Sponsored

MAY 2016 SALES

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
That's a laugh...ChefBorOzzy is unbiased? Sure, and Crocodiles are vegan.
If you eat a vegan are you still a vegetarian?
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
They're becoming increasingly sensitive over there..some of the diehards now are trying to shut up anyone talking about the price (because..well..it's the primary reason the Camaro isn't selling as well) and want to create "non-owner" sections and not allow "non-owners" to comment in anything else.

Funny how people don't constantly complain about the Mustang's price...mostly because it's not out of line.
What is stupid about that argument playing out is people should be listening to the guys who don't own one because they are in the majority who DIDN'T buy the damn car. If they are on an enthusiast forum and haven't bought the car then their reason matters.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
I am by no means a fan of the 6g Camaro, but I want to set one thing straight. A lot of people have been saying that GM is selling fewer cars to rental companies because they lost contracts with said rental companies or simply that the rental companies don't want the 6g Camaro.

This isn't true and companies in fact do choose to sell fewer cars to rental companies at times. This has a lot to do with resale value. Rental cars get beat up real fast aND are usually resold within 12-18 months. Say company X sold 100,000 of a certain model car. If 25,000 of those cars went to rental companies, the resale value for the car would be terrible, because 25% of them are beat up and sold cheap.

GM, and all OEM's treat this like a teeter totter and try to find the best balance of total sales/revenue vs. hurting resale value and thus compromising potential sales down the road.
From a manufactures stand point they dont care about resales value, all they care is how many sales they got. its not their job worried about a resales that already out of their hands. Investor of that corperation can careless about resales. Good Manufactor do care about their products that they produces.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
From a manufactures stand point they dont care about resales value, all they care is how many sales they got. its not their job worried about a resales that already out of their hands. Investor of that corperation can careless about resales. Good Manufactor do care about their products that they produces.
That's really not true at all. Resale value is a huge part of how people perceive value and quality. The automakers are very aware of this. That said, they're not going to artificially produce significantly less or more to drive resale value. Afterall, the Toyota Camry has pretty darn good resale value, and they make ~300k of them a year.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
That's really not true at all. Resale value is a huge part of how people perceive value and quality. The automakers are very aware of this. That said, they're not going to artificially produce significantly less or more to drive resale value. Afterall, the Toyota Camry has pretty darn good resale value, and they make ~300k of them a year.
Resale value is in the hand of the consumers, and it takes years to built that reputation, Toyota Camry are know for reliability, that is why they can sale 300k per year and still hold value. You can't just reduced your production and expect to have resale value.

Now the question should be what make GM vehicles a good resale value?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Now the question should be what make GM vehicles a good resale value?
That's Easy

1) Reliability....... Er no
2) Quality .......:headbonk:
3) Safety .......:lol:
4) Motor Trend loves them :love:

Actually, I can't think of a decent reason to buy a new GM product let alone a used one, The sales numbers seem to indicate that the vast majority of car buyers agree.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I am by no means a fan of the 6g Camaro, but I want to set one thing straight. A lot of people have been saying that GM is selling fewer cars to rental companies because they lost contracts with said rental companies or simply that the rental companies don't want the 6g Camaro.

This isn't true and companies in fact do choose to sell fewer cars to rental companies at times. This has a lot to do with resale value. Rental cars get beat up real fast aND are usually resold within 12-18 months. Say company X sold 100,000 of a certain model car. If 25,000 of those cars went to rental companies, the resale value for the car would be terrible, because 25% of them are beat up and sold cheap.

GM, and all OEM's treat this like a teeter totter and try to find the best balance of total sales/revenue vs. hurting resale value and thus compromising potential sales down the road.
That is incorrect...

You assume the Camaro and Mustang sell mass to Rental/Fleet. That is farther from the truth. There is really almost ZERO demand for a performance, 2 door Coupe at rental/commercial. Camaro6 people are trying there hardest to convey that it was in some way, a big fleet seller... NO...

The Camaro never has been and never will be a popular rental car. In other words, while GM may be withdrawn from Fleet sales, it's in the sedan/suv department. The Mustang and Camaro usually restock rentals every year, around April, and that is the reason you typically see a sales spike April/May.

So, as I said, there was NO CONTRACT agreement for the Camaro and Fleet/Rental beyond what was originally in place. Maybe less than 5% of Camaro's go to Fleet...

Not sure why that 5% is responsible for the 20-30% decrease we see now.

But hey... let's just sit idly by while the Camaro becomes extinct. thePill could really care less.....................

Keep this in mind though...

-MSRP is going up
-Mustang updates
-Sales will continue to fall, 10-25% a year... that is typical in the industry.

The ATS and CTS could be finished. The Camaro MSRP could skyrocket AND, without some 6th Gen sucess, the 7th Gen is doomed.

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
I...don't think anyone here said that, sir.
As far as the "We don't do Rentals or Fleet".

A better way of saying that is...

We lost our contracts to sell wholesale product to commercial rental companies. It looks like a smart business move, although, I'm not sure how less sales is good...

Next they boast higher profit per sale, yet most Camaro fans dismiss that those profits are made up on THEIR retail purchase. In other words, THEY make up for the lost profit ;)

GM isn't selling Fleet/Rental because they no longer have a contract to do so :lol:
He literally states that GM lost their contracts to sell to rental companies.

Sponsored

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
Who here ever said that? Quote?
As far as the "We don't do Rentals or Fleet".

A better way of saying that is...

We lost our contracts to sell wholesale product to commercial rental companies. It looks like a smart business move, although, I'm not sure how less sales is good...

Next they boast higher profit per sale, yet most Camaro fans dismiss that those profits are made up on THEIR retail purchase. In other words, THEY make up for the lost profit ;)

GM isn't selling Fleet/Rental because they no longer have a contract to do so :lol:
He flat out says that they lost contracts.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That's Easy

1) Reliability....... Er no
2) Quality .......:headbonk:
3) Safety .......:lol:
4) Motor Trend loves them :love:

Actually, I can't think of a decent reason to buy a new GM product let alone a used one, The sales numbers seem to indicate that the vast majority of car buyers agree.
That's pretty much why I haven't owned a GM product in over a decade....

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
That's pretty much why I haven't owned a GM product in over a decade....
Me either, since owning a 1984 Chevy Cavilier:frusty:

Was in my first job and it was my first new car. Funny part was being in training with a guy from Kansas trying to decide between a fox body 5.0 and a Cadillac Cimeron (Cavalier with mid-80's bling). I warned him about quality and he bought it anyway. Wrote me a year later - shoulda bought the fox!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
He flat out says that they lost contracts.
Um... never had really.

How many rentals a month do you think the 5th Gen was selling?

For the months of April/May, probably less than 5%.

Fact:

The Camaro isn't as appealing visually so people don't buy them.

The MSRP is higher, much much higher.

Performance wise? You need an A8 to brag about performance, period... and that's 1/4 mile only.

$40,000 for a one trick pony is kinda 2009 don't ya' think?

But anyway, no... the loss of rental/fleet doesn't account for the 30% drop. It is a plethora of mistakes.

GM decided to make an announcement to stop stick from sliding in March/April. Maybe 10,000 5th Gen's were sold to fleet/rental a year to about 2013. In which both Mustang and Camaro's rental/fleet demand sunk.

However, the 2015 went on to become THE primary 2 door coupe sold to ALL rental companies. Still less than 10,000 a year, maybe less than 5000. So, the sales many people say went away with rental is BS.

They also feel good that the higher cost of the new Camaro could possibly be from the lack of Rental/Fleet. Rentals were one thing, I posted an article about continued Fleet supply (dealership loaners, company transport. But that's less than 4000 a year anyway...

The Camaro just DOESNT SELL and it's a combination of f@ck ups. Poor styling, poor packaging, poor marketing, inflated MSRP due to Rental/Fleet cuts... poor roll out... Decisions are being made by the pocketbook now and less with heart, soul and mind.

This is where the Mustang and Camaro part ways... I for one am glad this backward rivalry is dying. There is far better competition upmarket and as long as the same philosophy is in place (since 1964), the Mustang will just aquire a new target and move on...

...to a place the Camaro cannot go for many reasons.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Me either, since owning a 1984 Chevy Cavilier:frusty:

Was in my first job and it was my first new car. Funny part was being in training with a guy from Kansas trying to decide between a fox body 5.0 and a Cadillac Cimeron (Cavalier with mid-80's bling). I warned him about quality and he bought it anyway. Wrote me a year later - shoulda bought the fox!
If he bought the fox he'd still be driving it. Or at the very least turned it into a race car by now.:D
Sponsored