Lug-Centric

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Every OEM wheel I've ever seen is hub centric, whereby the lug nuts or studs just screw in and are torqued. The wheel is perfectly centered and mated, and there you go. I was surprised to see my '18 OEM wheels are lug centric, with conical lugs and require 150 lb ft to install. This is 50 lbs more than most other cars. Even more so, I was surprised to see that hub centering rings, metal or plastic, are NOT recommended for street driving. Most aftermarket wheels are lug centric, and most OEM wheels are hub centered- why did Ford decide on LC instead?
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The difference in torque is because of the bigger stud. 14mm vs 1/2".

Who told you the wheel was not hub centric? Conical lug nuts are common and don't mean the wheel is not hub centric.

But lug centric is not that bad, and I prefer it to plastic centering rings, which I think cause more issues than they solve.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah IDK why you think the wheel is lug centric, The S550 does use a built in hub ring to center the wheels. IDK why the 18” would be any different. The lug being conical doean’t mean the wheel isn’t also centered on the hub.

add on rings aren’t recommended because they don’t work well, and can get pinched or distort, irs better to buy a hubcentric wheel that fits the hub. With the pervasiveness of the Mustang, there is a huge number of hubcentric wheels to choose from. For a niche car, maybe not.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Seems like there's a lot of movement of the between the hub bore on the wheel and the hub itself. Additionally, the side to side movement of the lug stud holes allow for conical lugs to center. I'm saying why? Why not have traditional lugs?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like there's a lot of movement of the between the hub bore on the wheel and the hub itself. Additionally, the side to side movement of the lug stud holes allow for conical lugs to center. I'm saying why? Why not have traditional lugs?
That's interesting. The 19 PP1 wheels and both sets of aftermarket wheels I've tried are very tight to the hub bore. I'm surprised your 18"s are loose at all.

Traditional lugs aren't any more secure, so why go with less margin for error? As stated previously, the high torque is only due to the larger wheel studs and is typical for any nut on a bolt that dimension, its nothing to do with the lug nut type.
Sponsored