Kid street racing runs over women and child

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
If this logic is true, what about the countless tragic freeway accidents caused by old people or women putting on their makeup? Should women get their own track too?
There are many reasons why cars crash, but the vast majority are down to a lack of awareness and concentration. Old ladies doing their makeup and testosterone fuelled teenagers both fall into the same category when it comes down to it. having said that racing on the road tends to be more for the younger generation where brain power and talent are exceeded by vitesse !
Sponsored

larf37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Parents could set up a mykey and limit the speed and use the other features mykey provides but most probably don’t even know about that option.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Many countries have another thing, motorcycles, they aren’t even allowed to operate a full sized 600 bike or higher on some kind of license, I don’t know requirements but something like years of experience before they can operate a normal bike

or the bike is limited, like literally ecu locked to half power til they get that license.

I could see something like that one day, not anytime soon but 50 years from now with electronic cars, because it’s a computer and can be easily governed

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I've never quite got that approach. Even small weedy cars are plenty fast enough to kill people when they hit them. The bit that needs educating is the drivers brain - if you can find it and it isn't being turned to mush by testosterone (or to be inclusive, oestrogen)

Not sure about in the US but our kids all get some pretty harrowing road accident stuff shown to them at school before they get the chance to learn to drive. It doesn't stop all the morons from killing people, but it certainly had an effect on my two boys.
To be honest, I don’t even remember getting a single class on driving. At 16 in key largo Florida, I pulled up with car they got in it, zero inspections didn’t look at anything. I didn’t even leave the parking lot I just drove around for maybe 3 minutes in empty parking lot ane told me to park, I just pulled through several spots and parked in a empty spot

here you go. Congrats.

to be fair half the drivers in key largo are Hispanic and don’t have licenses or speak English. So they don’t really care.
Lol I was licensed after that

My sister in Ohio had to take like a month long drivers education course and pay 500 bucks for it, to get her license. Which you can fail

but if you wait til 18 you don’t have to do anything but literally go into a place and take acomputer test

in Florida I didn’t do any written or computer test, just drove around parking lot couple minutes and boom!

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Many countries have another thing, motorcycles, they aren’t even allowed to operate a full sized 600 bike or higher on some kind of license, I don’t know requirements but something like years of experience before they can operate a normal bike

or the bike is limited, like literally ecu locked to half power til they get that license.

I could see something like that one day, not anytime soon but 50 years from now with electronic cars, because it’s a computer and can be easily governed
I have a friend in the Netherlands and it took a few thousand dollars and an extensive road test of many hours being followed by an instructor to get a motorcycle license.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I live about 20 minutes from where this happened, remember when it was all over the news back in 2018. Here is my take on the situation. The kid made a very bad decision, which ultimately cost the life of a innocent women and her baby. He also ruined his life and will spend a significant portion of it in prison.

This happened on Bayshore Blvd. a extremely popular place for people to walk, jog, ride their bikes or tourist simple site seeing. It's also a very rich area of town, with multi-million dollar houses right on this street and the surrounding areas. Local celebrities and high profile business men and women live here. It provides a beautiful view of the bay, because of this, it attracts many people who don't live in the neighborhood. The annual Gasparilla day parade is here where they shut down the streets and thousands if not 100,000 people attend.

I know we all like to have some fun with our cars, but his choice of location was terrible, selfish and tragic.

Below is a screenshot of the area this happened in.
1617990240345.png

He could not have picked a worse place in Tampa Bay to race his friend other than maybe in front of a police station. While I certainly feel bad for the kid, he has no one to blame but himself and I feel even worse for the victim's surviving family.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I think some people are looking way too much into this. This incident is absolutely horrible and I truly feel for the family that lost their two loved ones. We also just have young stupid driver issues that have always been around this really just comes down to I suppose parenting if you know your kid is a bit wild getting him a fast car will not be a smart idea. At the end of the day you should know your kid.

I also can't stand people chastising the kid when they too themselves knowing race in a crowded setting before. Admit it some of you have done it. I also don't get the people saying I always drive responsibly as if they are driving a Toyota Prius if that is the case you got the wrong car. That also doesn't give you the license to be a complete jack ass either. This kid was young and stupid trying to show off in a heavily populated area and is going to spend a good portion of his life in prison because of it. I am not defending him, I just don't like people thinking their better than him when a lot of us have done dumb things in the past luckily not to his level.

It's the car's fault and not the kid's. Stricter background checks should be had for all new car owners. All current car owners should be forced to turn in their old cars. Gas prices should be raised to discourage people from driving these deadly machines.
I agree I mean we should take it a step further if we just banned all cars this never would of happened, it worked for the War on Drugs and Prohibition it should work on cars right?!!?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Parents could set up a mykey and limit the speed and use the other features mykey provides but most probably don’t even know about that option.
1Ys8xcG.gif
This
1Ys8xcG.gif

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I've never quite got that approach. Even small weedy cars are plenty fast enough to kill people when they hit them. The bit that needs educating is the drivers brain - if you can find it and it isn't being turned to mush by testosterone (or to be inclusive, oestrogen)

Not sure about in the US but our kids all get some pretty harrowing road accident stuff shown to them at school before they get the chance to learn to drive. It doesn't stop all the morons from killing people, but it certainly had an effect on my two boys.
SOme schools still show that stuff, but in one of my schools (private) it wasn't shown at all, in another (public) it was only shown as part of health class. That was also 20yrs ago. I'm not sure if they still show them now.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
But most 18 year olds that WANT to street race, aren't going to be looking to do it in a mini-van. They're gonna want something like a Mustang, Camaro, etc. Mini vans don't poke and prod you to go fast, and aren't purchased for/by 18 year olds to go street racing with.
I don’t know about that.

A750590B-2BCB-47BB-B69B-F9F2DBDB64DD.png

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Screw around racing on the public roads like an idiot and kill someone ... you will get what you deserve just like in this case. Think before you get caught up in street racing.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
If this logic is true, what about the countless tragic freeway accidents caused by old people or women putting on their makeup? Should women get their own track too?
What about police? Do police cars have too much power? Is it that the police simply don't have the right training or experience to handle the car they are given?

A few years ago, there were two police officers who thought they were professional stunt drivers, driving their cars on a closed Hollywood set.

Both were approaching the same intersection, and both assumed they had the full right-of-way.

Bang, bang. Their cars ricocheted off each other.

One of the police cars hit a young boy standing on the sidewalk with this family. The young boy's body was ripped in half, and he died a short time later in his parents arms.

So, when you talk about bad drivers, please make sure you always include the police too.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
An issue, least in my area is that tracks are closing and even then they are all least an hr away which many people dont have the time to make it a day trip. I feel like more available/convienient tracks would cut down on street racing, but instead they are closing.
I absolutely agree with this.

I think there is a parallel to skateboard/BMX parks. Growing up in the 80s I remember when skateboard parks were _not_ a thing. Instead: the kids were skateboarding all over public areas. It was seen as a huge nuisance (not the least because it would degrade public property: benches, handrails, concrete, etc.). Then - in the 90s there was a push to create public spaces where people could do those activities: "skate parks".

Car racing has been increasing over time (spurred on by the growth of tuner culture). Municipalities need to decide that this is a public need in the same way that skate parks are. Areas need to be created where people can drive their cars fast, and show them off, with a low barrier.

For instance: something like the Nurburgring needs to exist (in much smaller form) in many places. Just a road that allows you to have elevated speed and there won't be any oncoming traffic or pedestrians.

In my particular area I am 4 hours from any track. There is a drag-strip here - but that's it. The track that is 4 hours away is still expensive ($500-$800 for attending a day-long event).

However, there are a TON of roads with absolutely nothing on them... except cops waiting to snag people. Why not have a day once a month or something where they shut down a few roads and let us go a bit faster on them?

Basically: instead of just trying to make everything illegal... we should be working to allow it to be done safely.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
A few years ago, there were two police officers who thought they were professional stunt drivers, driving their cars on a closed Hollywood set.

Both were approaching the same intersection, and both assumed they had the full right-of-way.

Bang, bang. Their cars ricocheted off each other.

One of the police cars hit a young boy standing on the sidewalk with this family. The young boy's body was ripped in half, and he died a short time later in his parents arms.

So, when you talk about bad drivers, please make sure you always include the police too.
Why were people allowed to stand along the road on a closed set where cars were being driven at high speeds? Who was in charge of the "closed set"?
Sponsored