Advertisement

Just saw they sold more Teslas last year then manual cars in the US

Briebee72

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Sad. was watchin TV and saw a thing on manual cars. less then 2% they said about 1.5 off all cars sold in the US were manual. That in 2019 there were more Tesla sold then manual cars from all manufactures combined. Just about everyone but the muscle cars has dropped manual trans and even then the gt500 is auto only and the two versions that were manual only bullet and gt350 have been dropped. Honda, who is probably one of the biggest manual car sellers who not a week a go said they had zero plans to drop any manual car, turned around and dropped the civic si and removed all manuals from the accord. Corvette dropped manuals this year and so on...

Comes a point where manuals are not worth the manufacturing for the low sales numbers. I know the purest say wont happen in my life time and all that. but I think the end is closer then you think for the manual. Its a shame I have always said every persons first car should be a manual. would be less cell phone and distracted use as all your hands and feet are busy.

Most all 2021 cars that were strictly manual before are gonna be offered with autos now. I dont think there are an manual only cars left in the US are there? And electrics for all purposes dont even have a transmission not like we know.

Heck Im even a traitor I drove manuals for 30 years and my last car is a auto... and honestly cant say Ill go back :( these new autos are quite good.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
but the feel. I cant give up the rowing

[email protected]

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Well, we must speak with our dollars: buying used vs buying a new auto. People have decided that the infotainment > driving experience. Also, we Americans are lazy in general and the idea of doing more in a car is looked at negatively. People just want an easy button for everything.

Briebee72

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
but the feel. I cant give up the rowing
Yeah I do miss it some days. But seems its coming whether we like it or not. Soon only way to row will to be the owner of a older car.

FreePenguin

Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
I dont race anyone I know people will beat me in slower cars with automatics, I just drive. I get it into gear and wot onto highway. just driving a manual feels cool. But I gotta have a short shifter.

IrishStallion

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
You cannot replace the fun factor in a 3 pedal car. Being able to control the power engagement with your left foot can never be replicated in an auto. That is what it is. The fastest car is not always the most enjoyable either.

I owned a 2016 two door GTI with a manual. Absolute hoot to drive through the twisties. Was it the fastest, loudest, most exotic,....no.

Advertisement

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
My little Chevy Cobalt work car is a manual that I drive 350-500 miles a week to our clients job sites, and my Mustang is a manual. It never gets old to me. Unfortunately AARP thinks I'm getting old because they've been reaching out to me.

Reactions: Ebm

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Supercars have very little relevance to the conversation.
All cars are relevant regardless of price. Your point was that manuals are dying because Americans are lazy. My point was that manuals are dying because in the world of performance cars, performance is king. There is nothing wrong with wanting the third pedal. But blaming laziness as a reason for their disappearance is a weak argument.

The whole discussion is superfluous as manuals, like it or not, are dying. There will be a few holdouts, hopefully till the end of the ICE. Until then, enjoy them. Just do not expect to see anymore of them.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Supercars have very little relevance to the conversation.
Except when all the technology from supercars becomes mainstream. Little things like 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS, DCT's, mid-engine platforms, etc.

Frank

Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Kona Blue
I'm still trying figure out this fun factor in having a manual trans as if its not fun in a built automatic not to mention the 10R80. I like a stick just built a T5 for my sons fox last week but every time I get in my 10 speed all I do is smile and trust me I can stick. But to each his own and I hear all the automatic is only good for drag racing, really? When we both meet on the street and every time the manual pull that stick and that fluid pushes my next shift lets see who is having fun.
I am old school only had manuals and learned to drive with a three on the tree and farm equipment but things change and we have to change with them on just keep living in the past. Automatics are here to stay

[email protected]

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
All cars are relevant regardless of price. Your point was that manuals are dying because Americans are lazy. My point was that manuals are dying because in the world of performance cars, performance is king. There is nothing wrong with wanting the third pedal. But blaming laziness as a reason for their disappearance is a weak argument.

The whole discussion is superfluous as manuals, like it or not, are dying. There will be a few holdouts, hopefully till the end of the ICE. Until then, enjoy them. Just do not expect to see anymore of them.
Explain to me why the take rate for manuals in Europe is dramatically higher then?

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Explain to me why the take rate for manuals in Europe is dramatically higher then?
Because car ownership in Europe is generally much more expensive than in the US. Many Europeans opt for the manual because the optioned automatic car is simply too expensive. Even with the better fuel economy, the price jump isn't worth it.

Advertisement

Advertisement

46 - Roush Performance - 1
Advertisement