Sponsored

Los Angeles & After-market Exhausts

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new catback (FRPP Touring or Corsa Sport) and wanted to get up to speed on what that may mean if I bump into LAPD.

Few questions.
1. Should I keep and store my stock exhaust?
2. What does the average modified exhaust ticket run?
3. The FRPP touring is 50 state legal according to Borla. Should I try to find and keep documentation of this fact in the glove compartment?
4. Anything else I should be aware of re: my rights and obligations?

and

5. For those that have lived in LA for a while with aftermarket exhausts have you run into any issues (especially on the west side)?

In general I'm planning to be courteous around neighborhoods but from reading this forum it sounds like law enforcement is pretty subjective in how it treats drivers with aftermarket parts (especially around Santa Monica, Westwood, etc).
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
With something mild like the Borla I wouldn't worry.

As for the cost of a ticket, I am not sure whether it's a fine or just a fix it ticket.

If you get pulled over, just be honest and don't be a dick. It sounds simple but it's true that it helps.

I went from a mid pipe and muffler deletes to straight pipes. I cannot mask the sound of my car and it's painfully obvious what the setup is. I just be respectful on city streets.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Ok, Santa Monica cops are probably more strict than any other area due to the tourist and high pop density/crime.

I have the FRPP Sport

I travel through these areas daily/weekly with no problems ever....Marina Del Rey(good), Brentwood(good), Beverly Hills(good), Hollywood(not as good but not terrible) and everywhere in between these areas.

I drive around Santa Monica whenever possible, because of traffic.

Just keep your eyes open and take it easy if you seen them obviously and I think you should be fine.

Lots of loud cars from the factory these days with all the optional exhaust and sports exhaust etc. should be able to blend in pretty well.

I always roll down the tinted windows when I see them, so they can see I'm not on my phone etc.

Rca4697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
If it's legal in cali then just carry the paperwork with you all the time and you will be fine. A cop can be a dick whenever he wants. If you do http pulled then expect what happened to me. When I had an Evo, I got pulled over due to exhaust and that triggered them to pop my hood. I had all chromed piping and didn't say squat until he saw a bov and said that it should not be there so he sent me to a ref. So I had to put it back to stock, take it to the ref and get signed off, then take papereork to the judge and then he asked me to pay 10 bucks for fixing the issue and showing him proof with paperwork. ( I got lucky, I heard of people paying more than 250 from judge on top of all other stuff). It's just a big hassle,

Now that said, with my eco and exhaust, I feel that cops don't really pay that much attention to exhausts just because it's a mustang and not a rice rocket. I have not had an issue and I drive around L.A., van nuys, sylmar, Glendale, Burbank.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I've never even had LAPD look twice at me. When I had an Evo I got pulled over constantly, Mustang never. *knocks on wood*

Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Torrance PD is probably also up there in regards to how strict they are but I haven't had an issue with my Borla S-Type exhaust yet. But I also don't drive WOT all the time. Just take it easy, OP and you should be fine.

DanielIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT w/ 50th Anniversary Pack
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had any bad experience driving around Santa Monica or anywhere on the west side but I know they definitely look at me like they want to. I just don't give them a reason to. IF they were really in a mood, they'll get you no matter what exhaust you have. Carb certified pieces normally come with a sticker that you put in your engine bay (or keep in your glove box) but that doesn't solve our sound level restrictions either so they can still get you for volume if they can't get you for anything else.

My advice is to be respectful. Bring the "don't be that guy" attitude with you from the car meets to the streets and whatever happens happens man.

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
Just don't drive in 2nd gear at highway speeds or crazy downshifts in front of cops & you'll be fine, haha. The Touring exhaust is very quiet at cruising and light driving (I have the Sport one). Domestic cars generally don't get profiled for exhaust tickets.

ARK Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A catback exhaust system does not need to be "CARB certified" since it's not emissions related. The issue is sound. In California we have a 95 dB limit. As long as you aren't revving high or doing anything to attract attention, normally the cops won't hassle you.

Usually it's just a fix it ticket as well where you must put the OEM exhaust on (highly recommend you keep that) and take it in to get tested.
I think prices really depend on the area, but normally aren't too high. There's a fee to the police station for inspecting the exhaust and then the fee for the ticket.

Hope this helps!

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't put an exhaust on my car because I don't want to give the cops a reason to pull me over, same with tint. Why give them the excuse they need?

Sponsored

ARK Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I don't put an exhaust on my car because I don't want to give the cops a reason to pull me over, same with tint. Why give them the excuse they need?
Both are legal to do, as long as you aren't above 95 dB and have an adequate muffler; and for tint your front side windows must allow at least 70% of light through. But the rest of the windows can be tinted as much as you want.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Got a fix it for exhaust in LA a month ago, went to CHP station, they signed it off without even checking the car. Then all I had to pay was $25 correctable violation fee. Don't worry about it.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
When you get an exhaust and tint you will understand why. I could never drive my car stock again.

Geotoxic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have pretty dark tints and a SW H-pipe exhaust. Decently loud imo but still 50 state legal.

I was at a red light when a Santa Ana PD cruiser pulled up next to me and told me how nice it sounded and asked about how I like the mustang.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I live in Irvine, where cops are seriously bored and will pull you over for any reason they can think of.

I've got the Corsa Sport Catback, had cops directly behind me on numerous occasions and they haven't bothered with me.
I have been pulled over for having too dark tints on the side windows, but never anything exhaust related.

As previously stated, keep an eye out for local PD on the streets and keep off the loud pedal when you are near them and you should be fine.
Sponsored