Sponsored

K&N cold air intake for 2019 gt, is it worth it?

Murge75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
New to s550 curious if its worth the money?
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Not really, just grab an aftermarket filter, remove the carbon panel in the OEM airbox - the factory setup flows a ton, and does a pretty good job of isolating the intake air to keep IATs down.

OP
OP
Murge75

Murge75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
Not really, just grab an aftermarket filter, remove the carbon panel in the OEM airbox - the factory setup flows a ton, and does a pretty good job of isolating the intake air to keep IATs down.
Ok, thanks.

OP
OP
Murge75

Murge75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
How do you remove the carbon filter?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
How do you remove the carbon filter?
Inside the airbox (where you'd swap the OEM paper air filter), there's a plastic panel with a filter, it kind of just snaps out, when you see it, it'll be pretty obvious.

If you're OK with the warranty implications, do a filter/mod, maybe a resonator replacement (Steeda H-pipe, etc.) and a 93 octane tune, even better a Flex or E85 tune, that's a solid 510-520HP for under $1K.

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Cold air intakes are only good if you tune. I have a non tuned Roush intake with cover, but I only did it for looks and knew that when doing it. I do see slightly better throttle response and the car does breath better, but during the hot Florida days the heat soaking when stuck in traffic can get up there. Zero benefit for hp, torque or mpg. I originally tried a K&N drop in, but actually saw more power loss so at the time I went back to stock.

OP
OP
Murge75

Murge75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
Cold air intakes are only good if you tune. I have a non tuned Roush intake with cover, but I only did it for looks and knew that when doing it. I do see slightly better throttle response and the car does breath better, but during the hot Florida days the heat soaking when stuck in traffic can get up there. Zero benefit for hp, torque or mpg. I originally tried a K&N drop in, but actually saw more power loss so at the time I went back to stock.
Thanks. Maybe I'll just leave it and put the money towards exhaust. Do I need a tune with a catback system?

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I'd say it's worth it because it's reusable with simple wash.

Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Loss with a K&N? That's strange....:crazy:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....remove the carbon panel in the OEM airbox......
What does that carbon panel do? Any chance it's important for the health of the engine?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What does that carbon panel do? Any chance it's important for the health of the engine?
It's there to trap oil/carbon fumes from the intake manifold that escapes out the intake tube when the engine is shut off. It's mainly an emissions thing, nothing to do with the engine itself.
Sponsored