FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The driver of a car with a manual transmission is the biggest problem with meeting the latest fuel economy, emissions, carbon footprint and reliability standards. Manual transmissions may continue in some form, but they will be little more than automatics with an extra pedal. The latest Porsche manual transmission is a good example: it won't allow you to shift into an inappropriate gear. If you try, it locks you out until it's safe. They also have the technology to aid you in when to shift on the track, using GPS, though I don't think it has been implemented in production, yet.
Corvettes had or has something like that. My friends didn’t let him drive in certain gears at certain speeds he had to do some mod or bypass to let him do it

Way I read up about it was skip shifting or some gear lockout to help the vet meet its epa numbers
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Corvettes had or has something like that. My friends didn’t let him drive in certain gears at certain speeds he had to do some mod or bypass to let him do it

Way I read up about it was skip shifting or some gear lockout to help the vet meet its epa numbers
Yep, skip shift, it locked out the shifter gate, so you were forced into non-sequential gear, it's a fucking abomination. The upside, is adding a little $20 module in the wiring harness, right at a connector (under the car), or a DIY since it's just a resistor that makes the car think it's still connected.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, skip shift, it locked out the shifter gate, so you were forced into non-sequential gear, it's a fucking abomination. The upside, is adding a little $20 module in the wiring harness, right at a connector (under the car), or a DIY since it's just a resistor that makes the car think it's still connected.

Yep his vet thouth is absolutely terrifying. He has full mod, like 2010, all black chrome wheels with like 20k in mods

Breaks traction on highway, no thx Jeffe

I like my eco because I can stomp it everywhere and honestly never gotta worry about it going off road and losing full on traction.

I keep traction control on

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I said Id never buy another manual car, but with the combination of a house move closer to work (3miles each way) and access to my partners Jeep Grand Cherokee for long journeys or runs in traffic, I bit the Bullitt on a manual again

The Bullitt now is an occasional use car, she gets cleaned more often than she get driven, but it feels like a sense of occasion when I dig her out off the garage. I enjoy rowing the gears even with the MT82!!

However if circumstances changed and this became a daily commuter car in Austin traffic, I'd be back to an auto in a heartbeat.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I love how auto guys forget that the fastest tranny is... a manual sequential shifter. YES a manual. It is faster than a DCT. It is just not practical for street use.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a27127448/sequential-vs-dual-clutch-transmission/

Also, that is why the manual PP2 beat the auto PP1 in this article
https://www.cars.com/articles/mustang-vs-mustang-fords-performance-packages-tested-1420700897178/

There is more to speed and performance than the transmission.

So if you want the fastest car, why isn't manufacturers putting sequential's in for all the guys that want that last 1/10th of a second? I think they could come up with a synchro-shift sequential that takes the best of both worlds.

Life is often about more than a 1/4 mile. If that is all you like, enjoy the tools you use to go fast. To me, it takes real skill to drive around a track with a manual and I feel driving on a track requires more skill than at the drag strip, IMHO. Yours may vary and I respect that. I do know many drag guys like the consistency of an auto which makes perfect reason to use it. My cousin built a sub 10 second drag car with an auto back in the 90's and gave up some speed for consistency. His times were tight. If he went up against a faster manual, the manual needed to be on his A game or he could lose to him if the manual was not perfect.

Autos do not have the feel of a manual. I HATED the A10 when I rented one for over a month. I felt dead. I almost passed out from boredom. I must have been accelerating in the sweet spot where it could not figure out what to do. It use to hunt for gear constantly.

I think the reason we are losing variety in cars is because everyone feel bored driving and every car feels the same so why buy a sports car or anything other than a vehicle that moves a lot of air space. Manuals make a car more alive than an auto. Sure, you get the thrill of speed from an auto but you get that too in a manual. As for feeling, you get more engagement in a manual and that makes a car feel different.

As for traction, manuals have traction control too and will do the same.

A manual is a way of life. If you hate traffic, you will hate it in an auto , maybe a little less, than a manual but you will still hate it. Me, I just get behind a tractor trailer leave plenty of space and let him smooth out the shifts. If everyone would just calm down, stay in lane and stop jack rabbiting every time the guy in front of you moves up a smidge, it would be better. No one is going anywhere fast so why do you have to jump hard and brake to a stop. Everyone needs to learn to drive so that we smooth out traffic.

A auto is like training wheels especially when you need traction control to keep the car on the road. This is further proof that you did not learn to use your right foot nor your left. People who need nannies are the perfect fit for self driving cars. How many take a new car to a parking lot or open space to see how a car handles when it looses traction? I would not be surprised more manual guys do that auto. That would be my guess. It is not about the fun but about learning the car. I am sure in performance cars it is probably closer to even but when you look at all cars, manual guys probably do it more.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Umm, a PP2 beat a PP1 __on__track__ with a much more aggressive wheel/tire setup, dialed up suspension, etc., for straight line, where mostly shifting matters, the article clearly indicated this:

Despite having the same engine, the difference in transmission showed during acceleration testing, where the manual was considerably slower. We’ve run as fast as 11.9 seconds in this exact car in the quarter-mile, but times were two to three tenths slower on this hotter, humid test day (Cars.com doesn’t apply weather correction factors to our test results). The 10-speed and Drag Mode are a match made in heaven (or Dearborn), with short gearing and tires that have enough grip to handle aggressive launches. The manual was more difficult to drive, and Mother Nature (who must be a Chevrolet Camaro fan), drenched the track before we could really dial in the manual Mustang’s launches. I predict, however, that even in perfect conditions, the six-speed manual isn’t coming close to the 10-speed auto’s times at the drag strip.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
EV is the future.....I am planning to own Tesla in my driveway within the next 2-3 years
Its faster too,roll your eyes in the back of your head faster than my SC GT

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Umm, a PP2 beat a PP1 __on__track__ with a much more aggressive wheel/tire setup, dialed up suspension, etc., for straight line, where mostly shifting matters, the article clearly indicated this:
Proof that track driving is more than just a tranny. They also screwed the manual with the poor gearing.

Let's see how the Tremec changes things. Sure, it is probably not faster in a 1/4 mile but on a track I bet it will be.

Of course, you can always install a sequential and be faster.

Deleted member 35786

EV is the future.....I am planning to own Tesla in my driveway within the next 2-3 years
Which model. I see us owning one in the next 5yrs. Probably the model 3. Albeit the Y looks impressive, but the price.. yikes.

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual

Your electric car will have no soul

Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I have a manual because its more fun to drive, but mostly its about image. My group of car buddies are very much the manual or nothing crowd, and if I got the auto they would have had endless jokes about it. Even my wife thinks all cars should be manuals... she always teased me when I had a GTI with the DSG! And I have to admit, I take a certain pride in it when ppl ask me if I got the auto or manual, or when someone says they cant drive a stick.

But for performance? The auto is just faster. Not just in a straight line either. Take identical cars, prepped the same, put them on a track, auto will be faster. My GTI straight up surprised a LOT of other cars with how fast it could get around a track. Maybe we shouldn't call them automatics anymore... the new computer controlled transmissions are just really really good. If I just wanted ultimate performance, I would get an auto. If I daily drove it, I would probably get the auto too. Driving a stick all the time is tedious. But its fun when you really get to open it up and drive.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So they'll have no soul because they are automatics :crackup:
I will add that with each reduction in interaction with a car we reduce the soul of the car.

Remove wrenching, manuals, transmissions in general (electric), engine exhaust sounds and you have a soul-less car.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe you should buy a Model-T. I hear the crank start really connects you to the car. Sometimes the car even takes a piece of you with it :like:
I guess it proves you are soul - less too :)
Sponsored