Lug Nut Torque

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Just for the heck of it I decided to check the torque of the lug nuts on my 2016 GT350 which only has 300 miles (of course the lug nuts haven't been touched by anyone other than the factory). They are suppose to be 150 +/- 15 per the manual, but set my torque wrench to 130 and was able to turn some up to a quarter of a turn, indicating that they were significantly less than 130. I'd recommend checking yours. Apparently the owner's supplement recommends this as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I noticed that others had mentioned this too, so I checked mine when I had about 100 miles on the car. It was pretty much spot on from the factory at 150lbs on each lug. :thumbsup:

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
New wheels tend to need to wear in to match the lug nuts. It is not uncommon to have to
re-torque after some break in miles.

Peter

302toVoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In Sport Mode ... ALL THE TIME!
The owners supplement says to verify lug nut torque at 500mi

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
My GT/PP also had this issue, but I took them back up to 150 ft/lb, then re-torqued them a couple days later. The rule of thumb I've always been told, regarding aluminum wheels, is that you torque them, then re-torque them 100 miles later.

JR

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So, how does an owner without a torque wrench check all these requirements?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
That's what your 3/36k warranty is for ....
? ? ? ? . . . . Warranty for lug nut torque? I can check the torque on 20 lug nuts in less time than it takes me to back out of my driveway. I would never consider going to a dealer for this type of service (or any service short of a new engine replacement).

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
That's what your 3/36k warranty is for ....
I never, ever, ever trust a mechanic to torque lugs properly. They might torque suspension components and the like, but for lugs, it's almost always an impact wrench, set for some torque setting (that the mechanic might not even be able to quote), and spin em' on until they're tight, typically wrecking the nut, in the process.

I've had to replace three lugs from mechanics being jerkasses about lugs, and my car isn't even a year old.

JR

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
Yeah, for some reason mechanics always see themselves being in the pits at Daytona.....:frusty:

I never, ever, ever trust a mechanic to torque lugs properly. They might torque suspension components and the like, but for lugs, it's almost always an impact wrench, set for some torque setting (that the mechanic might not even be able to quote), and spin em' on until they're tight, typically wrecking the nut, in the process.

I've had to replace three lugs from mechanics being jerkasses about lugs, and my car isn't even a year old.

JR
Sponsored