10r80 automatic transmission issues

bobm808

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost Premium Mustang
Ok, this is my first post here. I have a 2018 EcoBoost Premium w/ PP. My car is currently at the dealer with transmission issues.

A few weeks ago I brought it in because it was having transmission issues. It was going into gear hard at a cold start. It was also experiencing issues going from reverse to drive, where it would not go into gear and then all of a sudden it would lurch into gear. I originally though it was the brakes being warped. Was told it was not the brakes and it was the transmission. After a week I got it back. No more hard shifting issues or warp feeling.

Now a couple of weeks later the warp feeling came back. Now I can "feel" it down shifting as well as up shifting....

It has been back at the dealer for 2 days now and I have heard nothing....anyone else having 10r80 issues?!?!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What was the diagnosis or repairs documented on your work order from the initial visit to the Dealer?

OP
OP
bobm808

bobm808

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
What was the diagnosis or repairs documented on your work order from the initial visit to the Dealer?
Here is an image of the work they did. Don’t know what most of it means though...
Just got an update today and they need the car longer so they can actually remove the entire transmission
007718FF-43FB-403D-A48E-70A76071DFC1.jpeg

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I recently just took my 2018 with a 10R80 into a dealership for a similar issue. The park to reverse, or reverse to drive are very harsh. The service manager got in the car for 4 minutes, shifted it a bit and go out and told me something is definitely wrong. It won't be in the shop for another two weeks but as soon as they take a look at it, I will report back.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is an image of the work they did. Don’t know what most of it means though...
Just got an update today and they need the car longer so they can actually remove the entire transmission
007718FF-43FB-403D-A48E-70A76071DFC1.jpeg
So they fixed it, per your work order (working normally), but there are still issues?

Sponsored

OP
OP
bobm808

bobm808

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
So they fixed it, per your work order (working normally), but there are still issues?
well they fixed my initial issues....but a few days after getting it back I started experiencing other issues. I could actually feel, as in "a small jerk" it down shifting as well as the same issue up shifting as well. Car has been in the shop for a week and a half, I was told today they need it until at least next week and that are completely overhauling the transmission and are working with Ford Engineers to make sure they are on the right track....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well they fixed my initial issues....but a few days after getting it back I started experiencing other issues. I could actually feel, as in "a small jerk" it down shifting as well as the same issue up shifting as well. Car has been in the shop for a week and a half, I was told today they need it until at least next week and that are completely overhauling the transmission and are working with Ford Engineers to make sure they are on the right track....
Ohhhh... hmmm, wonder why they need to overhaul (and exactly what they are overhauling) the 10R80?

The trans is an adaptive learning trans, so even after resetting it from the repair, it may act a little strange until some miles are accrued on it and it relearns the driving strategy.

Definitely keep us updated.

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My does the same thing in the morning. Reverse car and put in drive. Accelerate, rpm increased and gear won’t engaged. Until I set my foot off the gas and accelerate again.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
My does the same thing in the morning. Reverse car and put in drive. Accelerate, rpm increased and gear won’t engaged. Until I set my foot off the gas and accelerate again.

There may be a problem with the valve body in these cars that Ford has been very quiet about. I don’t own one I just noted it. Then it get gummed up with metal shaving and the like if not addressed early. That is just what I hear, so take this with a grain of salt but might be worth investigating.

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mines currently at the dealership getting a valve body replacement because of this issue

Sponsored

rsibs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Took mine in because of lurching from reverse to drive, hard shift from 2nd to 1st and 6th to 5th, and delayed upshifting. Service center was able to recreate the issue and kept it so they could open up the transmission to look into it. Called me yesterday and said it was the valve body and will have it until at least Thursday.

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Took mine in because of lurching from reverse to drive, hard shift from 2nd to 1st and 6th to 5th, and delayed upshifting. Service center was able to recreate the issue and kept it so they could open up the transmission to look into it. Called me yesterday and said it was the valve body and will have it until at least Thursday.
Has the work on your car been completed? Did the issue get fixed?
Took my car to the dealership this past Friday for the same issue, they are stating the Valve body needs to be replaced.

rsibs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Has the work on your car been completed? Did the issue get fixed?
Took my car to the dealership this past Friday for the same issue, they are stating the Valve body needs to be replaced.
Yeah, they’ve fixed it, but several months later I’m starting to notice some of the same signs of something being wrong that I dealt with the first time around.
Sponsored