Sponsored

Mcleoud RST Review:Fixing the MT82

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
Like many people, I’ve dealt with my stock MT82 issues, and scrambled to find the solution. High RPM lockout was annoying since my car is tuned for max power at 8k rpm, and I grew to resent the car because of this flaw. Eventually it gave out on track.

-Review———
I opted for the twin disc and aluminum flywheel. clutch feels almost lighter than stock, and the bite point is very high up. This took a couple of hours to get used to. The feel is great, the car holds 8k+shifts perfectly, and it’s held up to my most recent 7 hour track day perfectly + dig racing. Some things to note is that transmission noise is more pronounced. This is innate with a twin disc, and at this price I really don’t care.
Also the installation and break in period must be taken seriously. Every case I’ve read about a “bad” RST, the person either beat on the clutch prematurely or DIY’d the install. You will need new flywheel bolts and a pilot bearing. Make sure to perform a crank-relearn.

My application is a basic FBO gen 2, and everything else in the transmission is stock. From this I can confidently say that every shifter, clutch line, bushing, etc that claims to”fix” the mt82 is a scam. I’ve had the clutch for over 4,000 miles and it’s perfect.

511D0399-DAD3-46CA-92ED-E1FBB1AF9B76.jpeg
Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I'm also considering the RST. What increased noise are you hearing? Is it gear roll-over in neutral with the clutch engaged, or disk rattle with the clutch dis-engaged, or both.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm also considering the RST. What increased noise are you hearing? Is it gear roll-over in neutral with the clutch engaged, or disk rattle with the clutch dis-engaged, or both.
It’s mainly disc rattle under 1500 rpm when taking off. Then occasionally you hear the gears whirring under load.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Is the high rpm lockout on mainly Gen 2 cars or does it affect Gen 3 also?

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm trying to decide between an RST I can get now and a Spec stage 1 I have to wait 6-8 weeks for. Can anyone chime in on the differences between the two? Either case, I'm planning on an aluminum flywheel.

Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding is that the lockout is clutch related and not transmission related. That being said, I don't know if the newer factory clutches eliminate that problem.
My 2017 did not have a lockout problem until the engine was replaced last year. I don't know what changed, but the car is no fun to drive any more.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Yes it affects gen 3 cars too. Might not be as bad as gen 2 cars though im not sure on that. I used to get it if I tried to shift in to 3rd over 7k hard and fast sometimes. As long as I shifted slower and smooth no issues. Aftermarket clutch now and 8k shifts all day no issues.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Thanks for the information guys. I’ll try and put it to the test and see where I’m at. Great info🙏🏼

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
From this I can confidently say that every shifter, clutch line, bushing, etc that claims to”fix” the mt82 is a scam.
That's quite a bold claim. I don't have a twin disk clutch...but I have an exedy mach 500 and still had 4-5 lockout issues at high rpm (clutch was not to resolve that anyway). Went to an MGW shifter...no further issues and shifting is smoother and more tactile across the board.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's quite a bold claim. I don't have a twin disk clutch...but I have an exedy mach 500 and still had 4-5 lockout issues at high rpm (clutch was not to resolve that anyway). Went to an MGW shifter...no further issues and shifting is smoother and more tactile across the board.
I can’t speak to single disc clutches, but My experience with the RST twin disc is my similar lockout problems were solved. I’ve done some research from 2014 and found that MT82 lockout is a clutch issue, with McLeod or mantic recommended. For the record I think shifters are great for changing the feel of the MT-82! I’d only change the clutch line if it was leaking.
Sponsored