Sponsored

June 2017 Mustang Sales

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
"No, Mustang generally outsells Camaro. Nothing new there. Mustang sales are down 38% compared to only 6% for Camaro. I think that is the number that tells the story."

Real Einsteins over there.
Yep. I read that and literally burst out laughing. Another jewel they're hanging onto is the "Well, we have the rarer car".
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The '18 refresh, purely from an aesthetics view, is a total dud.

And I wonder what's up with the 35+ percent decline in sales. It's summatime.
Id say that number has to do with market saturation. There are only so many people in the market for a sports car to begin with. A lot of people that wanted an S550 have already went out and bought one. This car is just not going to sell 120k models a year forever.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I think the key to the Challenger's success is there's always something new. New trims seem to come every 6-12 months, new colors every year, several high performance versions, now they just announced the widebody hellcat last week. It doesn't matter that the platform is ancient because they keep giving people reasons to trade up or bring in new customers with great marketing like Fast 8. This is one thing I find annoying about the S550, there's been really nothing new for the past 3 years aside from 1 or 2 color changes. They have strong sales still so Ford doesn't care, but it's been 3 years and we're still waiting for the Cobra with no end in sight.
It's an all round better package. Base Challenger SXT comes with stuff like dual zone AC, touch screen for infotainment, hood struts instead of a prop rod, better seats and ergonomics, and a relatively cheap package like the Blacktop package includes 20in wheels, sirius xm, nice graphics, etc. Mustang has nothing like that. It is all or nothing with the premium package.
I also think that Mustang has been hurt by the bad publicity from the DL vibration fiasco and the AC evap fiasco. Once it became evident that Ford was not going to fix the vibration problem, it was time to shop another brand. The Challenger is a better DD for me. Way smoother and quieter than the Mustang. But size-wise, it is more along the lines of the old coupes like the T-Bird, Cutlass, Regal, etc. It's a big car.
It will be interesting to see what the July incentives are going to be. There are still a bunch of 16 Challengers on dealers lots around here.

Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I'm half temped to get a scat pack, there's quite a few around where I live and I'm always checking them out when I see one.
Buy a Scat Pack and a Mustang. Best of both worlds!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
You couldn't be any more wrong. I doubt many people are trading up their challengers for the same v8. Dodge is great at marketing ie demon and hellcat and rely on the emotion for people to buy a new challenger. Besides, the refresh will make the mustang new again anyways and if the refresh were any sooner, it would be pointless. Updating the s197 to s550 is such a drastic physical change that does not warrant needing an update within a few years.
I'm on one of the Challenger forums frequently (since I own a Scat Pack) and a lot of Challenger V6/5.7L owners post up about trading up for an SRT, Scat Pack, or Hellcat quite regularly.

The '18 Mustang refresh won't make the Mustang "new again," as you said. It's simply a mid-cycle refresh. I like the front end of the '18 much better than the '15-'17 and I always welcome a power bump, but I don't think this refresh will be enough to boost Mustang sales much (although I hope I'm wrong and sales pick up big time!).

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Very odd that the front page was not updated on Camaro6. Might be because of the 4th of July weekend? The past two months were done on the first and the third and it's already the fifth.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think Dodge is on to something. A 24 % sales increase for June is huge. Dodge just keeps on coming out with better and faster Challengers. Muscle cars are about quarter mile times. Dodge understands that.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think Dodge is on to something. A 24 % sales increase for June is huge. Dodge just keeps on coming out with better and faster Challengers. Muscle cars are about quarter mile times. Dodge understands that.
The S550 is not a muscle car, nor is the 6th gen camaro.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
FCA is doing their big incentives on Chally and Charger. Like $3500 cash on most of them.
And its still more expensive than a Mustang. Seeing how close Challenger is to taking over the #2 spot I can see Dodge dropping more money on the hood just to push it though.
Sponsored