Sponsored

MagneRide not Working? ( 2020 Mustang GT PP1 )

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I just purchased (5/23/2020) a 2020 Mustang GT PP1 with the MagneRide, and I swear I can't tell the difference between modes. The overall ride quality seems fine, its definitely firm... but if I switch into Sport+ or Track, it doesn't seem to change anything. (just some background, I'm 38 and I've owned so many muscle cars/ Sports cars I've lost count.. lol)

I honestly don't think my Mustang's MagneRide is working correctly.

I've driven over rail road tracks multiple times in the different modes and I've noticed zero difference to the suspension. I even had a buddy of mine get in the car put it in Normal Mode, while I pushed down the back of the car over and over, while he changed modes from Normal and Track Mode, and it felt exactly the same... I didn't feel any change to the resistance when I was pushing up and down on the back end!? That's not normal, right?

I used to have a 2016 Corvette with the MRC, and changing the modes was extremely noticeable. Tour mode was soft and floaty, while sport and track was really firm without much rebound.. the Mustang doesn't do this at all, which is obviously disappointing.

I'm honestly thinking something is wrong.. so I'm taking it in to have Ford check it out!

What do you all think?
Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a 19 PP2 with magnaride and I can tell the difference in the modes especially between normal and track. I think I'd take it in and have them hook up the computer to it and see. Surely there would be some kind of codes if it wasn't working right.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
PP1 with Magneride is a rare beast so I have to ask the stupid question, are you sure it's Magneride? You'll see wires coming out of the top of the rear shock if it is.

OP
OP

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 19 PP2 with magnaride and I can tell the difference in the modes especially between normal and track. I think I'd take it in and have them hook up the computer to it and see. Surely there would be some kind of codes if it wasn't working right.
Yeah, when I had my 2016 Corvette I could easily tell the difference between Modes. This Mustang however, I can't feel any difference at all. I'm not new to Magnetic Ride Control, but maybe I'm expecting it to be like my Corvette, or at least make "Some" noticeable difference.

I only question if its working because people say they can easily feel the difference, which I could on my Vette, but not on this Mustang.

I'm scheduled to take my car into Elk Grove Ford tomorrow to have my backup camera fixed (which isn't working from day1)... so while I'm there I'll have them check out the MagneRide.

PP1 with Magneride is a rare beast so I have to ask the stupid question, are you sure it's Magneride? You'll see wires coming out of the top of the rear shock if it is.
It's true that you don't typically see a PP1 mustang with MagneRide, which is why I went from Sacramento down to Lodi in California to pick it up. The window sticker does indeed say "MAGNE-RIDE DAMPING SYSTEM 1,695.00".

I've uploaded a picture of the window sticker to my OneDrive you can see it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhAr87L84NuViPpeisZxBW7Z0OwVLw?e=q7Kw3F

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I honestly don't feel it change modes, it just doesn't adjust the ride at all.. its just as firm in any mode. Doesn't change at all.. maybe its not supposed to like my 2016 Corvette, but that thing got floaty in tour mode, and firm as hell in Track Mode.

Guess I'll see what Ford has to say?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I have a PP1 with Magneride. You should feel the difference. It's really best to try switching modes while driving over a piece of familiar road at the same speed, like over 50mph if possible. It should go from the normal floaty/bouncy feel to being much firmer. It should almost have a hug-the-road feel to it. You should notice the car doesn't roll with everything in the road; you still feel you'll have hit a small bump etc. but it's more of a small vibration.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
FWIW, I recently test drove a PP2 and couldn't tell the difference between it and my PP1 without MR, I was shocked. Played around with the drive modes but it didn't seem to matter what mode I was in. Maybe you have to be really pushing it hard to tell, or riding on a really rough road.

IntenseGT

In The Air of The Night
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19' GT MT PP1 PREM AE MR - MAGNETIC
It's a subtle difference just regular driving.

Coming from a 2016 PP1 to a 2019 PP1 w/ MR - I could never go back... MR is way too good at smoothing out the ride.

Have Ford check it out.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I think at least a portion of what you're feeling is the tuning philosophies of the two companies. Chevy may be treating their Mag dampers as if they were passive. The different modes change the entire damping curve. Ford uses it differently. All settings have the same base curve, it's different modes that change the car more in terms of handling balance. The ride will always be taunt, but fairly well controlled. The compression compensation while heavy on the brakes might be greater to reduce nose-dive on sport, the rear will be stiffer on compression to reduce U/S on throttle, etc. On a track, I think you'd find the different setting noticeable.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Most noticeable difference is body roll in a longer steady state corner (for example 270 degree entry ramp to the highway) - since it also impacts compression damping, it makes the car ride little stiffer in track mode.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
It's true that you don't typically see a PP1 mustang with MagneRide, which is why I went from Sacramento down to Lodi in California to pick it up. The window sticker does indeed say "MAGNE-RIDE DAMPING SYSTEM 1,695.00".
It's rare, but mis-builds do happen. I would verify that you actually have the MR dampers installed.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Find a speed bump, go over in normal then track mode, you should feel track mode handle and damp it better than normal. If no difference then go to dealer

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any updates?

SilverGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Odyssey, TL
...while I pushed down the back of the car over and over, while he changed modes from Normal and Track Mode, and it felt exactly the same... I didn't feel any change to the resistance when I was pushing up and down on the back end!? That's not normal, right??
I'm pretty sure the dampers are turned off at 0mph road speed, regardless of what mode you're in... so, you won't feel any difference by pushing on the bumper.

OP
OP

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Any updates?
Not yet,

I went to the dealer for my backup camera not working, and they had to order a new camera assembly. I guess they're not in stock, and the guy even said they're on back order.. (WTF???)

He said it might be the end of the month before they can get one in, when I get another appointment to have that installed I'm going to complain about various rattles, and of course have them check the MagneRide.

When I have them check it out, I'll be sure to let you guys know!

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I think Ford approached mag ride in a more performance orientation. Hence no "comfort mode" like in gm vehicles. There's definitely a difference between normal and track. You'll feel every bump in the road and the suspension recovers much more quickly. It's not a massive difference until you're really pushing the car.
Sponsored