ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Is there a point to over-spinning?
Not really, the compressor is pretty much done at that point.
You will run into a flow issue as you pass that RPM point.

AKA, you "might" move a little more air/boost, but it will be getting HOT, and the drive load on the belt will be going up. So even though you add say 2 extra psi... your HP increase at the wheels will become minimal.

Plus your really starting to tax the gearbox... high rpm, plus load = hard on bearings. So stay at the max rpm or below, and have a happy blower that lives a long life. :)

The internal step up is 4.10:1 on both the P1 and D1, so the reason you can run a larger pulley on the D1 to get the same boost as the P1 is because the D1 has a more aggressive impeller?
Yes, they spin the same rate, but the D1 can move more air for a given rpm. So sadly with the hoodline of the mustang, and the crazy high RPM the motors can handle, we can't slow the D1 down enough to make 9psi on the stock cars. :) Not really a "bad" problem to have, but just is what it is.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Yes, they spin the same rate, but the D1 can move more air for a given rpm. So sadly with the hoodline of the mustang, and the crazy high RPM the motors can handle, we can't slow the D1 down enough to make 9psi on the stock cars. :) Not really a "bad" problem to have, but just is what it is.
1. Curious, what does the hoodline have to do with being able to slow the d1 down?

2. Given you can't get the d1 to make 9psi on stock, wouldn't the d1 then be the better choice at elevation where one is losing psi - pulley for pulley - vs. sea level? As I think this implies that pulley for pulley, the d1 will make more boost?

JadedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Website
benkressler.clickfunnels.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Murdered out
1. Curious, what does the hoodline have to do with being able to slow the d1 down?

2. Given you can't get the d1 to make 9psi on stock, wouldn't the d1 then be the better choice at elevation where one is losing psi - pulley for pulley - vs. sea level? As I think this implies that pulley for pulley, the d1 will make more boost?
The pulley size comes into play. He said earlier the largest pulley for the D1 that will fit under the stock hood is 4.88. That will slow the D1 down to apx 10 to 11 PSI. To slow it down more you need a larger pulley.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

You took the questions right out of my mouth.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CPR Turbo GT, 1991 Cogged Novi 2000 GT
So lets talk F1's, particularly the F1D, Im looking at buying a 2014 with a Livernois sleeved motor and a F1D. Thanks for all the info, its much appreciated.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The pulley size comes into play. He said earlier the largest pulley for the D1 that will fit under the stock hood is 4.88. That will slow the D1 down to apx 10 to 11 PSI. To slow it down more you need a larger pulley.
I got that. But since, with a given pulley size, boost will decrease as DA increases - if one is in an environment where DA is always 2500+ (up to 6000), seems to me there would be an inherent advantage going with the D1 - as you would not have to pulley down as much (or maybe even at all) to hit a given, say 9, psi @3500ft.

Edit: misread your post. You were answering the hoodline question. thx.

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I got that. But since, with a given pulley size, boost will decrease as DA increases - if one is in an environment where DA is always 2500+ (up to 6000), seems to me there would be an inherent advantage going with the D1 - as you would not have to pulley down as much (or maybe even at all) to hit a given, say 9, psi @3500ft.
They can match whatever boost level you want to hit for any atmospheric conditions you want. Higher altitude worse DA smaller pulley. No matter which head unit. The only purpose for going with the D1 is to have a higher power ceiling with supporting mods.

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
They can match whatever boost level you want to hit for any atmospheric conditions you want. Higher altitude worse DA smaller pulley. No matter which head unit. The only purpose for going with the D1 is to have a higher power ceiling with supporting mods.
But when you are getting into very small pulleys with the p1 you might be fighting belt slip, especially on the 6 rib. My altitude is 5k ft and I need a 3.60 pulley to reach 9 lbs. if I wanted 13 lbs we are talking 3.20. Think that won't slip on a 6 rib? This is where the larger pulley on the d1 would be nice. For most people at or near stock boost the p1 is just fine.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Maybe. Though if, for sake of argument, the limit for the P1 at sea level is, say 625 whp, will you ever be able to hit that uncorrected at say 4000DA?

i.e. are there pullies that are smaller than whatever it takes to get the p1 to its limit at sea level? I suspect there must be, but does belt slip and starting to spin the p1 beyond its limits start to become an issue?

Still seems to me that if the D1 can make the same boost with a larger pulley, it would be the way to at elevation. Especially given it is only something like $230 upgrade at time of purchase.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Can always overdrive the balancer too to speed up the blower as needed. But I agree upfront it's a much cheaper upgrade to the d1, unless going with base procharger tune. If doin a tuner kit anyway with 3rd party tunes for sure d1.

Sponsored

Vanquisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
What's the slowest you can spin the F1A? Are you still looking at about 15lbs of boost on the biggest pulley?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
So lets talk F1's, particularly the F1D, Im looking at buying a 2014 with a Livernois sleeved motor and a F1D. Thanks for all the info, its much appreciated.
Did you have any questions that we can help you out with regarding your build?

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Correct :)

But when you are getting into very small pulleys with the p1 you might be fighting belt slip, especially on the 6 rib. My altitude is 5k ft and I need a 3.60 pulley to reach 9 lbs. if I wanted 13 lbs we are talking 3.20. Think that won't slip on a 6 rib? This is where the larger pulley on the d1 would be nice. For most people at or near stock boost the p1 is just fine.
There is no such thing as belt slip with the STG2, since it uses an 8 rib, and OUR tensioner.

The HO system relies on how hard that factory tensioner can grip, and the 6 rib. However that system was designed as the price point, entry level system, for guys that are not going to really turn it up much. (However obviously people have already gone 10's with it)

I have seen many many 700+ rwhp cars with HO systems and D1SC's,... but they make darn sure to run the tightest belt they can get on there.
However if thats a persons goal, the STG2 really is the best option.

Can always overdrive the balancer too to speed up the blower as needed. But I agree upfront it's a much cheaper upgrade to the d1, unless going with base procharger tune. If doin a tuner kit anyway with 3rd party tunes for sure d1.
Yes, for HO owners this is the best option for really turning the system up.
(Unless they swap to the STG2 bracket system)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CPR Turbo GT, 1991 Cogged Novi 2000 GT
I was looking at buying a car with what was mentioned above. I dont know much about the F1D, thats all. Or how much power the Livernois motor with darton sleeves can handle.

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was asking about this a few days ago. I'm about to order my Procharger Stage 2 and was going to get the D1SC, but I assumed I could get it down to 9psi. So am I better off going with the P1SC? 9psi is the safer and more common route right? I plan on doing remote running with Lund for this. Manual trans. Will this get me into 10s on 93 octane?
Sponsored