Leaking transmission 2018 10R80

Jmcharry13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I did a hard pull yesterday and noticed a slight slip/studder but didn't think it was crazy out of the ordinary....then saw smoke............. So, of course, I'm thinking the worse and thinking head gasket or low oil. But nope... Leaking fluid, and it blew back to the exhaust. I pulled over and checked under the car, and then I see a bunch of fluid coming out of the transmission. I took the car to the dealer, and they said they found the transmission oil pan warped. Supposably they replaced it. They had the car for 2 months and then I just got it back. Everything was running fine, and then I did a pull, and it's slipping again. 7th, 8th and 9th gears sometimes it slips. When i got home, i checked and its leaking again. I don't know if its because the transmission gets too hot ot what is going on. I'm thinking about getting a Mishimoto transmission cooler to see if that would help keep the train running cooler and hopefully fix the issue or just wait till it gets bad to get the transmission replaced by warranty. Has anyone had this particular problem? if yes, what was the issue and how did you fix it. Thank you
leaking trans.jpg
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You should be taking this back to the dealer (a different one preferably). You might have a lemon case on your hand if it takes long again or if they keep giving it to you leaking.

Also driving around the street won't get the trans that hot that it warps the pan. You have other issues, nothing a bigger cooler would solve. The OEM cooler is plenty unless you actively track the car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yea, definitely something is up, because the trans (and oil) pans aren’t just plastic, they’re nylon impregnated and quite strong/resistant to extreme temps as well.

So even if you weren’t doing a pull, just being in normal traffic or at idle, the Trans fluid is going to get very hot. If it was a pan material issue from heat, it would have warped much sooner and not just on a pull…

Have you checked to see if all the trans pan bolts are tight?

Can you tell exactly where the fluid is coming from, other than seeing that the bottom of the pan is wet? Have you followed the trans lines from the trans to see if there’s any fluid on the lines?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Are you modded at all? What hp and mods? My trans was leaking some, it ended up being a torque converter bushing that came loose and somehow caused the transmission to leak. Was fixed under warranty.

OP
OP

Jmcharry13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you modded at all? What hp and mods? My trans was leaking some, it ended up being a torque converter bushing that came loose and somehow caused the transmission to leak. Was fixed under warranty.
No mods at all, I just brought it back to the dealer this morning, they said they’ll call me tomorrow with an update, hopefully they don’t keep the car for too long. :( I already started looking for lawyers for lemon law.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmcharry13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yea, definitely something is up, because the trans (and oil) pans aren’t just plastic, they’re nylon impregnated and quite strong/resistant to extreme temps as well.

So even if you weren’t doing a pull, just being in normal traffic or at idle, the Trans fluid is going to get very hot. If it was a pan material issue from heat, it would have warped much sooner and not just on a pull…

Have you checked to see if all the trans pan bolts are tight?

Can you tell exactly where the fluid is coming from, other than seeing that the bottom of the pan is wet? Have you followed the trans lines from the trans to see if there’s any fluid on the lines?
Yes, the first time it was coming from the right side (passenger side) and this this time around it was coming from left side (driver side), and no was going to but I just don’t want to mess with it since the car is still under warranty. I just brought it back to the dealer this morning, let’s see what they said tomorrow, they said they would call me back but I doubt it. Thanks for your input man!

raulienga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raul
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2018
What service did it turn out?

I have exactly the same problem and what caused it was the same reason. He threw oil from the top.
Sponsored