Sponsored

Lund nGauge screen staining

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
I thought the whole purpose of the Lund Gauge was to put it in the vent ???? I have not bought one yet and its on my to do list, if the vent knackers it then I may have to cross it off ! Everyone I have seen is in the vent so there may be loads more people having this same problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They provide window and dash mounts but yeah all the install vids online install into the A/C vents

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
UPDATE:

Apparently installing the nGauge into the A/C vents is not supported due to the potential for moisture getting into the electronics.
Now I'm an IT Guy, and profess little knowledge on A/C, but isn't the whole point of A/C that when it's running it pulls the moisture out of the air? Which is why we have drain valves for the A/C systems.

As far as I know, the air is blown out of the vents that the nGauge is mounted into so should be moisture free and is sucked in from outside or down by legs etc when in Recirc mode.

I smell a get out of jail card - I wonder if that is in the Warrenty T's & C's (I appreciate your's is already out of Warrenty, but none the less)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I understand what you are saying about the dryness of the air but just an observation from me.

I've seen parts of dashboards (next to vents) and windscreens (outside) condensate due to the cold air that's blown on them by the air con - is that where the dampness could be coming from i.e. not from the dry air itself but the sudden change of temp causing moisture to form on components ? Steady state and temperature swings can have different outcomes.

WD :like:

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Those vents blow hot and cold air, so I see their point.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sounds like it would be best for those of us with nGauges mounted in the vents, to set the air to blow through the floor vents instead of the dash, so as to help prevent the issue that the OP has experienced.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll probably try and block off the vent when I get it back.

Cost me ÂŁ20 to return it and $115 to replace the screen.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Jon17Gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0 gt
Dam, I like mine in the vent. Hope you get yours sorted ok.

Sponsored

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Now I'm an IT Guy, and profess little knowledge on A/C, but isn't the whole point of A/C that when it's running it pulls the moisture out of the air? Which is why we have drain valves for the A/C systems.

As far as I know, the air is blown out of the vents that the nGauge is mounted into so should be moisture free and is sucked in from outside or down by legs etc when in Recirc mode.

I smell a get out of jail card - I wonder if that is in the Warrenty T's & C's (I appreciate your's is already out of Warrenty, but none the less)
I'm not an IT nor an A/C guy, but I think that the way the AC works is passing the air across a condenser coil that will allow the air to cool which will allow some of the moisture to condense and drain off .... not all. Additionally it would also depend on if the AC was always on, set to recirculate, etc. The vents can move all types of air for the system.

I don't think it would be a get out of jail free card.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The issue is when you mount the nGauge in the vent you have hot and cold air passing through it. If you get in your freezing car and turn the heaters on you run the risk of condensation forming in the nGauge.
Sponsored