Magnetic Metallic owners

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had it on my 2016 Fusion and after 50k normal daily driven miles the front of the car was peppered with rock chips. If its a garage queen maybe don't bother with PPF but if you are going to do any sort of normal driving you need as much PPF as you can justify buying.
Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
There are many complaints about paint quality, easily chipped. To be honest, I've read the same complaint in most every car forum save Lexus so this isnt a Ford bashing post.

My question is this...my car has taken a couple of hits on the highway with no scratch or chip. Ive read in another thread that Magnetic Metallic seems to do well in comparison to other colors.

Magnetic Metallic owners, how is your paint holding up? Help me make a $700 decision on paint protection film.

I have a few minor chips on my magnetic 17 GT, and I drive on a SoCal freeway every day [albeit not terribly far]. The paint on the nose seems to be holding up pretty well. I dust it off and put a cover on it at work every day, so yes, I'm one of those. I keep a small bottle of waterless wash and wax in the trunk too, so if I see anything on the car I quickly touch it up before I put the cover on. Heck even garage queens end up with chips after awhile. LOL

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
My paint looks awesome after 3 years with hardly a blemish. I use a Colgan bra for long highway trips. I have read that metallic paint has more clear coat layers so it holds up better than non metallic paint.
20170730_141142_20170830160656123_20181003195942530.jpg
IMG_20170201_122212793_HDR.jpg

Prabzez_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It might just be location/region dependant.
My car has 13k miles but my front bumper, hood and windshield have quite a bit of rock chips.
They're not noticeable from far away only when you're looking for them.
I have quite a bit though, but I think its because rocks/debris rarely gets cleaned from roadworks around here and I'm constantly hearing my car getting pelted with rocks :sigh:

BonJayvi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've had one paint defect on the back driver side corner. Just noticed it when i was washing it one day. Scratching at it chipped off a little more. got it covered under warranty so it's all fixed now, but that's the only defect I've found. Had a few chips on the front of the car, but its plastic, so not worried about it too much.
20180926_163417_HDR.jpg
20180926_163436_HDR.jpg
20180926_131433_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

kennethrisher

kennethrisher
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium (Auto)

Quit worrying about your paint & drive your cars....enjoy them...good lord...
10.46 pass Timeslip.jpg

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Mine is new, 350 miles. I plan on clear vinyl on the front ASAP.

Pesti13nce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Base manual
I've picked up chips, but mind you I have 78k miles on this car in a little over 3 years so i was not surprised (Although the bumper crack caused by my girl backing into it was not ideal) i have no regrets or disappointments on this color at all. In fact it's holding up better than my fathers 17' corvette with 2k miles.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Just under 29K on my Magnetic 2016 GT PP. I had the 3M film installed within a week of purchase. Had the bumper cover, leading 10" of the hood, fenders to match, mirrors, and door edges. Car was a daily for its first two years on an 86 mile round trip of mixed highway/local. Car has been open tracked at least five times, and lots of autocross. No chips on the covered items; one chip near the leading edge of the top - sort of a dirty white underneath.

For perspective, I was hit by a chunk of tire on a track day which left a large bruise on the film. Came right out. During a bad wind storm, pieces of my roof shingles came off and smacked the hood and fender and left abrasive marks. Film saved it but had to be replaced - no paint damage.

The reason I did the film was all of the poor experiences I had with previous cars, both domestic and non. The film is worth every penny.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Before I put the PPF on I seemed to find a new rock chip every time I washed the car.

Sponsored

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 SPD PREM MAGNETIC METALLIC
There are many complaints about paint quality, easily chipped. To be honest, I've read the same complaint in most every car forum save Lexus so this isnt a Ford bashing post.

My question is this...my car has taken a couple of hits on the highway with no scratch or chip. Ive read in another thread that Magnetic Metallic seems to do well in comparison to other colors.

Magnetic Metallic owners, how is your paint holding up? Help me make a $700 decision on paint protection film.
Had a 15 and now 18 magnetic. It is in the Miami sun a LOT with no paint issues other than the normal chips like any other car. love the color

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I wish the primer underneath the paint was grey like mentioned above. Mine seems to have nearly white primer that really shows chips well. Also have PPF on the front with a couple of good chips that pushed right through the film, paint and into the primer. Thinking those were from some gravel hauling rock trucks.

jri4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Magnetic Metallic) w/ Black Appearance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Less than 500 miles and a dump truck carrying gravel traveling the opposite direction showered me... ran the car through the car wash and still can't find any chips! Maybe I got lucky, but I heard and saw rocks hit my hood, windshield, roof, etc. I like the color for the fact that it hides dirt, scratches, etc.

OP
OP
sdiver68

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I've set an appointment. Agree with everything above. But $800 is nothing compared to hate the car due to defects and have to get rid of it.

BTW, for the just drive it crowd I have separate track vehicles. Those only need to look good from 10ft for podium pictures :)
Sponsored