Sponsored

Looking for Advice - Tons of Issues

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hello. I own a 2017 GT PP 6MT with about 36.5k miles. I purchased it as a new special order/leftover in June of 2018. Since then, the car has been in the shop for the following issues:

-Backup camera
-Seat heating module
-Seat back blower
-Puddle lights
-Seat stitching defect
-Paint bubbling on the hood
-Side mirrors traveling to extremes automatically
-Left side of the car starting to blow cold air when the heat is on
-Coolant found in the oil (told it was too little, could not find any coolant exterior or internal via borescope, too little to do exploratory work so just drive it and see if it gets worse)

Some of these have been 1-3 day stints at the dealer for repair. Some of these have been multiple trips. Some of these are still ongoing issues. I do not believe I technically qualify for a lemon law as I've not been back 3-4 times for the same issue and it's probably been close, but I don't think I've hit the 30 day downtime mark.

Do I have enough here to go to big Ford and try and reason with them for either some sort of additional protection plan, compensation, or discount towards a new vehicle? I'm really fed up with this car and I think it's time to move on. I'm especially not happy about having to drive with coolant mixing with the engine and see what happens. I just picked the car up yesterday, it was there for two days for the coolant, left side heating issue, and mirror clicking. They said they fixed the mirrors via an SSM (I read it and it was my exact problem), I go to test it out and 2 out of 3 times it continued to it and was told to just keep an eye on it. This last stint was the only time I was given a loaner vehicle; it progressed from we don't do that, to we have a couple but give them to people who's car is in for major issues, to them finally caving.

Anyone been through similar? Who can I talk to about this? Or am I just on my own to get rid of it via private sale/trade-in/etc.? Really appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
It might be time to trade it or sell it to one of the online car buying places.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
How did you determine you have coolant in your oil? little milky or something?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
CT State .gov Lemon Law website:
https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Lemon-Law/Lemon-Law-App/Lemon-Law-for-the-Consumer

Official complete CT State Lemon Law info:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DCP/Lemon-Law/lemonlaw_guide_2017.pdf

CT Lemon Law survey you need to take to see if your vehicle mi
https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Lemon-Law/Lemon-Law-App/Lemon-Law-Eligibility-Tool

—

The CT Lemon Law states:
The Lemon Law covers vehicles that are purchased or leased and registered in Connecticut as “passanger”, “combination”, or “motorcycle” for the first 24,000 miles or two (2) years.
Unfortunately, I think the time has expired for filing a claim. It’s not to say you can’t, but the probability of it being denied due to the above stated time period is most likely high.

The car meets the provisions in the Law as I read it, but again I’m not sure if you can still get approved due to the time constraint. If I were you, try to file and see what happens - due to COVID, there’s been grace period extensions for nearly everything so maybe you will get lucky.

As long as you have all of your facts and Ford Service Center work orders, you have a legit claim.

—-

As for the coolant found in the oil, was that clearly documented on any Ford Work order and what their recommendation is? I mean, there are reasons coolant can get in oil which if not properly repaired could be detrimental and/or end in eventual engine failure.

You can contact the Ford 800# to get a Ford CSR to open a Case if you’re not satisfied with the results of the repair(s). If during that conversation you request (politely demand) a Ford Buy Back, the CSR would also have to review all facts including your warranty work events to determine next direction. Ford and Ford RAV go strictly by State Lemon Laws and they do not deviate from those Laws. So, if your vehicle qualifies per your Home State’s Lemon Law, then Ford has an obligation to making the Consumer whole based on those Lemon Law provisions.

If you need to learn more about Ford Buy Back procedures or Ford RAV, search the following terms on here as I’ve posted lots of info that has benefitted others:
Ford RAV
Lemon Law
Ford Buy Back
Swap of collateral
Ford Buy Back Refund

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
How did you determine you have coolant in your oil? little milky or something?
Yes, the service manager told me as the tech was draining the oil, they noticed it was frothy and light in color and got lighter in color as it drained. He also said there was steam present.

CT State .gov Lemon Law website:
https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Lemon-Law/Lemon-Law-App/Lemon-Law-for-the-Consumer

Official complete CT State Lemon Law info:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DCP/Lemon-Law/lemonlaw_guide_2017.pdf

CT Lemon Law survey you need to take to see if your vehicle mi
https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Lemon-Law/Lemon-Law-App/Lemon-Law-Eligibility-Tool

—

The CT Lemon Law states:

Unfortunately, I think the time has expired for filing a claim. It’s not to say you can’t, but the probability of it being denied due to the above stated time period is most likely high.

The car meets the provisions in the Law as I read it, but again I’m not sure if you can still get approved due to the time constraint. If I were you, try to file and see what happens - due to COVID, there’s been grace period extensions for nearly everything so maybe you will get lucky.

As long as you have all of your facts and Ford Service Center work orders, you have a legit claim.

—-

As for the coolant found in the oil, was that clearly documented on any Ford Work order and what their recommendation is? I mean, there are reasons coolant can get in oil which if not properly repaired could be detrimental and/or end in eventual engine failure.

You can contact the Ford 800# to get a Ford CSR to open a Case if you’re not satisfied with the results of the repair(s). If during that conversation you request (politely demand) a Ford Buy Back, the CSR would also have to review all facts including your warranty work events to determine next direction. Ford and Ford RAV go strictly by State Lemon Laws and they do not deviate from those Laws. So, if your vehicle qualifies per your Home State’s Lemon Law, then Ford has an obligation to making the Consumer whole based on those Lemon Law provisions.

If you need to learn more about Ford Buy Back procedures or Ford RAV, search the following terms on here as I’ve posted lots of info that has benefitted others:
Ford RAV
Lemon Law
Ford Buy Back
Swap of collateral
Ford Buy Back Refund
Thanks a lot for this info. I have a feeling it's going to be a PITA to try and get service records/work orders from my dealership. For some reason I just think they are just going to question why I want them and the hassle it will be for them to get it. I wonder if I need to get them, or if big Ford will be able to access everything themselves?

Also yes the coolant issue was documented with Ford (according to the service rep and service manager at the dealership).

The heating issue has returned, so this is going on 3-4 repairs now, over the course of about 15 months, that may help the case.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Every time I took my car in for repairs I kept all documentation given to me. It states the concern and what they found/did to fix the problem. I have quite the folder as my car has been a frequent visitor.

The dealership should have no concerns giving you that information. Just tell them you would like copies of your service records. If they do thats a red flag.

I would contact Ford to verify they have it documented concerning the oil situation. Get a name, employee number or documentation ref number.

Out of all your issues that would be my main focus.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks. I do keep the invoices with the problems and such on them. My only concern is I'm not sure if they properly show if my car was there for just the day or multiple days, since that could help my case for lemon law applicability. I'll have to check that today. I think I'll gather all of that up and give Ford a call next week about all of this and see what else they may want or need.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Thanks. I do keep the invoices with the problems and such on them. My only concern is I'm not sure if they properly show if my car was there for just the day or multiple days, since that could help my case for lemon law applicability. I'll have to check that today. I think I'll gather all of that up and give Ford a call next week about all of this and see what else they may want or need.

It should say in date with mileage and release date/mileage.

You should be good to go.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks, I will take a look tonight.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Every time I took my car in for repairs I kept all documentation given to me. It states the concern and what they found/did to fix the problem. I have quite the folder as my car has been a frequent visitor.

The dealership should have no concerns giving you that information. Just tell them you would like copies of your service records. If they do thats a red flag.

I would contact Ford to verify they have it documented concerning the oil situation. Get a name, employee number or documentation ref number.

Out of all your issues that would be my main focus.
Correct with the above and the Customer Work Order should have the same exact comments, notes and directives as what would be seen in OASIS. There’s no hidden agendas or variances with what the Tech documents. Once the Tech adds info to the vehicle he’s working on (by VIN), that’s the same record printed and handed to you.

Each Work Order will always have the date of the appointment, the “mileage in”, “mileage out” and the completion date (usually pick up date). So whatever is in your work orders is what I meant by having the facts.

I do believe you meet the criteria of your Home State’s LL based on the info provided in the previous links. You can file and see what happens, especially since the vehicle has had so many varying issues.

Is it a PIA to file and deal with the Ford CSR and Ford RAV? Sure it is and yes, it’s a tedious process - BUT many of us have gone through it successfully. It’s just a matter of knowing your State’s LL provisions, having all the facts and going through the process with patience.

Definitley get a Ford CSR involved with a Case started. Explain to the CSR that at this point you would like to do a Buy Back ONLY IF you’re at that point of no return and do not feel any further warranty repairs will satisfy you or make you whole.

Again, I do highly suggest you read up on here about the Ford Buy Back processes and do know what is afforded to you by your State Lemon Laws.
Sponsored