Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Kinda hit the nail on the head there. It generally sounds like poop, doesn't have the same potential or torque as the 4 banger and is not a V8. It's like the redhead middle stepchild. Oh and in the older versions it was a heavy iron boat anchor.

I love me some V6s generally, have had several Hondas and GM 3800s...but for some reason the Ford engine just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't have the same smoothness as the Honda V6 or the same torqueyness as the 3800.
My first Mustang was a 2013 V6 Convertible. I test drove the coupe at the dealership and it was good enough for me. I was underwhelmed when I drove me own convertible, due to the heavier weight, the car seemed dead. Like when I floored it, there was a 2-3 second delay until it moved. When I asked on other forums, they said that's due to the gear rations on the V6 and if I changed them that would void the warranty so I sold it after a year it just didn't cut it for me. Not to mention that it sounds dead. Every time I would pass by a V8 Mustang I hated my car even more. Thank God now I got a Mach 1 and never going back to a V6 or V4. I don't mean to offend any EcoBoost or V6 owners, they're just for me.
Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
So glad to see you still have it! You've put so much time and care into that car! I remember it because of it also being an 051A

I'm with you on all of that. The V6 isn't a torque monster, but it accelerates beautifully, and that tach spins to redline so fast... and it's a hoot on a winding road. The front of the car is lighter than a GT and it tosses around very nicely. A guy I dated had an 07 GT, beautiful car. I had him drive my 16 V6, told him to get on it. His eyes widened and he said "Woah! Baby girl likes to play!" He had a tune and headers put on his GT the next week, lol.

It's a shame some people diss the V6. These are not the stripped-down SN95s or base S197s that we all think of. Other than having carbon fiber-looking trim on the dash, rather than the silver piece, and an early version of Synch, the interior and appointments are the same as the non-premium GTs and EBs. Autos have paddle-shifters, sport mode is a hoot, remote start, push button start, dual exhaust (real, not just outlets), track apps, limited slip diff, and adjustable steering.
Mine is an 051A. Means 160 mph rated tires on 18's, fog lamps, 6-way power seat. Mine also has a 3.55 rear end, and envy of some, lol, a factory spare.

Studied a lot before buying. I was considering an EB, or possibly a GT, but then a friend had a 15 convertible loaner. He called and asked if I wanted to drive it. It was well appointed- and when I got on it at a stop light it left a couple of good streaks of rubber. I couldn't figure out which engine it had, because it had a nice growl. It didn't sound like a 4, nor an 8, but had too much power and was too nice to be a 6. Ha! Was I wrong.

Car insurance is really high here, and although I have a clean license, and no claims in 12 years, it is $2000 a year for me. A GT would be $3000 a year.

I also found that Car& Driver had tested it with a 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, a quarter mile is 14.1 seconds @102 mph. With the 3.15 rear end. Rated at 300 hp on 87, though I use a higher octane. It just makes the car feel more lively? Eager? No stumbles, no ping or reduction in power when you are driving with 116° registering on the dash. Add to that a reasonably respectable .86gs on all season tires, being able to spank stock 4.6 GTs all day long. and look good doing it..

It has gained a bit of respect with our Mustang club members. We go on cruises that are well over 100 miles, and there is a bit of "spirited" driving. One couple has a 17 GT350, and get a kick out of driving together. They always tell people that they can punch it in the Shelby, take off down the road, look back after a couple seconds, and see me catching up a few car lengths behind. They were telling some other members, and I explained it as a 3.55 limited slip and using ALL 300+ hp, lol. And being a little crazy. Catching a car isn't that hard anyway, on public roads they have to let up... :wink:

I've only put an aFe dry filter on, and Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. After 6 years, it still gets compliments, still fun to drive, and I still look back at it every time I park it.

mustang night2.jpg

Mustang at Ford vs Ferrari.jpg

Mustang club and I shelby american (2).jpg

mustang wax.jpg
Your cars a beauty as well! Understated is a good thing but she’s clean and looks like you just got it from the showroom floor. I too have Michelin Pilot AS-4’s on mine and it definitely ups the grip and fun factor. Thanks for writing what you did as the V6 Mustangs are not at all the derogatory things some people espouse. They’re fun, fast and just as sporty as any V8 especially with just a few simple tweaks. 🙂

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
A65A079B-0C6C-46F6-B963-49957CC107BF.jpeg

Loved my old V6. The 3.7 is reliable and has enough pep to get you around town. I would’ve kept it if I could afford it and had the garage space.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Your cars a beauty as well! Understated is a good thing but she’s clean and looks like you just got it from the showroom floor. I too have Michelin Pilot AS-4’s on mine and it definitely ups the grip and fun factor. Thanks for writing what you did as the V6 Mustangs are not at all the derogatory things some people espouse. They’re fun, fast and just as sporty as any V8 especially with just a few simple tweaks. 🙂
Right, but make those exact same tweaks to the V8 and watcha got? You can tweak any motor to do almost anything but it’s only relevant to compare stock to stock or tweaked to tweaked.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '15 3.7 and loved it. I love my GT more. The power and sound of the V8 are just more fun. If Ford had offered the V6 Ecoboost from the F150 in the Mustang, though, I would have been tempted. More power and torque than the V8, and potentially bigger gains with a tune.
Sponsored