Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Fantastic news from Bill at CJ Pony Parts............skip to 2.45 seconds.

More power than the stock GT.......goodies from the GT350 including the Tremec TR-3160 (although I really hope the 10-speed is an option).

Lets hope this does the Mach 1 name justice :like:

Mach 1.jpg

Ford Mustang Mach 1 rumored to replace the Bullitt in 2021
Perhaps a rebadged Bullitt with additional color choices and badges, perhaps more

We've had about two weeks of bubbling rumor concerning a revival of the Ford Mustang Mach 1. It started with a video that Mustang parts supplier CJ Pony Parts published on YouTube, then removed. The video's host said there weren't many details, two of the bits known so far being that the Mustang Bullitt would go out of production after the 2020 model year, replaced by a Mustang Mach 1 as the new mid-step performance offering in 2021. Since then, Torque News has said, "A source has confirmed that this is not a rumor, but a fact." We know Ford's investing $250 million into the Flat Rock Assembly Plant that builds the Mustang. The next-generation pony car arrives in 2021 on its new modular platform, the Detroit Free Press writing that there'd be "several derivatives, probably including specialty models like the Bullitt and Shelby Cobra."

If TN is correct about its factuals, we're looking ahead to the third coming of the Mach 1 trim. There was the original, built from 1968 to 1978, and the resurrection as a last hurrah for the fourth-generation Mustang in 2003 and 2004 (pictured), similar to the way Ford's doing a two-year run of the Bullitt in 2019 and 2020.

CJ Pony Parts and TN say the Mach 1 will get a slight power boost over the Mustang GT, which makes sense if the new coupe will succeed the Bullitt. Right now, the 5.0-liter V8 in the GT produces 460 horsepower, the same engine in the Bullitt makes 480 hp with the assistance of a tuned ECU, larger throttle bodies, and the manifold from a Mustang GT350. We'd find it unlikely for any such car to outdo the 526 hp in the GT350, though. Rumor also asserts that the Mach 1 is likely to come with the Performance Pack 2, which folds in upgrades like the magnetic ride suspension that the Bullitt uses. What the similarities could mean is that the Mach 1 takes over as a rebadged Bullitt with more color choices and physical badging. Supposedly, the only transmission choice will be a six-speed manual.

Since the original Mach 1 is known for its black shaker hood and scoop, black side stripes, black rear spoiler, and Magnum 500 wheels, we can expect modern renderings of those cosmetics should a 2021 Mustang Mach 1 arrive. And with the new Mustang's modular platform, it's possible such a car could be the first Mach 1 to offer all-wheel drive.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Only way I see this happening is if they kill the Shelby GT350, or give the 350 a much revised engine and power bump. To much overlapping for a Mach1 and current 350.

Based on the description its just going to be a BULLITT + PP2 suspension (or the Ford Performance Magneride handling kit), and the better tranny. Most of that you can just make now. Hell, tranny aside it's what I already drive.

I'm a huge Mach1 fan, but if that's all it is I'm going to be disappointed.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Only way I see this happening is if they kill the Shelby GT350. To much overlapping for a Mach1 and 350
I can see the GT350 going away for the '21MY........they'll likely need all the capacity they can get on the niche engine line building the GT500 engines.

I still think there would be room for both though.......perhaps the Mach 1 built more for straight line/comfort, whereas the GT350 is a track weapon.

Either way, Bill states he's VERY confident its coming, so that'd good enough for me :)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I can see the GT350 going away for the '21MY........they'll likely need all the capacity they can get on the niche engine line building the GT500 engines.

I still think there would be room for both though.......perhaps the Mach 1 built more for straight line/comfort, whereas the GT350 is a track weapon.

Either way, Bill states he's VERY confident its coming, so that'd good enough for me :)
The problem is they say its going to have the PP2 suspension, which isnt to far off from the GT350 suspension. And with the same transmission that would mean there would be it would only be down to the 25-35hp gap, which isn't much at all. Not much reason to get the GT350 if you can get a Mach1 for less then just toss on a tune. The only difference would be additional coolers.

Have we even seen a PP2 vs 350 on same track/day with same tires to see how big of a gap there is between them?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Thinking about it the only way I'd be interested in a Mach1 at this point would be if its GT350 or PP2 suspension, and NA version of GT500 engine with the GT350 intake system, but that would be more like a BOSS car than a Mach1.

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Only way I see this happening is if they kill the Shelby GT350, or give the 350 a much revised engine and power bump. To much overlapping for a Mach1 and current 350.

Based on the description its just going to be a BULLITT + PP2 suspension (or the Ford Performance Magneride handling kit), and the better tranny. Most of that you can just make now. Hell, tranny aside it's what I already drive.

I'm a huge Mach1 fan, but if that's all it is I'm going to be disappointed.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the fair well for the gt350. But remember back in ‘03, the Mach 1 was a gt with 3.55’s, cobra brakes, 40 more hp (according to published numbers) essentially. Aesthetically, they were drastically different obviously. But mechanically, very much the same car. I don’t think we’re seeing anything too different with what they’re doing here. And we don’t know production numbers yet. The Mach 1 could actually be a limited run/production car like the gt350’s were initially thought to be. Although I wasn’t around during that era, but it seems along the lines of the 60’s and 70’s where you could buy a mustang, but there were 100 different kinds of trims and color packages you could get

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Fantastic news from Bill at CJ Pony Parts............skip to 2.45 seconds.

More power than the stock GT.......goodies from the GT350 including the Tremec TR-3160 (although I really hope the 10-speed is an option).

Lets hope this does the Mach 1 name justice :like:

Mach 1.jpg
...an electric 2-seater after the gas version, Mach 3.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the fair well for the gt350. But remember back in ‘03, the Mach 1 was a gt with 3.55’s, cobra brakes, 40 more hp (according to published numbers) essentially. Aesthetically, they were drastically different obviously. But mechanically, very much the same car. I don’t think we’re seeing anything too different with what they’re doing here. And we don’t know production numbers yet. The Mach 1 could actually be a limited run/production car like the gt350’s were initially thought to be. Although I wasn’t around during that era, but it seems along the lines of the 60’s and 70’s where you could buy a mustang, but there were 100 different kinds of trims and color packages you could get
The 2003 Mach1 was a GT, with a 2001 Cobra engine, with 03 Cobra heads/cams,99-4 Cobra/BULLITT brakes, a resigned 01 Cobra intake manifold, Bullitt C pillars and a muffler and spring/strut combo specific to it.

That is a LOT more than just a BULLITT with PP2 suspention (which can be added to a Bullitt for 1K from Ford Performance) and a tranny swap. I mean at this point I can already just pull a tranny from a wrecked Shelby and say I have a 2021 Mach1 based on the info we have.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I can see the engine being the 5.2 in the GT500 but with a different supercharger and maybe 550hp with the TR3160 it kind of makes since. Unfortunately I do think the GT350 will be gone so the niche line can solely build the 5.2 CPC engine reducing production costs.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They are taking a page out of Dodges playbook.

Don’t change the bones of the car. Just make 72 different options and packages.

Once you have all the sunk cost of R&D out of the way, why not swap parts and make as many different trims and packages as people will buy?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
They are taking a page out of Dodges playbook.

Don’t change the bones of the car. Just make 72 different options and packages.

Once you have all the sunk cost of R&D out of the way, why not swap parts and make as many different trims and packages as people will buy?
Dodge has some pretty nice packages out there [not going to buy any Chrysler product] if it works and generates sales why not.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Dodge has some pretty nice packages out there [not going to buy any Chrysler product] if it works and generates sales why not.
They seem to have a package for everyone. They haven’t truly updates their cars in years but yet their sales just keep on doing up.

I would expect Ford has noticed this and will somewhat quit innovating and just follow Dodges lead.

I would expect a plethora of new packages to come out in the future.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Lets hold our horses (see what I did there? ;) ) and wait for the specs......there are several possibilities as to what direction they take, so we can only wait.

There's still a risk we might not know when they announce it.....they could just announce "the Mach 1 is coming back" and leave us hanging for another year to see the car/get the specs.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The 2003 Mach1 was a GT, with a 2001 Cobra engine, with 03 Cobra heads/cams,99-4 Cobra/BULLITT brakes, a resigned 01 Cobra intake manifold, Bullitt C pillars and a muffler and spring/strut combo specific to it.

That is a LOT more than just a BULLITT with PP2 suspention (which can be added to a Bullitt for 1K from Ford Performance) and a tranny swap. I mean at this point I can already just pull a tranny from a wrecked Shelby and say I have a 2021 Mach1 based on the info we have.
I know what they had, I had one lol

That’s just it, based on what we know. Who’s to say the 2021 won’t have more differences, but we’re making guesses off of numbers and tid bits of info. What I stated were the main differences in those cars in ‘03, but what made those differences were a sum of many parts. I doubt it’ll be only those few differences for the ‘21 Mach 1, but we don’t know for sure. It’ll have a little more power than a gt, but do we know what the power numbers for the 2021 gt will be?? You can keep your Bullitt if you’d like, you’ll just have to be content with potentially being slower than a Mach 1 :sunglasses:
Sponsored