Sponsored

Looking at a 17 GT with 727hp Roush Phase 2

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Hey folks I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this car. My concerns are durability and drivability. Also the dealer insists that the factory power train warranty is not voided but everywhere I read it says it is and only has a 3/36 parts only warranty. One last thing is the car has a 3.55 rear which would it be better to have the 3.31's? Thanks!
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2015-mustang-supercharger.html
2015-2017 Ford Mustang Supercharger - Phase 1 670 HP Calibrated

3-Year/36,000-Mile ROUSH-supplied parts only limited warranty

Optional 3-Year/36,000-Mile ROUSH Drivetrain Warranty available for purchase ($995.00 additional)

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2015-2016-Ford-Mustang-Supercharger-Phase-2-727-HP.html
2015-2017 Ford Mustang Supercharger - Phase 2 727 HP Calibrated

3-Year/36,000 Mile ROUSH parts only limited warranty

if you don't know the history of the car, I would negotiate the price to cover OPG, C/S, and clutch. If it has a clutch.

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
It's a brand new car at the dealer by the way!

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
Anybody know why the phase 2 is not emissions legal on the 2017 Mustang?
"NOT APPROVED for sale or installation on 2017 model year in the state of California, or any other states that require an Executive Order Number".

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Anybody know why the phase 2 is not emissions legal on the 2017 Mustang?
"NOT APPROVED for sale or installation on 2017 model year in the state of California, or any other states that require an Executive Order Number".
Because it hasn't been through the CARB approval process.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
When I ordered my car April 2016 with the stage 1 Roush/ FP supercharger, I missed the cutoff date for the 2016 model year and was upgraded to a 2017 at no additional cost. Car arrived to my dealer in June and they proceeded to put the Roush supercharger on the car. They then sent the PCM to Roush to get flashed and were told they can't do 2017 cars due to not having CARB certification. At this point in time I had a considerable down payment invested into the car, which was now essentially a giant paperweight. At that time, CARB approval wasn't likely until at least December 2016. I reached out to Lebanon performance (where I got the idea from), Ford Performance, Roush, and even corporate FORD to find out there was nothing they can do with the 2017 model year at that time.

I voiced this concern on the forums and Dustin from Whipple reached out to me. We worked out a deal with my car dealership where they removed the Roush supercharger, returned it, and then installed a stage 2 Whipple for the same price. I was able to take delivery 07/06/16.They even wrote up the sales agreement to include the stage 2 Whipple with my warranty as not to void it. I was originally going with the 670hp stage 1 Roush/FP kit strictly because I didn't want to void the factory warranty on a brand new car. Due to the unforeseen circumstances of the kit not being compatible with the 2017 model year, I was able to get this approved through corporate FORD. I may certainly be an exception to getting the car warrantied with a Whipple.

I had all of my mods in my signature (less OPG/CG/ATI) done at time of delivery and wrapped into the vehicle financing....total out the door price $54,000. Once, I saw Shawn blow his original motor due to OPG failure, I went back to the dealership and had them install the OPG/CG/ATI. Purchased the parts from Terry and dealer only charged $500 to install.

Since ownership and 4,700 miles later, I've only had 2 minor issues with the car related to the Whipple. First incident was a belt being tossed due to the new Whipple tensioner bracket being installed upside down, and the second being when the Whipple Air filter rubbed up against a ground inside the air box causing it to snap. Both instances were resolved under warranty without any charge.

All in all, couldn't be happier with how the car turned out.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Holy hell factory approved street legal CJ with a warranty pretty much.

Damn you thats some good timing and worked out great for you!

Now how do the rest of us leverage Ford for a warrantied Whipple Package!!

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I'd be interested to see how it is handled if there is ever a power train issue. By noooo means saying that the warranty isn't real.. but i'd be very interested of the outcome with an actual power train problem. Hopefully that never has to be tested and the car remains problem free. I did a shit ton of research on the Roush / FRPP SC and found there was no such thing as "keeping the factory power train warranty". You could opt to buy the Roush warranty for $995, but the only way you had factory Ford warranty is if you bought a true Roush stage 2 or 3 strait from the dealer, with the SC in place before the dealership even got the car. Warranties are always great, until there is a serious issue to be covered. Stang 17 had a very strange, and one off type of situation come up. So maybe they will view it / handle it differently. Hopefully you never have to find out :)

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was under the impression the Phase I voided the factory powertrain warranty so Roush sells an Add On powertrain warranty for $995. I also thought the Phase II upgrade voided any powertrain warranty. Maybe buying direct from a dealer makes a difference?

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I was under the impression the Phase I voided the factory powertrain warranty so Roush sells an Add On powertrain warranty for $995. I also thought the Phase II upgrade voided any powertrain warranty. Maybe buying direct from a dealer makes a difference?
I believe Phase 1 is fine, as there is no SC added to the phase 1. Just cosmetic upgrades I believe. So I don't think that one impacts the factory warranty. When I first bought my car I had full intentions to go Roush / Ford Racing, and have it installed at a certified Roush dealership, in order to keep the factory powertrain warranty. Then found out that was not the case at all. So I moved away from that brand.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood your post at first. You probably meant Phase 1 SC (670 HP) compared to Phase II (727 HP) My bad. I actually meant Roush "Stage 2 & 3". Not Phase 2 & 3.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
In regards to the available warranty for phase 1 Roush/FP superchargers....

If you put a phase 1 Roush/ FP supercharger on the car and it is installed by the dealership or other ASE qualified mechanic, it only voids the "power-train" portion of the Ford bumper to bumper warranty. "Power-train" being engine, transmission, axles You can purchase the warranty from Roush/FP to basically replace the "power-train" portion of the bumper to bumper warranty lost by installing the supercharger.

If you go phase 2, no optional "power-train" warranty is available.

A custom tune would also void the warranty.

RoushCharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Ruby & Loaded
Roush does support their 1K$ warranty for the phase 1 supercharger, and you should get one if you buy the Roush Stage 3. I recently had 9K worth of work paid for by Roush (a new block / new cylinder head + labor) after about 12K miles on the supercharger. Compression was almost nil in one piston, assume I had a bad case of misfire while on boost somehow. The phase 2 mods void the Roush warranty.

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Whoa that last post doesn't inspire confidence of the durability. I'm really intrigued by the performance aspect of this setup but don't want a $45000 paperweight either if there is issues, if that's the case I would be better off getting a loaded stock GT Premium. Just curious do you have 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73 gears on your Roush?

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Depending on what the sale price of the Phase 2 Mustang is, you could buy a GT, configured as you wish, in the $28K range and have a Phase 1 Roush SC installed in the $8K range then buy the extended Roush Warranty for another $1K and for +/- $37K you've got a 670HP street car......tough to find a lower HP/$ ratio than that. If your main concern is reliability/durability, I don't think you'd notice a significant difference between 670 and 727 HP on the street.

RoushCharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Ruby & Loaded
I've got 3.31's in the car. I also agree, you won't miss the extra 50hp on the street. I barely noticed it when they flashed it from 620 to 670 (from when Roush and Ford had limited the non Roush branded cars) since this is a convertible with street tires that doesn't see the track.
Sponsored