Sponsored

LT Header install question

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Got a set on the way and curious about different approaches to get this done, especially on jack stands. CJPP video basically says there’s no tricks, just take your time. I’ve heard from others locally that they jacked the motor way up, and had to rock it side to side, and recommended pulling the intake manifold (whipple in my case) to avoid damage. Heard from others still they loosen the K-member and drop the motor and getting all the bolts from below. Online, it just sounds like it takes a long time. How did you approach it? What worked well? What would you do differently if you had to do it over? TIA!
Sponsored

sher-bant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I just hired a guy and waited for him to tell me it was done.

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
I just hired a guy and waited for him to tell me it was done.
If it sounds like it’s going to be too big of a PITA to do it myself, I may go that route.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I do all my own work, but headers on jack stands looks like a bear. About half the bolts look like a cake walk , it’s those other ones that look like it’ll be an all day affair laying on the ground. Wish I had a lift!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I just got mine done on Wednesday at a shop. They had to remove a good majority of the OEM studs for the ARH longtube headers to fit. Without a lift and something to raise the engine off the mount, it's tough just with a jack. Cost me $550, but well worth it. Nice, clean, professional install and not one curse word!

They mentioned BBK headers fit like a breeze, but ARH primaries are larger and designed differently.

I normally always do my own work on my cars. This one is definitely on the more difficult side because of space constraints.

Sponsored

Stingera1a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My headers arrive monday going to tackle this job soon along with the cobra jet manifold, tb, and cai. Luckily I have access to mil base auto hobby shop. Wish me luck

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Personally, I'd rather deal with putting headers on a 390/428 big block in a '60s Mustang than my '15 based on what I've read here. If you've never done the former, it's a colossal PITA and brings on an intense hatred of shock towers.

If and when headers go on my '15, I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it myself based on past experiences. Unless fitments have dramatically improved....

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Got a set on the way and curious about different approaches to get this done, especially on jack stands. CJPP video basically says there’s no tricks, just take your time. I’ve heard from others locally that they jacked the motor way up, and had to rock it side to side, and recommended pulling the intake manifold (whipple in my case) to avoid damage. Heard from others still they loosen the K-member and drop the motor and getting all the bolts from below. Online, it just sounds like it takes a long time. How did you approach it? What worked well? What would you do differently if you had to do it over? TIA!
I did it mostly like the CIPP video, but on jack stands. It took a long time (probably 12 hours), but I wasn't rushing. I did have to lift the motor some with a floor jack and a piece of wood.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It's not half as bad as most will lead you to believe. Time consuming...yes. Difficult? Meh...not really.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
I just got mine done on Wednesday at a shop. They had to remove a good majority of the OEM studs for the ARH longtube headers to fit. Without a lift and something to raise the engine off the mount, it's tough just with a jack. Cost me $550, but well worth it. Nice, clean, professional install and not one curse word!

They mentioned BBK headers fit like a breeze, but ARH primaries are larger and designed differently.

I normally always do my own work on my cars. This one is definitely on the more difficult side because of space constraints.
I was thinking ARH would be easier due to the stud holes being slotted and not closed. Were your stud holes slotted?

Sponsored

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
Passenger side is a bear due to accessibility but driver side is a cake walk

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Seems like it's the passenger side that's the biatch in all generations of mustangs from sn-95 up...at least that's been my experience.
Edit: By no means am I implying that it can't be done on jack stands...like others said, it's just time consuming. I've done it and yes the passenger sides are harder, not impossible.

Last edited:

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Guys, the job is not that bad.

I've put longtubes in two different LS1 f-bodies and I swear this car was easier. Maybe I'm older and more experienced now, but I honestly think the job is over- hyped.

The worst car I've ever done was a 96 cobra. The 4v 4.6 left zero room between the heads and shock towers. That was a rough job.

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corvette Grand Sport w/Z07, 2011 Golf TDI
Yeah, I did my own and helped a couple members in my area do theirs. I agree with most posts, it's not hard, but it is time consuming. A lot of the front/top nuts are easier screwed in from above the car rather than from underneath. Getting the right angle with a swivel head wrench is the only hard part.

Edit: time wise I think the first time I did it it took me 8-10 hrs. The other times 6 hrs or so.

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
I think I can deal with simply raising the motor and taking my time. Removing the intake manifold and/or dropping the K-member sounds like a total racket for this job though. Even rocking the engine left and right makes me raise an eyebrow. Is any of that really necessary????
Sponsored