Sponsored

MagneRide Sport vs. Normal

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
1. How important or advisable is it for me to get a car with Magne Ride and how and where does it help?
you need to test drive a MR vs non on the roads you like to frequent to see how you like (or not). The standard Ford suspension is pretty sad, the PP1 is somewhat better. MR can be acceptable or poor depending on how you like your damping.
Sponsored

Dhruvchadha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dhruv
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Volvo XC 60
you need to test drive a MR vs non on the roads you like to frequent to see how you like (or not). The standard Ford suspension is pretty sad, the PP1 is somewhat better. MR can be acceptable or poor depending on how you like your damping.
I did exactly what you said. However, I am not sure if the difference was for real or it was just confirmation bias.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did exactly what you said. However, I am not sure if the difference was for real or it was just confirmation bias.
well, did you like/prefer Sport Mode suspension setting over normal? Or MR 'normal' vs you-get-what-we-give-you standard GT?

MR can have a small advantage in bump absorption when handling >1" square-edged bumps. On tarmac that is nice and smooth you won't be able to feel much between the 2 choices.

Dhruvchadha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dhruv
Vehicle(s)
well, did you like/prefer Sport Mode suspension setting over normal? Or MR 'normal' vs you-get-what-we-give-you standard GT?

MR can have a small advantage in bump absorption when handling >1" square-edged bumps. On tarmac that is nice and smooth you won't be able to feel much between the 2 choices.
I felt MR normal to be more comfortable over regular. Sport on Mach 1 was more responsive than Sport on GT... And neither was as responsive as on my wife's bm Mini...that is something other worldly.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And neither was as responsive as on my wife's bm Mini...that is something other worldly.
well a Mini weighs a fraction and has a fairly rigid structure. I agree Minis are a total gas. Are you looking for compliance in suspension or 'choppiness' over bumps? Turn-in and handling 'quickness' can be every bit of tire choice as well.

Sponsored

Dhruvchadha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dhruv
Vehicle(s)
well a Mini weighs a fraction and has a fairly rigid structure. I agree Minis are a total gas. Are you looking for compliance in suspension or 'choppiness' over bumps? Turn-in and handling 'quickness' can be every bit of tire choice as well.
As you might have guessed from my deference to Mini, I prefer my ride to smooth (not like a Lexus, but about 60% there), good road feel both in cornering and predictability...which is something that is missing in Mustang's steering.

Dhruvchadha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dhruv
Vehicle(s)
I am assuming by tire choice you mean go for 40/35 smaller profiles to reduce flex in cornering...right? or did you imply something different.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I like sport for throttle sensitivity and a tighter handling feel. Sport goes back to normal on bad roads though.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
All -

I am searching for the right car out there and the pickings are slim to say the least, especially when I look for one with Magne Ride. My use case is very simple, I live in Dallas area, and this will be mostly a daily driver with some spirited on road driving in and around Rockies and Ozarks during the summer months. I do not have the mental acuity or fearlessness to be a track rider at all and the closes this car will come to a track is the parking lot of a track!.

Given this, I wanted to see
1. How important or advisable is it for me to get a car with Magne Ride and how and where does it help?
2. What is impact of MR wrt fast corners and hard acceleration at stop lights?
3. Would you consider MR to be essentially a track focused feature or something that makes it a more livable daily driver and benefits all around in terms of stability?
4. Would your recommendation for or against MR change if I were to go for a Convertible instead of FastBack?

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge and guidance you all share. I am self confessed newbie to Mustangs, but it's always been a "dream" car from early childhood.

Cheers!
DC
Howdy, neighbor... at least on a TX scale.

1. Magneride was the one "must have" option when I was shopping. Having lived with it as a daily driver for ~3 years now, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It makes cruddy roads smoother, and heavy-sprung suspensions more than tolerable on the street.
2. I have not pushed the car hard enough yet to fully answer this, but I can say the car just does what I need it to do. I haven't run into a situation where I thought that the MR was holding me back in any way. Goal is to make it out to a few autoX events this year.
3. I believe that MR started as a street focused feature that is developing into a track feature. I don't think it's common on dedicated race cars, but that day may be coming.
4. I have no experience with Mustang convertibles, but I see no downside to MR on a convertible. As in #1, it smooths out cruddy roads, and I see that helping make a convertible less rattle & flex prone.
Sponsored