Kooks vs JBA Long Tubes

Shnuggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
So I'm looking into headers and I can't decide between Kooks Long Tubes 1-7/8 with 3" collectors or JBA Long Tube Headers.
My current exhaust setup is, no cats, 3 inch piping up from the factory 2.5 inch, Magnaflow 12867 Mufflers, no H pipe, no X pipe, no resonators.
I've done plenty of research on Kooks and everyone seems to love them, only problem is they're $1000 more expensive than the JBA Long Tubes

Headers in question are
Kooks: https://lmr.com/item/KOK-1151H410/20...aders-1151H410
JBA: https://www.lethalperformance.com/jb...m-ceramic.html
Sponsored

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
JBA doesnt sell a direct fit 3" mid pipe for there LTs. I have ordered the 11-14 H pipe version that I plan to adapt to this car. I have not received it yet so I dont know how much effort that will be.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
you get what you pay for. I looked into Kooks years ago. I was willing to pay for them if they were the better made product. "Brand 'B'" as I will refer to them showed me the Pypes LT's and while they looked equal to Kooks I later found they lacked the internal spike at the collector that improves flow and minimizes leaks in that area. They pushed the lesser expensive Pypes though I was willing to buy the higher priced Kooks. I gave in. Should have held my ground and spent the extra $500.

The Pypes LT's had a leak at the collector where the four tubes join and welded. They simply filled in the middle and then welded the collector to the four tubes. The fill spot leaked like a strainer. At idle it would blow out the flame on a lighter. Yeah that much exhaust gas escaping at that crappy weld plug spot (for no better term). A replacement header resolved the problem (went through three boxes and then pulled one off of a mock up engine in the sales showroom before they found one that you couldn't see daylight in) but the problem returned about 6 months later.

Point is, if you can't afford the better product, save some money and wait. You'll be better off 9 times out of 10. Look at what you are buying in person if you go cheap. Don't just take it for granted by talking to some internet sales rep in a chat room or on the phone before spending the money. You will be stuck with them. It's not like buying a coat that you don't like and can't take back. Once they are mounted they are yours short of warranty issues.

Kooks, Stainless Works are good products. Other Pypes products may be fine. But I would not purchase their LT's again. Too many alternatives with better track records out there for just a little bit more. Stainless Works sells their product under a less extensive warranty called POWER WORKS. This may be an alternative to look into. Terry at TEAMBEEFCAKERACING could answer questions for you on verifying this. Otherwise I would not consider anything more 'economical".

Some people may be okay with an exhaust leak like that as long as it is not effecting the drive ability of the car. IF its a race car (never street driven) there may be a benefit to going cheaper. But otherwise I do not see the benefit.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just for a quick follow up on this. I've got my set installed and the car running again. My set of JBA headers DO have the firecone in the collector and I cannot see any holes or find any leaks with the car running. That's not an guarantee to anyone but it's much better than the other experience here.

The install seemed to go normally. The driver side was super easy as always. The passengers side was a PITA as always. They do have plenty of clearance on the passengers side and I did not have to move any other brackets or parts along the frame rail. The drivers side looked to clear the steering shaft with the motor in the stock location but lowered it just touches a bit so I made a bit more clearance there but I can't blame JBA for that.

I am very surprised at how relatively quiet these are with the stock cat back. I've only driven a short bit but at idle and cruise they are very nice without much added noise but when you put your foot in it you can definitely hear the difference.

Sponsored