Sponsored

Jon Lund Jr. Discusses The Future of Tuning Modern Vehicles

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
What happens to cars with nothing left stock? I’m talking full blown, full engines, not a single piece of stock emissions exhaust or anything.

And a state goes full balls regulation?
Just pure speculation of course. It could become as bad as impounding of said cars by the state. Hell, California already is doing similar to my knowledge. Mind you, this would be the most extreme example, but to think it is not possible is just being stubborn.

I think what will eventually happen is a relapse of the "cash for clunkers" program that took place under the Obama administration. This time however, it would be aimed to get folks to buy EV vehicles while taking ICE off the roads. Think about how many cars from the 80's and 90's you just don't see anymore. Cash for Clunkers killed off A LOT of them.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Just pure speculation of course. It could become as bad as impounding of said cars by the state. Hell, California already is doing similar to my knowledge. Mind you, this would be the most extreme example, but to think it is not possible is just being stubborn.

I think what will eventually happen is a relapse of the "cash for clunkers" program that took place under the Obama administration. This time however, it would be aimed to get folks to buy EV vehicles while taking ICE off the roads. Think about how many cars from the 80's and 90's you just don't see anymore. Cash for Clunkers killed off A LOT of them.
I mean, let’s say my ecoboost. Let’s say I went and dropped a frixken killer v8 in it, supercharged / turbo charged/ all custom exhaust, or Intercooler, blah blah.

Driving on streets weekend car. They change law says ecu tampering or emission crap is illegal.

Now my car has nothing stock, and I can’t revert back. I don’t want a race car I want a DD. Can they tell me, sorry you can no longer drive your car or register it due to not passing emissions?

I’m sure this is something that is actually done, tons of custom wicked cars with zero carb approved items on their cars. They’ve been driving years and then law change and emissions back and now they are screwed cant get it back to legal

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I mean, let’s say my ecoboost. Let’s say I went and dropped a frixken killer v8 in it, supercharged / turbo charged/ all custom exhaust, or Intercooler, blah blah.

Driving on streets weekend car. They change law says ecu tampering or emission crap is illegal.

Now my car has nothing stock, and I can’t revert back. I don’t want a race car I want a DD. Can they tell me, sorry you can no longer drive your car or register it due to not passing emissions?

I’m sure this is something that is actually done, tons of custom wicked cars with zero carb approved items on their cars. They’ve been driving years and then law change and emissions back and now they are screwed cant get it back to legal
Yes. They won't allow you to register or renew your tabs. You'd be effectively done.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. They won't allow you to register or renew your tabs. You'd be effectively done.
I feel bad if something like this ever happens.. look at the guy who put all the effort on here and put a GT engine in it. full swap over and everything. can you imagine how pissed he'd be if next year they said, sorry dawg. you can't drive that anymore.

what do you mean?

your car says its a 4 cylinder, but it has a gt engine with 8 cylinders,
'fail.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's becoming clear that for a variety of reasons, tuning engines will continue to be more difficult. Personally, I left the motor until last on my list to upgrade. The S550 platform responds so very well to suspension mods, and these don't cross any lines, at least not directly, with EPA, insurance, warranty or other issues. Being a budding road course guy, I've never found horsepower to be in short supply in stock form on my local road course.
Yeah, as far as engine mods and tuning are concerned the writing has been on the wall for a while. Just not in sharp focus like it's getting to be.

I used to do a fair amount of engine modification, but that's all in years past. Haven't done much in the powertrain department in over 20 years, during which time the money that might otherwise have been spent on powertrain mods (and revisions to those) went to seat time at autocross and HPDE.

Norm

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4

Zero sympathy in this scenario. It's not like the EPA is enforcing a brand new law and deciding to retroactively enforce it. You took a calculated risk when you went down this route.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The way it was here is you had to spend a certain amount of money to fix it. I think it was 300 dollars and if that did not fix it you got a 1 year waiver. So slap some cats on it you spent the correct amount of money and you get your tags. Next year take them off and repeat the process.

I doubt this provision will return.

The real issue is the EPA is now saying in your case you could not even use the car on a race track without reverting it back to stock.

Sign the RPM act

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
f the ECU is locked then how does Roush tune for their superchargers?
As of right now the only tuner that locks the entire ECU is Lund. Ford cannot unlock it.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So they’ll still tune just not for anything catless right

Sponsored

gflo25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm getting sick of hearing them complain about this. Now he's starting to go into the conspiracy theories with his posts.

They knew what type of business they were going into. The EPA isn't something new. I personally won't be supporting their business anymore.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
This place you speak of is called California. Just ask some 03-04 cobra guys. COMPLETELY stock is now required. If ever tuned if must be take to the dealership and reprogrammed from what I understand.
Whomever you are speaking to doesn't know the dude...the dude makes magic happen. I have witnessed it several times.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
They knew what type of business they were going into. The EPA isn't something new. I personally won't be supporting their business anymore.
Looking at Lunds TOS all of their tunes are listed as "off road only"

Just saying

I'm not a fan of Lund, but have you heard of the RPM act? sign it please. We need to stick together on this.

Motor cyclists have been able to repeal helmet laws in many States. How? by sticking together even if we disagree.

gflo25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looking at Lunds TOS all of their tunes are listed as "off road only"

Just saying
That's exactly what the EPA took exception to. Having customers check a box on a website saying they won't use their tunes on the street is meaningless when they know that a big chunk of their customers do anyways. Now they'll probably be hit with a huge fine.

It sucks for these tuning companies and I don't envy their position. How are they supposed to regulate what their customers do with their tunes without cutting down their customer base. I doubt the RPM act will change anything. The main problem is enforcing the road use of these products, which the RPM act doesn't address.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The main problem is enforcing the road use of these products, which the RPM act doesn't address.
As much as I dislike Lund He and his company is not responsible in how his products are used.

Should Ford be held responsible if you drive drunk and kill a kid? No

Should Jack Daniels be held responsible in the same situation? No

Why hold Kooks responsible for you driving on the street with an off road part?
Sponsored