Michelin PS4S for Handling Pack available at Costco

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
We wanted to chime in, however only with the intent to provide clarity and transparency between the types of road hazard protection offered in our industry.

The road hazard warranty that this competitor offers on their tires like many others is a prorated adjustment warranty. For example, if you got a set of tires from them and after 2 years one of them got a nail that could not be repaired. They would take a tread depth measurement and you would receive a prorated credit based on how much tread was remaining on the tires. So if the tire started at 10/32 and you now have 5/32 remaining, you would receive credit on only the remaining tread depth, not the full cost of a tire.

Our certificate program is a 100% replacement of the tire as long as it has more than 3/32 and is less than 3 years from the date of purchase. However we also include a prorated road hazard coverage with every tire purchase should the certificates not be of interest.

Here is the full details on our Certificate program:

Also, here are more details on the prorated coverage we offer, please see second check mark:

As I noted, my intent was only to provide clarity, I would recommend always checking the small print of the coverage that retailers are offering as some of them are only 1 year or for the first 2-3/32 of the tire.

Please feel free to shoot us a pm with any further questions
I've used you guys for years and always had great service but Costco has you guys by a few years in the road hazard category. My wife bought her tires at Discount Tire and got the certificates and had to use one within the first month due to a nail in her passenger back right tire. I have nothing against Discount Tire at all and I do highly recommend you guys to anyone for great service that's fast and usually very fair on pricing.

I will clarify my decision in why I went with Costco this round especially on an expensive tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S:

Road Hazard Warranty Terms and Conditions | Costco Tires

Also:

Discount Tire Vs Costco | CarShtuff

3. Tire Warranty
It's critical to think about the retailer's guarantee for your peace of mind. The vendor will provide great support and service during the warranty period. Subject to the terms and conditions, this may encompass both repair and replacement.

In both Discount Tire and Costco's cases, you are covered by the tire manufacturer's warranty. However, the tire warranty at Costco is superior.

Costco is superior because it provides a five-year road hazard warranty. This is not the same as the manufacturer's warranty. Costco offers a free 5-year "Road Hazard Protection" coverage on all of its tires in addition to the normal tire manufacturer warranty.

Costco's guarantee covers tread degradation and damage for five years. If there is an issue with the tire during the warranty period, they will fix or replace it. If you choose a replacement, you will receive a credit on your purchase.

The same road hazard coverage is available from Discount Tire, but it is just for three years. Worse, unlike Costco, where the guarantee is included in the price of the tire, you will have to pay for it. Road hazard coverage is available from Discount Tire. For up to three years after purchase, the coverage provides your new tire set.

Many of the tires sold at Costco and Discount include a manufacturer's standard distance warranty. Depending on the manufacturer, these normally have a guarantee of 50k to 80k miles. If you travel 15k miles per year, you'll have enough coverage for 3-5 years.

Also, a three-year warranty is included when you acquire a Discount Tire Certificate. The additional cost will be determined by the tire brand you choose. It can cost anything from $10 to $100, which can be prohibitively expensive for some purchasers.

A Closer Look at the Warranty of Discount Tire
In addition to the manufacturer's usual distance guarantee, Discount Tire offers its own "Discount Tire Certificate," which functions as a three-year warranty.

You can get a complete refund or a replacement if your tires fail within this period. Keep in mind, however, that this warranty will cost you more per tire.

The cost of a product is determined by the brand and model. This charge might range from $10 to $100 per tire. Discount Tire does not offer a normal manufacturer's warranty on every tire it sells. The normal warranties on the tires do have varied lengths.

A Closer Look at the Tire Warranty of Costco
The Road Hazard Protection guarantee from Costco covers your tires for five years against tire breakdown or treadwear damage. If the tire fails or is damaged during that time range, Costco will replace or repair it. Costco is fair about this, and in most cases, their Road Hazard Warranty will be honored.

If you opt to have your tire replaced, Costco will give you credit on your purchase based on the amount of tread left on your tire.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Wow did the price go up on these!

In 2020 I bought these tires for $650 for rears and $570 for the fronts.
Not to patronize, but are you sure you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison? Were the tires you bought the same size as the OP's? These are the 305 and 315 width tires to fit the HP wheels.

I know I bought Sport Cup 2s for my GT4 way back in 2017, and I'm buying more right now, and the prices aren't all that significantly more today.

OP
OP
JDM_WAAAT

JDM_WAAAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 HP 6MT EGM, 2016 Focus ST
Just a little update. Tires went on without a hitch. The Costco guys loved the car and chatted with me about it quite a bit.

PS4S are exactly what I was looking for, and I have no regrets.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
As long as your local Costco is competent to deal with these big tires, then that works. The only problem with Costco is you have to let them do the install - but correct me if I'm wrong.

Sponsored

JG M1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1965 Unique Cobra Replicar
The Phoenix area Costco's are out of stock on PS4S 315/30/19 and have no idea when they will
be available. The 305/30/19 are in stock. They also direct you to one store only for installation?
They say to just keep calling to see if they are back in stock?
Sounds a little weird.
Just a little update. Tires went on without a hitch. The Costco guys loved the car and chatted with me about it quite a bit.

PS4S are exactly what I was looking for, and I have no regrets.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I bought my PS4S' from Discount/America's Tire in Des Moines for my soon to come Mach1. I called direct after confirming that their warranty is valid with America's Tires which is what they're called here in CA. They are the same company.

The assistant manager was able to get the PS4S Michelin's in 315/R30/19 and 305/R30/19 even though they are not listed or available online. With all 4 tires, certificates, install and tax $1900 out the door. That is after a $110 Michelin discount, and they'll store them until my Mach1 is delivered.

The warranty and the fact that there are 4 stores within 10 miles of me and they have stores everywhere. Costco is great, but they're aren't as many stores and some areas don't have any at all. I've also had a bad/long experience with Costco Tire Dept.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
If I didn't install them myself, I would go to Costco's.
Sponsored