Sponsored

Just saw they sold more Teslas last year then manual cars in the US

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Sad. was watchin TV and saw a thing on manual cars. less then 2% they said about 1.5 off all cars sold in the US were manual. That in 2019 there were more Tesla sold then manual cars from all manufactures combined. Just about everyone but the muscle cars has dropped manual trans and even then the gt500 is auto only and the two versions that were manual only bullet and gt350 have been dropped. Honda, who is probably one of the biggest manual car sellers who not a week a go said they had zero plans to drop any manual car, turned around and dropped the civic si and removed all manuals from the accord. Corvette dropped manuals this year and so on...

Comes a point where manuals are not worth the manufacturing for the low sales numbers. I know the purest say wont happen in my life time and all that. but I think the end is closer then you think for the manual. Its a shame I have always said every persons first car should be a manual. would be less cell phone and distracted use as all your hands and feet are busy.

Most all 2021 cars that were strictly manual before are gonna be offered with autos now. I dont think there are an manual only cars left in the US are there? And electrics for all purposes dont even have a transmission not like we know.

Heck Im even a traitor I drove manuals for 30 years and my last car is a auto... and honestly cant say Ill go back :( these new autos are quite good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
but the feel. I cant give up the rowing

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
but the feel. I cant give up the rowing
Yeah I do miss it some days. But seems its coming whether we like it or not. Soon only way to row will to be the owner of a older car.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I dont race anyone I know people will beat me in slower cars with automatics, I just drive. I get it into gear and wot onto highway. just driving a manual feels cool. But I gotta have a short shifter.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
You cannot replace the fun factor in a 3 pedal car. Being able to control the power engagement with your left foot can never be replicated in an auto. That is what it is. The fastest car is not always the most enjoyable either.

I owned a 2016 two door GTI with a manual. Absolute hoot to drive through the twisties. Was it the fastest, loudest, most exotic,....no.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
My little Chevy Cobalt work car is a manual that I drive 350-500 miles a week to our clients job sites, and my Mustang is a manual. It never gets old to me. Unfortunately AARP thinks I'm getting old because they've been reaching out to me.

Reactions: Ebm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Supercars have very little relevance to the conversation.
All cars are relevant regardless of price. Your point was that manuals are dying because Americans are lazy. My point was that manuals are dying because in the world of performance cars, performance is king. There is nothing wrong with wanting the third pedal. But blaming laziness as a reason for their disappearance is a weak argument.

The whole discussion is superfluous as manuals, like it or not, are dying. There will be a few holdouts, hopefully till the end of the ICE. Until then, enjoy them. Just do not expect to see anymore of them.

Frank

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Kona Blue A10
I'm still trying figure out this fun factor in having a manual trans as if its not fun in a built automatic not to mention the 10R80. I like a stick just built a T5 for my sons fox last week but every time I get in my 10 speed all I do is smile and trust me I can stick. But to each his own and I hear all the automatic is only good for drag racing, really? When we both meet on the street and every time the manual pull that stick and that fluid pushes my next shift lets see who is having fun.
I am old school only had manuals and learned to drive with a three on the tree and farm equipment but things change and we have to change with them on just keep living in the past. Automatics are here to stay

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Well I feel cooler driving a manual. Kinda prideful

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Because car ownership in Europe is generally much more expensive than in the US. Many Europeans opt for the manual because the optioned automatic car is simply too expensive. Even with the better fuel economy, the price jump isn't worth it.
Europe is changing as well. More and more people buying automatics. Its only a matter of time I am afraid.

This article is from 2017, but I suspect its much worse now for the manual.
https://carbuzz.com/news/even-in-the-uk-the-manual-transmission-is-on-the-verge-of-dying

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Sad state of things. Each year there are less and less cars available with manual.
We're down to a small handful of cars still available new with manual in the U.S. And half of those are probably undesirable or econoboxes.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
I agree I hate to see the manual go but think it is inevitable down the road. The Mustang is one of the few that still hangs in there with the manual. Porsche, Honda Type R a few Subarus, Miata and maybe a handful of others are also giving us a manual. With the current state of young drivers who have never driven a stick and autos being less work in traffic, faster and more dependable then in the past and think it is a matter of time. When I looked for my Porsche I looked for a manual but they are less common especially when looking for specifics on the build so took the PDK which is a VERY good dual clutch but still would rather row my own and I am in my early 70's.. If I do go back to the Mustang will look for a manual. Would rather have the Tremac but it is what it is.. In essence, I agree that the manuals are far more engaging and fun although slower..

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Hopefully the S650 will have a manual option - Every Mustang I've ever owned was/is a manual.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The driver of a car with a manual transmission is the biggest problem with meeting the latest fuel economy, emissions, carbon footprint and reliability standards. Manual transmissions may continue in some form, but they will be little more than automatics with an extra pedal. The latest Porsche manual transmission is a good example: it won't allow you to shift into an inappropriate gear. If you try, it locks you out until it's safe. They also have the technology to aid you in when to shift on the track, using GPS, though I don't think it has been implemented in production, yet.
Sponsored