Sponsored

Leaked GT500 Pics and specs from dealer meeting today!

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
That is a solid looking car! Hope the GT500 is close. The bar needs to be painted across the front

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Shelby GT350 TY
I love the car, not crazy about the shade of blue in that lighting though. Want to see it outside in the wild! I'll be interested in one.

However I was really hoping for a DCT. I wasnt exactly happy with the 10 speed in my 17 Raptor.
I'm with you on the 10 speed. I have it in my F150...not a fan at all.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Found it.....its from Anderson Composites
2020 GT500 Pred 2.jpg
Was just coming here to post this. More reason to wish that Ford had based the GT500 front end off the 2018!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Was just coming here to post this. More reason to wish that Ford had based the GT500 front end off the 2018!
If they did, it wouldnā€™t be out until 2025

:cwl::cwl:

But honestly, they would have had to reengineer the GOR, and thatā€™s why it remained per-facelift.

Sponsored

AV8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AV8R
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Iā€™ve been reading and listening to guys on here and YouTube going on and on (and on and on) about the GT500 using the old style lights. That I finally had to say something.

Be honest guys. The old style is a better, meaner looking design than the ā€˜derpyā€™ new style.
You just donā€™t like them because theyā€™re old. (And itā€™s just the shape we are talking about here, as Ford Iā€™m sure, will use the latest technology inside the old shape headlight).
Iā€™ve looked at pictures of the new face shot from the best angles, and looked at the car in real life from all angles, and I donā€™t like two aspects. The lights and the lower outer front bumper.

The reason the new lights look kinda ā€˜offā€™ is that the outer corners donā€™t flow with ANY other line on the car in that wheel arch area and down into the lower bumper area. The old style lights do.
I suspect the designers for the refresh were trying to get back to the design cues of the original mustangs.
If you look at the 60s cars in profile the lights donā€™t have to flow with the arch as they are far enough in front of the wheel arch to not be affected, so can be at their own design angle.
It would just take a minor tweak to adjust this and the new lights would look way better.

The same can be said of the big triangular slab at the outer corners of the lower bumper on the refresh car. Itā€™s too big an area without some design detail, and doesnā€™t flow parallel with the line of the upper grille intake shape. Roush must agree with me as their new face design tries to minimise this area with a black plastic intake insert.

Anyway, just my thoughts in counter balance on the lights issue.
I for one Love the GT500 look and think they did a great job.

Last edited:

AV8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AV8R
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Darkane, I think you could well be right. In that case, I wonder why itā€™s taken so long to release the car?
I read a rumour about third party parts quality issue somewhere, but Iā€™d be curious to know why itā€™s taken them so long.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Donā€™t over think the light issue.

They didnā€™t want to re engineer the GOR and crash the car again.
...and it looks better.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Be honest guys. The old style is a better, meaner looking design than the ā€˜derpyā€™ new style.
You just donā€™t like them because theyā€™re old. (And itā€™s just the shape we are talking about here, as Ford Iā€™m sure, will use the latest technology
If you'd have said "in my opinion" I'd have respected your post. But honestly I prefer the new style light. To me they look meaner than the '15-'17.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Tsk.....another one forgetting "in my opinion" :wink:
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong :giggle:

To be fair there's far more wrong with the fascia design of the '18 than the headlight.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Ford said in January 2018 (NAIAS) that the car would be revealed in 2019.
So why then would they reveal it to the dealers, leading to these abhorrent "leaked" photos? I mean, a lot of real buyers (including myself) are already looking to pull the triggers on other cars based on this...

Is that supposed to be okay?
Automakers typically have a few dealer meetings a year to show the dealers what's coming before introducing it to the general public. Showing the GT500 at the most recent dealers meeting in October just means they are ready to show the car either at LA in November, or more likely at Detroit in January. Especially since they said in January 2018 they would provide more details in 2019. NAIAS is as early in 2019 as you can get. The real question, in my opinion, is why bother to say in January 2018 "we'll show you something in 2019"? My thinking, as I've said before, is Ford wanted to deflect some of the attention Corvette was getting for the ZR1 so they had to say something. That and the GT500 was really s'posed to come out by January 2018, but got hit with delays.

AV8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AV8R
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Oh donā€™t get me wrong, the new lights have cool elements (in my opinion), its just theyā€™re not (in my opinion), homogeneous to the cars lines (in my opinion).:wink:

Iā€™d be interested to talk to the designer to find out the reason for the new shape. If it was a nod to the past, or something regulatory that necessitated the shape they are.

Itā€™s all subjective anyway, and Ford will do what they do. And while I much prefer the old style for the look of the car, Iā€™ll probably buy a GT500 whatever lights they end up putting on it!

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Ford will hold off on "revealing" the car until NAIAS to try and curb some of the enthusiasm of GM revealing the C8/Mid engine. It's all a hype war, and if they don't wait to release it then, NAIAS will be all about Chevy
Sponsored