I still use Nickle Boron and have had zero issues. Clean up is also a comparative breeze, just wipe it down. I run a small amount of lube, but they will run dry, so the necessary care required on the standard BCG to keep it running is a thing of the past if you just spend a little bit of cash for a nickle boron or other slick coating bolt. Everything in this life is made of pluses and minuses and the AR platform is no different. I've put 10s of thousands of rounds through gas impingement AR's. I can count on one hand the number of stoppages I've had and none once I switched to NiB. Some food for thought:

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/rifles-reviews/ar-15-gas-impingement-vs-piston

https://aimsurplus.com/aim-ar-m16-223-5-56-nib-9310-mpi-bolt-carrier-group/

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
This is simply not accurate. If you want a Mini-14, then get one, but don't down the AR platform to make your case. What does "cheap crap" mean? That it won't hold better than a 1 MOA Group? That it will have constant malfunctions? That it will fall apart? I would be willing to bet that I could put a material list together for you that would have a top notch trigger, top notch barrel that can deliver .75MOA groups, super high quality upper, lower and hand guards, with great iron sights, nice accessories and compensator for 1,500 to 2K. You do not have to get an HK or Wilson to get a "non-crap" AR. Noveske is reliable as hell. So is SIG. You can get models by either for under 1K. Personally I built mine and would highly recommend going that route. If you don't know what you are doing. Buy the parts and have a gunsmith put it together for you for a hundred bucks. I built mine for about 2,100 and it is quite bad ass and the best shooters in the world would not call it "crap."

Spike's Tactical makes great rifles, yes if you want them super tricked out with Billet upper/lowers (what I built mine with), they can get pricey, but here is a fine rifle right here for 1,580. Pull the Nickle Boron battle trigger out, sell it for 50 bucks. Put a 240.00 Geissele SSA-E trigger in and you can drive tacks all day and the machining on everything will be top notch for under 1,800 bones.

https://spikestactical.com/collections/complete-rifles/wahine/

BTW I own a Maple stocked Ruger Mk II Varmint bolt gun that holds between 0.5-0.75MOA and is beautiful, so I'm not just an AR snob...

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
This is simply not accurate. If you want a Mini-14, then get one, but don't down the AR platform to make your case. What does "cheap crap" mean? That it won't hold better than a 1 MOA Group? That it will have constant malfunctions? That it will fall apart? I would be willing to bet that I could put a material list together for you that would have a top notch trigger, top notch barrel that can deliver .75MOA groups, super high quality upper, lower and hand guards, with great iron sights, nice accessories and compensator for 1,500 to 2K. You do not have to get an HK or Wilson to get a "non-crap" AR. Noveske is reliable as hell. So is SIG. You can get models by either for under 1K. Personally I built mine and would highly recommend going that route. If you don't know what you are doing. Buy the parts and have a gunsmith put it together for you for a hundred bucks. I built mine for about 2,100 and it is quite bad ass and the best shooters in the world would not call it "crap."

Spike's Tactical makes great rifles, yes if you want them super tricked out with Billet upper/lowers (what I built mine with), they can get pricey, but here is a fine rifle right here for 1,580. Pull the Nickle Boron battle trigger out, sell it for 50 bucks. Put a 240.00 Geissele SSA-E trigger in and you can drive tacks all day and the machining on everything will be top notch for under 1,800 bones.

https://spikestactical.com/collections/complete-rifles/wahine/

BTW I own a Maple stocked Ruger Mk II Varmint bolt gun that holds between 0.5-0.75MOA and is beautiful, so I'm not just an AR snob...
I like maple, good wood. Just bustin' balls, but I really have no interest in an AR.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I like maple, good wood. Just bustin' balls, but I really have no interest in an AR.
All good man. I like lots of stuff that goes bang. And I got 29.7mpg in my A10 on the highway for a stretch today, so there's that...

OP
OP

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
All good man. I like lots of stuff that goes bang. And I got 29.7mpg in my A10 on the highway for a stretch today, so there's that...
How? I get 22 at best.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.