Middle class income & new car prices

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Yet another sign the automakers are facing trouble here in America. Can't really afford to buy a new $50k Ford vehicle? Then get an 8 year loan on it without the proper credit to even be doing so means automaker finance companies are screwing the average person who isn't savvy with money blind! You can't ignore trends. Americans may want big bloated pricey SUV's and trucks and not cars, but they sure can't afford them. My rule has always been, if I can't write a check for it, I can't afford it. Unfortunately my rule of thumb makes me almost a statistical outlier and a pretty rare car buyer. What do you think? Leave a comment on this short video, its eye opening and hopefully makes some people stop, pause, and think about what they are doing with their money.
Sponsored

BuckeyeBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang 545cid, 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Z/28, 2013 Charger 392
Yep. Developing and using more and more tech to meet tougher and tougher worldwide government regulations means more cost and higher prices for consumers. Who knew?

Not to mention the ridiculous amount that college tuition has shot up and the debt on Millennials.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I agree with the premise of this thread. But even on this forum, you have people spending $1000s on car modifications all on credit. Scary

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
In the UK less than 5% of new cars are bought for cash. About 5% on HP and 90% on PCP

Having said that, at the right time with the right car, finance can be cheaper than cash when you take into account deposit contributions and interest rates.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Yet another sign the automakers are facing trouble here in America. Can't really afford to buy a new $50k Ford vehicle? Then get an 8 year loan on it without the proper credit to even be doing so means automaker finance companies are screwing the average person who isn't savvy with money blind! You can't ignore trends. Americans may want big bloated pricey SUV's and trucks and not cars, but they sure can't afford them. My rule has always been, if I can't write a check for it, I can't afford it. Unfortunately my rule of thumb makes me almost a statistical outlier and a pretty rare car buyer. What do you think? Leave a comment on this short video, its eye opening and hopefully makes some people stop, pause, and think about what they are doing with their money.
Interesting read on new car prices and why average is rising
https://www.financialsamurai.com/average-new-car-price/

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Jeez... 8yr car loans and here I thought doing a 4 yr was outrageous....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Interesting that their discussing American cars and not including the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, Hyundai Sonata, & Nissan Altima. All "made" in America and all within the monthly payments of those buyers discussed in the news clip. Not everyone is buying $50K plus cars and trucks.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Jeez... 8yr car loans and here I thought doing a 4 yr was outrageous....
You are so right. The standard for years was 36 months. Of course cars cost a lot less then.

I took Ford up on their offer for 0%/72 months on my 19' GT/CS. Why not? My money stays invested and I can pay it off whenever I want with no penalty.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
You are so right. The standard for years was 36 months. Of course cars cost a lot less then.

I took Ford up on their offer for 0%/72 months on my 19' GT/CS. Why not? My money stays invested and I can pay it off whenever I want with no penalty.
You usually lose other incentives when you go 0% so it ends up costing more than the cash price. It was for me when I bought my Mustang so I bought it outright.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You usually lose other incentives when you go 0% so it ends up costing more than the cash price. It was for me when I bought my Mustang so I bought it outright.
Yes, absolutely, you have to be careful. I looked at the total deal and found that what I was saving in interest plus my ROI far outweighed the slight difference the cost of my car was.

Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Yup, the incentive/cashback on the Mustang was much greater when I bought it if paying in cash. You gotta look at how the incentive compares to how much you think that money could make invested (assuming you have investments). In my experience it's usually (but not always) better to pay cash rather than finance.

Anyways I'm glad cars are getting more expensive, it will motivate people to take better care of their cars if they know it'll be harder to just buy a new one.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
I had no idea that an 8 year loan was even a possibility on a car... And 8% interest? Yeesh... That guy would have been underwater for years. I'm not going to act like I don't have a loan on my car... but my 48 month loan makes me feel like a financial guru, compared to the average sucker at this dealer, apparently.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Yup, the incentive/cashback on the Mustang was much greater when I bought it if paying in cash. .
This was what I found as well. There was an additional $2500 discount on my car if I didn't finance through Ford at their lower rates which quite frankly weren't all that lower (about 1.25%) than my line of credit was. So I used my line of credit for the transaction until I could free up the cash to pay it off shortly thereafter.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Most of the people that I know with more car than they can otherwise afford have them leased. It has a ROI of exactly zero, but you can drive a nice car foe 2 or 3 years with a reasonable payment.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Note that Ford is right in the thick of this. They dumped their car line with the specific intent that they were going to move those buyers into larger, more expensive CUVs that they can make more money on.

It seems to me that it's a relatively recent phenomenon that middle income families would even consider a new car as a good use of their money. Never mind buying one (or two) that that are more than they can afford and rolling that debt forward loan after the loan the way some people do today.

There seems to have been an abject failure in the last two generations to teach kids some common sense about money management and planning for the future. The same problem is a big part of why student debt has exploded. Spend it today, worry about it tomorrow and then complain about the people that you just stupidly gave all your money to.
Sponsored