Sponsored

Knob Thread Interference Fit ?

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
I ordered and received an FR3Z 7213 D carbon fiber shift knob for an upcoming 2023 Mustang GT 6-speed. Looking down the ‘throat’ the threads do not appear to be uniform. At first glance they appear to be abused and torn. Upon closer inspection I suspect that they are specifically made this way to provide an interference fit ‘locking’ the knob onto the threaded shaft. Unfortunately I do not yet have the vehicle to test it out and would not want a return window to close. I figured my best bet would be to begin asking on this site. Can anybody clarify this for me?? Thank you, I would appreciate any responses.

51CA4423-1268-4819-9632-E42EEF21EF04.jpeg

2E51CA24-0705-45CA-805C-56675E579D80.jpeg
Sponsored

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
My shelby went on easily and I had to use loctite. You will have to set it up so the reverse lockout collar works correctly. I Can’t really tell from your photo if the threads are messed up or not. Call whoever you bought it from and ask them about it. That way if it’s messed up you have a record of calling. From what I can see in your picture the threads look used.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I agree, the threads, as well as the perimeter look worn. I wonder if it’s possibly a return item that was resold?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The OP's biggest hurdle will be removing the OME knob. There is at least 1 thread talking about that. As in destroying the OME knob in the process.

Threads do look like there are 2 different sizes. An attempt to make a one size fits all knob.

Here is a noval idea, contact the store you purchased it from?

OP
OP
Bullittproof

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the responses…I started here because it took seven weeks to get this far with the parts dealer, they first filled the order with an incorrect part number/incorrect knob (I have had good luck with previous purchases with thus midwest Ford dealer, they are ‘OK’…the thread does appear to be a step thread, as far as appearing to be a used part I see that appearance in the photos, not so much looking at the actual knob. I cut the single layer of tape on the box, now the question, does Ford tape the boxes? I included two photos, one of the Ford label, it shows made in China, the other shows a ling part number label within the knob skirt, this is not a Ford number…I suppose this could be a counterfeit part.

image.jpg

DA92FF44-AD67-49C1-95A5-46720460CCB8.jpeg

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; After looking at the photos I concur with the opinions the knob has been screwed onto something. Not necessarily cross threaded. Possibly someone attempted to screw it onto something with a close thread pattern but not just right. Reasoning being the shiny first few threads only. I get this sometimes when searching thru my boxes of old bolts and nuts. A nut will go onto a close bolt only a few threads and then bind.

Beyond the shiny threads appears to be a stop layer about eight threads in.

My take is you are on the cusp of a decision. Either send the knob back and have the money or keep it and if it does not fit properly you have a nice but useless knob in a box somewhere. I guess it could be made( forced) to fit but odds are it will loosen up at some point and then you will have a shift lever with boogered up threads.
I would probably send it back if a test fit is not going to happen in time.
Good luck

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
100% looks like a thread that has a Helicoil installed in it.

The deformed threads (further in that look flat-ish) are standard for a locking type of Helicoil insert.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
100% looks like a thread that has a Helicoil installed in it.

The deformed threads (further in that look flat-ish) are standard for a locking type of Helicoil insert.
Here’s the pic from Amazon. Looks a lot cleaner.

57B46842-8338-48B5-9D1D-EB63147F46FD.jpeg

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here’s the pic from Amazon. Looks a lot cleaner.

57B46842-8338-48B5-9D1D-EB63147F46FD.jpeg
Not arguing that the first couple threads look a little messed up. However, if the proper mating thread is the Helicoil, those will just be clearance anyway. I was just commenting on the deformed thread being something normal for a Helicoil. Those first threads are in the parent material and they are definitely scraped up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bullittproof

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to everybody, I am going to return it and regroup. It definitely appears to have dual-sized threads, is that what is being referred-to as a Heli-Coil insert being installed? I know what a Heli-Coil insert is, it just was not my first thought looking into the threaded hole.
Any comments on that label inside the knob skirt with the very long number? Does that label look like it came from Ford?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks to everybody, I am going to return it and regroup. It definitely appears to have dual-sized threads, is that what is being referred-to as a Heli-Coil insert being installed? I know what a Heli-Coil insert is, it just was not my first thought looking into the threaded hole.
Any comments on that label inside the knob skirt with the very long number? Does that label look like it came from Ford?
Yes it does. It’s a part #. See the pic on the Amazon site.

7F29EDD2-1F16-4F83-A925-A7840B9A68B2.jpeg

OP
OP
Bullittproof

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Bikeman, I have that but still was not sure of the source.
Sponsored