Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
You are incorrect

Gezzz I am not disagreeing with adding oil on the gasket I have always done it.

1698108021758.png
INCONCEIVABLE! Then again, it is FOMOCO ;-)
Sponsored

OP
OP
JetGray_Mach1

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I always make it as tight as I can by hand.

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I always make it as tight as I can by hand.
Same here. Well, actually just a little less than I can by hand, so that I know I can also remove it by hand the next time, haha.

As for dry vs oil on the seal, I'd vote for dry to help prevent it from loosening, but there is always that little bit of oil left on the plate, so it ends up being an oiled seal anyway. I don't obsess over it.

Only one time I found a small spot of oil under my car, and it turned out that I could've/should've tightened it a little more during the oil change.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm glad this topic came up because I've been working on the same premise that I learned from Fram's instructions printed on their orange filters 3-4 decades ago...that is... a) lubricate seal lightly with oil, b) tighten until seal contacts base, and c) tighten 3/4 additional turn. I've even been marking my filters to know exactly when to start/finish my 3/4 turn.

While it has worked quite well for me for many years, without fail I might add, maybe I need to rethink my process after this enlightening thread.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
FWIW, when I used to do my own oil changes on aircraft I (part-)owned. At least one of the manuals spec'd Dow Corning #3 on the seal. I still use it, at least when I can find my tube of the stuff; engine stoppages in flight are at least as annoying as on the ground. Looks like it's been repackaged/renamed; the tube I bought probably 20 years ago (at $20!) only has another 10,000 or so changes left. There was a torque spec too--the filters had a nut, 5/8" IIRC, on the end of the can (like K&N)--and it was low; I bought an inch-pound wrench to do it. My shaky recall says 18lb-ft, but that sounds high.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/netanyahu-israel-gaza-hamas-1.7010035

Sponsored

MajHazrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Package
One time a looong time ago I didn't oil the gasket, the seal came out of its groove and bunched up. Felt odd, so I took it off and thought, "oh that's why."
I've oiled it ever since with just a very light film.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That is indeed odd, I have lubed the seal on filters for all the oil changes I’ve done to my cars in the last 40+ years. I always fill the filter with oil as much as practical too, but I’m sure that could be the subject of a whole separate thread lol. I spin it on until making contact then take note that it goes 3/4 turn past. Really, just hand tight. A seasoned mechanic showed me the best and easiest oil filter wrench for getting them loose… a huge pair of channel lock pliers.
Sponsored

Last edited: