Mach 1 strut tower brace

dpollard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt in Shadow Black
Maybe my Bullitt is different - as they did.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe my Bullitt is different - as they did.
Just interested - do you have a picture ? I wonder if ford messed with the stud lengths ?

WD :like:

dpollard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Funnily enough, I do.

You can see that the studs on my Mustang are also painted black. The nyloc plastic taking up the thread, leaving just the unthread part of the stud exposed. You can see the washer underneath the brace in this photo.

IMG_0460.jpeg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that’s good, I have a little more engagement (full thread exposed) but not as much as you would expect - must be a tolerance thing and the extra thickness of the 350 aluminium brace :like:

Not quite sure how either option would work though with the 8mm spacers that Ford supply 

That pvc tape section on the loom can be removed if you want - the fabric tape underneath is a continuous run :like:

As a side note, mismatched spacers would do my head in - buts that just me 
 :facepalm: :giggle:

dpollard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I might take the PVC off and put a little more fabric tape on. There is contact with the brace bar and I like the idea of having something more protect the wiring

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I used one of those bike frame protection patches under the battery cable :like:

AFC15-AD1-15-AC-4-A0-C-81-F5-0-E53-A07-D62-E3.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
No, it might just be the carbon pattern or that it’s on a curved surface that it throws your eye off - it’s a simple rectangle with rounded corners :like:

Barely visible once fitted and at least it provides a little sacrificial protection that’s easy to replace :

0-B441159-D17-D-4889-B9-AE-9-DBF56-BD586-E.jpg

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had managed to locate a source for an OEM Mach 1 RHD strut tower brace. Or aware if there is no intention to produce any in RHD. Apologies if this has been raised in another thread. Many thanks.
NZ here. FJG, MT. we don't get them either. had one put on my 2016 GT ,but i kinda like it without it now ! does it need it ? cheers, tom

OP
OP

Goblinchaser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
NZ here. FJG, MT. we don't get them either. had one put on my 2016 GT ,but i kinda like it without it now ! does it need it ? cheers, tom
Have to agree with you that in reality won’t need it. For me it’s trying to obtain the parts that the US model has and we don’t. Just closing the gap where possible. Not to the handling pack level but rear light sequencers, strut brace and a few other things. Also keeps me out of house and in the garage. Lol. Black, M/T here. Already driving me nuts with keeping it clean. Was tempted with the FJG.

Sponsored

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
Have to agree with you that in reality won’t need it. For me it’s trying to obtain the parts that the US model has and we don’t. Just closing the gap where possible. Not to the handling pack level but rear light sequencers, strut brace and a few other things. Also keeps me out of house and in the garage. Lol. Black, M/T here. Already driving me nuts with keeping it clean. Was tempted with the FJG.
i know, my last 3 cars were black and i needed some rest.:crackup:

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Another consideration for the passenger side - The locking part of the nuts won’t engage on the studs if you use the spacers :like:

So is there a way around this? Seems odd that FP would provide spacers that don’t allow the nuts to lock properly.
I am thinking of importing a brace from the US which is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one from a dealer here and them just drawing up the spacers and getting them laser cut. how much short of hitting the nylon are the nuts with the factory spacers and would 6mm thick spacers still work as well as fix this issue?
Cheers jb

OP
OP

Goblinchaser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So is there a way around this? Seems odd that FP would provide spacers that don’t allow the nuts to lock properly.
I am thinking of importing a brace from the US which is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one from a dealer here and them just drawing up the spacers and getting them laser cut. how much short of hitting the nylon are the nuts with the factory spacers and would 6mm thick spacers still work as well as fix this issue?
Cheers jb
Sounds like rob herrod here in Australia will be selling them for RHD. I imagine any prep work would be well done so hopefully it’s a straight forward install. I’ll be ordering from there once they are available.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cheers jb
Sorry for the late reply :like:

I suspect a few things are going on here, all comments are my ‘opinion’ :wink:
  • I suspect the steel brace ‘might’ be OK due to thinner material.
  • In my experience, the ally brace defo wasn’t ok due to the thicker material.
  • I wanted the brace mounted low so I choose to modify it.
  • My powder coat job (after brace modification) was thicker than fords, that wouldn’t help.
  • I suspect some people are happy without full nyloc engagement, some are happy with no spare threads and some want to see clear threads (like me) at the end of the nyloc - that’s a rule that the SVA inspectors use in the U.K. (min 1.5 full threads).
  • Maybe there’s slight variation from car to car ?
I’m not sure if you would get away with a spacer thinner than what Ford supply ? Maybe they air on the side of caution.

At the end of the day even if the nylocs worked loose, it’s going to rattle rather than be safety critical :like:

Unless you have access to a laser or water jet cutter, I think stainless stand off spacers of the chosen size would be a cheaper option and they are readily available on eBay :like:

Hope it all works out for you whichever option you choose :like:

Sponsored