Sponsored

JUNE 2016 SALES (Mustang vs. Camaro vs. Challenger) - Check First Post

winstoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon!
So I'm included in the June Mustang sales numbers and considered both the Mustang and Camaro. Figured I'd post my story since I looked at both cars. My story differs from most of you - I'm not a car guy. I'm just someone who wanted to buy a convertible. I had a low mile SUV to trade with about $14k of equity. I'm not a rich guy so my options when it came to a (new) convertible were the Mustang or Camaro. When I started my search I was interested in the V6 Mustang and the 1LT Camaro. Automatic. I should also mention I have no allegiance to GM or Ford - I've avoided American cars for years just because I've always been told that Japanese are superior.

I tested the Camaro first. Loved the look of it before I got in. Very sleek. Looks fast. Then I sat down. Hated it right away. Both the ergonomics and the visibility. No way I could deal with it as a daily driver. My other issue was the price. The entry convertible with minimal options started at $35k. But finding one without options wasn't easy in my area. I didn't get as far as trying to negotiate.

Next was the Mustang. Couldn't find a V6 convertible to test drive around here... only Ecoboost. So tested the eco. Loved it. I wasn't sitting on the floor anymore. I could see out the back with the top up. And it just felt right. But the eco was too expensive... sticker was $40k plus.

Did some research and realized that if I drove to Baltimore (only about 90 minutes from me) I could get a V6 for about $27k or a eco for about $32k. Once I realized how limited the features were on the V6 I decided on the eco. Was able to get the eco convertible with 401A package (a must for me - I wanted the BLIS) and nav for $32k after the $750 cash and $750 brochure money.

So I'm still not much of a car guy. But boy am I enjoying this Mustang.
Sponsored

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
I went back and read the whole string and I think, with incomplete numbers, and a flawed premise, we are entertaining each other to little other advantage. Which is the "better" car - we all have our opinions, but as numerous posts have said, better can be defined as most hp, best value, 1/4 mile time, availability of mods, and, of course, aesthetics. What is really "best" could be a Prious, or the new Ford Focus RS, or the new Porsche 991R.

What cannot be denied is that, for whatever reason, and not GT vs. SS1, but Mustang v. Camaro, Mustang has been outselling the competition 2 to 1. That is just a fact. As a poster pointed out, the market is speaking right now and it is doing so load and clear. The pre-refresh Mustang is outselling the updated Camaro.

If Camaro sweetens the deal, orders a different product mix that addresses the want better, or the Mustang refresh falls flat, that may change. But for now, don't presume to dictate to me what the better car is - I made my choice as you all have and I respect all of your choices. As to which is currently more popular, whether you think it should be the case or not, we need say nothing - the numbers speak for themselves.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
0% is the first incentive since the launch of the Gen6, and yes it has made a different that will show in July sales. How many times has Ford offered that in the Mustang ? Several times. Cash incentives on the Mustang several times and still going. Ford is trying less profit for vehicle and more volume, GM is going more profit and less volume.

I'm driving a scat pack today, I like those as well. I'd love to have all three cars, including that new ZL1!
So what you are saying is that GM is screwing the customer by making more profit for a parts bin car and you are proud of that? :lol: Are they at least providing a reach around for the extra profits?

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Winstoda, Congrats on your new convertible! They are indeed very nice and addicting to drive.

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
0% is the first incentive since the launch of the Gen6, and yes it has made a different that will show in July sales.
You and chevy better hope it makes a difference in July.

And it can’t be just a few hundred cars. They are already in the hole by THOUSANDS of cars with the 17’s on there way. They should be selling these cars that they just came out with in heaps but there not.

I would also point out to you while ford has run some incentives they also haven’t and it hasn’t killed sales by any stretch of the imagination. Even in months when they weren’t running incentives the Mustang was destroying the camaro in sales. You need to seriously face facts. It’s brand spanking new and it’s not selling well at all.
Ford is trying less profit for vehicle and more volume, GM is going more profit and less volume.
You know I keep reading and hearing this by various others (just not you) and I’m curious how we know this is the truth.

Even assuming it is there simply is not going to be that much of a difference in profit. No way no how. Common sense dictates this. There is no way when Ford starting building the mustang they said we need to sell over a 120,000 of these to make “X” profit. That’s crazy talk. Ford had no idea how many mustangs they would sell when it finally hit the streets so there is no way they were going to rely on “X” amount of sales to break even.
It is extremely unlikely that the margin is ~double the Mustang, or even close to double. It would need to be to offset the lack of sales success for GM, especially to recoup the costs for the only plant building on the Alpha platform. Flat Rock builds the Mustang, Fusion and MKZ, so they have a lot of sales to spread their costs over.
Correct.

No way no how ford went into building the mustang with a razor thin profit margin hoping to out sell the camaro 2 to 1 just to turn a profit. This notion is laughable. If one were to speculate, it’s very likely fords profit margin on the mustang is close to the amount of the camaro if not more.
Guess when your car lacks in performance numbers, you have to rely on sales figures.
Oooooo. Stop.

Stop being ridiculous. The S550 doesn’t lack in performance numbers. It doesn’t have some of the performance numbers the camaro does but that doesn’t mean it is lacking. A toyota prius is lacking in performance numbers. It also isn’t as expensive as the camaro is either.
I don't need an excuse, what will yours be if you're wrong?
He won’t be and you know it.

The mustang will again outsell the camaro in July and this time with incentives and all. I’m still under the impression a lot of people still don’t know that a new camaro exist or it doesn’t really excite them because it looks like the outgoing generation.

And again, this isn’t just me talking. As noted before I have read quite a few online car articles and when you go into the comments section were the REAL buying public is I have read time and again that they didn’t do enough to change the looks. Ipso facto they aren’t buying what chevy is selling. Now, make sure you come by here a month from now…

Sponsored

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
How soon till the July sales #'s thread? I know someone started this one about a week early.
LOL! I'll see if I can get it going at the one week out point again! July sales numbers will be released on Monday, August 1st.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Whos taking the over/under of 5500?

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
So what you are saying is that GM is screwing the customer by making more profit for a parts bin car and you are proud of that? :lol: Are they at least providing a reach around for the extra profits?
I guess that's the same thing Ford is doing with the GT350 and the dealers are doing with the ADM they are charging.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
You and chevy better hope it makes a difference in July.

And it can’t be just a few hundred cars. They are already in the hole by THOUSANDS of cars with the 17’s on there way. They should be selling these cars that they just came out with in heaps but there not.

I would also point out to you while ford has run some incentives they also haven’t and it hasn’t killed sales by any stretch of the imagination. Even in months when they weren’t running incentives the Mustang was destroying the camaro in sales. You need to seriously face facts. It’s brand spanking new and it’s not selling well at all.
You know I keep reading and hearing this by various others (just not you) and I’m curious how we know this is the truth.

Even assuming it is there simply is not going to be that much of a difference in profit. No way no how. Common sense dictates this. There is no way when Ford starting building the mustang they said we need to sell over a 120,000 of these to make “X” profit. That’s crazy talk. Ford had no idea how many mustangs they would sell when it finally hit the streets so there is no way they were going to rely on “X” amount of sales to break even.
Correct.

No way no how ford went into building the mustang with a razor thin profit margin hoping to out sell the camaro 2 to 1 just to turn a profit. This notion is laughable. If one were to speculate, it’s very likely fords profit margin on the mustang is close to the amount of the camaro if not more.
Oooooo. Stop.

Stop being ridiculous. The S550 doesn’t lack in performance numbers. It doesn’t have some of the performance numbers the camaro does but that doesn’t mean it is lacking. A toyota prius is lacking in performance numbers. It also isn’t as expensive as the camaro is either.
He won’t be and you know it.

The mustang will again outsell the camaro in July and this time with incentives and all. I’m still under the impression a lot of people still don’t know that a new camaro exist or it doesn’t really excite them because it looks like the outgoing generation.

And again, this isn’t just me talking. As noted before I have read quite a few online car articles and when you go into the comments section were the REAL buying public is I have read time and again that they didn’t do enough to change the looks. Ipso facto they aren’t buying what chevy is selling. Now, make sure you come by here a month from now…
You can check US automotive profit margins here:

http://kogodbusiness.com/reports/auto-index/

Both the Mustang and Camaro are at 6%. Although, since the Camaro's MSRP is higher, 6% of a higher number is obviously higher profit margins... but we are only talking a few hundred bucks.

So the Camaro isn't really making more profit per vehicle at all. It sells only 1/2 of what the Mustang does and the profits are just not there.

When does the SS get decent performance equipment? It's not blazing fast at the road course anymore. The tires are definitely holding it back.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I guess that's the same thing Ford is doing with the GT350 and the dealers are doing with the ADM they are charging.
One is the price from GM, the other is individual dealers gouging. Both of my local dealers have ADM's on their Camaros on top of being priced higher....

Keep trying slugger, eventually you'll connect with a valid point, just not yet.

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
One is the price from GM, the other is individual dealers gouging. Both of my local dealers have ADM's on their Camaros on top of being priced higher....

Keep trying slugger, eventually you'll connect with a valid point, just not yet.
No one I know paid MSRP for their Camaro slugger, but everyone paid MSRP plus ADM on the GT350

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Since someone already covered some points, please explain how the GT350 is a "parts bin" car. What parts does it share with other vehicles?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
No one I know paid MSRP for their Camaro slugger, but everyone paid MSRP plus ADM on the GT350
Don't even go there. Did you forget the MSRP and ADM on the Z28? Not to mention a lot of the Z28's didn't sell until they dropped $20k or more off the msrp. Do you remember the msrp on that pos was $75K lmao.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Damn. How many people do you know that bought a Camaro?...:lol: And of course people paid ADM for GT350, it's a much more exclusive car than a Camaro... Wait until the ZL1 comes out and talk about markup. And not everyone pays ADM on GT350. I personally know 2 people who own them and they had to travel to get theirs, but they did not pay any markup.
Sponsored