Looking to upgrade cameras

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
Well would like some input from some fellow auto enthusiasts on cameras, DSLR or mirror-less. With having the stang, im just getting seriously back into photography. I have an old Nikon D200 that i bought long ago new when i bought my first car, then kinda stopped doing photography for a bit.

Sooo. What are everyone's opinions on cameras, recommendations, ideas, good deals.

I would really like to get a full frame. Budget is flexible. Also didn't really get into buying many lenses the first time, at that point money was tight. Now that is no longer the case.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
There are a few photography related threads here and some amazing photographers. Check these out for some inspiration.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45295

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46507&highlight=CAMERA
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31176&highlight=CAMERA

If I had an unlimited budget today, I'd be between a Nikon D750 with a 24-70 f2.8 and an 85mm f1.4 for nature and portrait photography or a D500 with a 70-200 2.8 for sports and wildlife.

Really any camera body will do the job, to focus your intentions with the camera you will need to look at the lenses that will get the image you want. If your first focus will be on cars then look at wide angle lenses. A full frame with the 24-70 would be just about perfect for a ton of different subjects.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I don't know too much about Nikon, I committed to the Canon family years ago (100-400L lens plus some others). Right now I am shooting with a 7D which is OK, but my parents got a 6D (at my recommendation, they own a 1250 acre ranch and are constantly taking wildlife pictures near dark) with the same 100-400L plus one other point and shoot lens and it takes fantastic pictures. The difference is so huge it really blew my mind. If I were to buy today with a larger budget, would spring for a 5D MkIII, the photo quality is so impressive and so is the auto focus. The 7D has an incredible feature set, and for sports in good light the 8fps capture is awesome, but the photo quality is not what I was hoping for. Have taken it to sporting events (my kids, not pro), airshows and general family and wildlife, and I feel it does really well maybe 40% of the time (bright light, static or slow moving subject), acceptable another 40% (somewhat low light, fast moving subjects) and disappointing 20% (low light, when I want to crop a subject). Pictures have a lot of noise and do not feel sharp at all. It is great in good light, but not so much in low light.

I would recommend checking out dpreview.com, have spent a ton of time there over the past ~15 yrs, and they have great side by side pictures and example images, plus their reviews are almost better than the user's guides.

Good luck!

OP
OP
chrisgonzales

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Since i don't have anything worth selling i'm essentially starting out new, and so i'm not stuck with any system. Been looking at the sony mirrorless system to see if mirrorless is worth venturing into but not sure of sony as a whole yet with glass. But really want a full frame for my next as it will have more potential but don't want to spend so much that i can't buy the lenses i want. This is only a hobby for me.

Anyone have any input on the mirrorless systems out there. Been looking at sony and fujifilm as they are mention often recently.

OP
OP
chrisgonzales

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Made the plunge and got a d750 with the kit lens and picked up a tamron 15-30 2.8 for wide angle, also gonna try to pick up a few primes (already have a 50 1.8) but gonna play with the camera for a bit. i wanted to step up to full frame so dslr was a better fit for my budget than mirrorless at the moment.