• Watchers 12

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
No thanks. That wouldn't be a Mustang, not interested.
There you go. My point about taking the risk of ignoring your market reveals itself.

I also understand that Ford as well as the other manufacturers have a big problem to solve with EV as well. On one hand many states have politically ventured out into what they think are safe waters by boldly banning the sale of gasoline vehicles by 2035 or whatever. In other words self-anointed morons have decided what the future market WILL BE. The auto makers then have to fall on their sword a bit here and conform to a mixed strategy of giving consumers what they want while telling them what they can make and sell.

On the other hand there's nobody innovating on how our infrastructure is going to support a massive influx of EV consumers versus gasoline. Given how things are now there will be much fewer people operating a vehicle or can afford to without simple and cheap ways of recharging within a distance the vehicle can travel, and it won't cost an arm and a leg or require the average consumer to wait for hours in line.

Here in Washington State a vast majority of electricity comes from hydroelectric, but while demand is increasing local politics is a dumpster fire. There are groups trying to ban the use of hydroelectric dams due to impacts to the local ecology. At the same time nobody wants to re-visit nuclear energy. The illusion most of these groups are operating under is wind and solar power will be enough even though those two alternatives only provide at most 10% of the electrial demand the state currently requires. Finally, our governor just patted himself on the back for signing a bill that bans gasoline vehicle sales by 2035 last year.

Apparently we're all going back to covered wagons.

So It's hard to predict what your changes will do to your market share. Introducing a mid-engine version of the car that traditionally people either love or love to hate is a dubious business decision even if you wanted to.

So Ford experiments with the Mach-E to see what the market will tolerate. Ironically we don't see protests at the Ford headquarters this time around. You just hear people complaining at car shows.

Conclusion: an electric only mustang is more likely than a mid-engine one.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Conclusion: an electric only mustang is more likely than a mid-engine one.
A mid engine Mustang is nothing but a pipe dream. A nightmare possibly but still dream. An electric 2 door coupe Mustang is going to happen. It's a done deal.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A mid engine Mustang is nothing but a pipe dream. A nightmare possibly but still dream. An electric Mustang is going to happen. It's a done deal.
Technically, an electric Mustang already exists though in an SUV format (Ford says it’s a Mustang whether folks like it or not). And yes, a coupe version is a done deal, just a matter of when, not if.

OP
OP

Deleted member 69033

Not that I disagree with any of the statements made, but a lot of it is what vette guys were saying a few years ago. A mid engine is not a vette, etc etc. I know a couple vette purists that absolutely hate the c8, and say it's not a real vette....

I did see they're doing a c8 that's awd and hybrid coming up. There's an op in here doing a 2015 gt awd conversion.... Pretty amazing... Check it out if you haven't...
z6A2EY.gif

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Not that I disagree with any of the statements made, but a lot of it is what vette guys were saying a few years ago. A mid engine is not a vette, etc etc. I know a couple vette purists that absolutely hate the c8, and say it's not a real vette....
Exactly. I made that point earlier in this thread.

But previous Corvettes were actually sports cars. Making the C8 mid-engine didn't change what type of car it is.

Making the Mustang mid-engine would change what type of car it is. Instead of doing that, just buy a C8 Corvette. I like the Mustang for what it is.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Back to mid-engine: how hard can that be? Mustang already has the independent rear suspension, just replace the differential with a Tremec transaxle. Build an engine cradle (easy...bwahaha), keep the existing radiator and run coolant lines down the driveshaft tunnel. If the V8 is too long replace it with the Ecoboost V6.
Done. Sort of. I would buy it if it were under $70K.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Back to mid-engine: how hard can that be? Mustang already has the independent rear suspension, just replace the differential with a Tremec transaxle. Build an engine cradle (easy...bwahaha), keep the existing radiator and run coolant lines down the driveshaft tunnel. If the V8 is too long replace it with the Ecoboost V6.
Done. Sort of. I would buy it if it were under $70K.
Difficulty isn’t the issue, it’s overall resources on a platform (ICE) that is dying. I would think they would allocate resources to a hybrid long before a mid engine at this point, and the hybrid is probably a long shot at best. Will likely go right to EV after the ICE run is done.

OP
OP

Deleted member 69033

Difficulty isn’t the issue, it’s overall resources on a platform (ICE) that is dying. I would think they would allocate resources to a hybrid long before a mid engine at this point, and the hybrid is probably a long shot at best. Will likely go right to EV after the ICE run is done.
Probably so. Dodge is already doing it, no?

Had to roll my eyes though when I found it it makes engine noises through the sound system, lol.....
https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_220818152340-dodge-electric-muscle-car.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Had to roll my eyes though when I found it it makes engine noises through the sound system, lol.....
https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_220818152340-dodge-electric-muscle-car.jpg
Correct, ICE Charger and Challenger are dead after this year I believe. I couldn’t stop laughing when they unveiled the EV with the fake engine noises. At first I thought the teaser was a joke but I was dying when it was part of the reveal. Ford has their cheesy crap with the S650 too with the revving via app or remote. But at least it’s still a V8!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

and talk about handling through weight balance: not only is most of the weight between the wheels, it is also below the floor! These are going to corner like no muscle car ever has. While the onlookers laugh at the engine noises. ;)

Sponsored

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
I'm always amazed at how threatened some peeps get by the idea of new or additional products. Let Ford try it. If it works, great! More fun for all. If it doesn't, well you've got yourself a collectors item, Homer. Beer companies do it. Booze companies do it. Clothing companies do it. Home builders do it. Stop the pearl clutching and jaw clenching and have some fun, FFS.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT

That's not a new feature. Teslas have that as an option for quite a while. In fact they make it customizable so you can actually program it to emit all kinds of goofy sounds.

I have to say - I LOVE the body design here that Dodge is putting out. I like this better than the S650 sorry to say. The funny thing is they're also showing the exact same design for their V8 send-off, so I'm wondering if they're going to use the same open grill for an EV car vs. one that has a V8.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That's not a new feature. Teslas have that as an option for quite a while. In fact they make it customizable so you can actually program it to emit all kinds of goofy sounds.

I have to say - I LOVE the body design here that Dodge is putting out. I like this better than the S650 sorry to say. The funny thing is they're also showing the exact same design for their V8 send-off, so I'm wondering if they're going to use the same open grill for an EV car vs. one that has a V8.
The farting sounds that the Tesla can make cracks my kids up 😂

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
(Ford says it’s a Mustang whether folks like it or not).
Ford also said a front-wheel-drive car would replace the Mustang.
You could be forgiven if you forgot that FWD car; It was discontinued in 1997.
Sponsored