Sponsored

Forgestar and Hub centric rings

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
All I purchased a used set of Forgestar F14s for my 2015 GT. The hub bore of the wheels is a bit bigger that the hubs of the car. It seems I need to use they for a perfect hub centric fit.
http://us.hubcentric-rings.com/how_to_install_hub_centric_rings/

Has anyone else had this issue before. I feel like the wheels were not originally for a mustang. The person I bought them from had them on a mustang but sold the car.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
As far as I understand it, a lot of aftermarket wheels designed to fit a variety of cars have a larger bore and you use hubcentric rings to customize it to your car. A lot cheaper than boring each wheel to size to specific cars.

OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
That is pretty much what I read as well. I just have to figure out which ones I need now. Probably most people never pay that close attention to it, but I had mine put on at a tire shop here in Stuttgart Germany because I didn't have a thin walled socket that would fit into the lugnut bores. The guys noticed the play with the bore size of the wheel and the car and recommended the rings. They didn't have the right size at their shop.
These guys even use a torque wrench when installing them. It was nice to see unlike most tire shops I have been to in the states where they just use an impact gun until it stops spinning.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
I wonder if the rings actually do anything ?

I'm thinking that they may make installation easier but it seems like final wheel position is set as you torque the lugs. Can't remember worrying about rings before I got Forgestars.

OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
They are plastic they can't do a lot. You are right the lug nuts are centering. On the way home yesterday I did get up to 80 mph with any vibrations.

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
You can also buy aluminum hubcentric rings as well. They're not much more expensive than the plastic ones.

Sithel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here's a nice read I found explaining Hub Centric Vs. Lug Centric mounting. Take it for what it's worth, but it does seem to make sense.

Hub Centric Vs. Lug Centric

In my personal experience, I had the metal hub rings and also the hub centric spacers and both made it nearly impossible to get them off the hub if you do choose to remove them later. Maybe some type of anti-seize stuff put on the hub before mounting would help, but I dunno I sold my previous car before trying it.

OP
OP
tampasnake

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Thank you guys for the learning lesson. I enjoy knowing and this has helped a lot. I'll order them and give them a try just because.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Thank you guys for the learning lesson. I enjoy knowing and this has helped a lot. I'll order them and give them a try just because.
Welcome, I know everyone here on the board is here to help a fellow member. :thumbsup:
Sponsored