kyo8530

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KEvin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2000 Mustang Gt, 2000 Mustang GT
Hello everyone,

I have been to the drag strip several times and the factory Goodyear Eagle just stinks when it comes to grip. What do you recommend for a rear tire I can put on the factory 20" wheel that will get me some more grip and be good in the rain? I wasn't sure if a drag radial would be ok if I get caught in a storm.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Michelin PS4S if you want something good in the rain.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Nitto 555RII is a great street use drag radial that’s ok in the rain

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Hello everyone,

I have been to the drag strip several times and the factory Goodyear Eagle just stinks when it comes to grip. What do you recommend for a rear tire I can put on the factory 20" wheel that will get me some more grip and be good in the rain? I wasn't sure if a drag radial would be ok if I get caught in a storm.
As @hossman mentioned, Nittos new NT555RII has been getting great reviews for wet traction along with dry performance. The Michelin PS4S would also be a great choice. Tires are a product of compromise, meaning no tire can score 5 out of 5 in every performance attribute, there will always be a give and take. Utilizing your driving habits and what you value most in a tire along with your local climate, then comparing to what options are offered in that size can help narrow down the selection to the most ideal for your needs.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Good grip in the rain and sticky for the street in one tire is hard to come by..
I've read the Firehawk Indy 500's stick pretty good but don't know how they do in the rain.

With that said, any 20" tire is not going get GREAT traction because of the hard side walls less tire flex.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Goodyear Supercar 3. Not sure how I would characterize it in the rain though. I mean for commutting is was fine, I didn't push it in the rain. The Contis work great IMO and their soft sidewalls will likely help at the strip.

OP
OP

kyo8530

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KEvin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2000 Mustang Gt, 2000 Mustang GT
Thank you for all the helpful reply's. I am going to go with the Nitto 555RII and see how they work. I will try to get some gopro video as well from the track.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thank you for all the helpful reply's. I am going to go with the Nitto 555RII and see how they work. I will try to get some gopro video as well from the track.
did you get these tires?

I see the come in a 275 35r20. Which would work well with the stock 20” rims.
How do you like them?
Sponsored