Sponsored

JMS PedalMax

XDMan

El Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium With 50th Anniversary Pack
I have the adjustment knob and removed it. You learn pretty quickly how to control the intensity with your foot.
Sponsored

roguestang001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ 2000 Mustang GT/ 1990 Mustang GT
Both my other Mustangs are cable throttles with no safety features, so I'm used to it I guessm. But that lack ofbthrottle has been my complaint thus far. Well that and the torque management feature, or what ever you call it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Since the increased "snappiness" is purely a function of pedal position to amount of throttle applied it stands logically that a passenger would not notice a difference (unless the drive has a terribly lethargic right foot), right?

John S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
Since the increased "snappiness" is purely a function of pedal position to amount of throttle applied it stands logically that a passenger would not notice a difference (unless the drive has a terribly lethargic right foot), right?
Correct! Your wife will never know you bought and installed it (until she drives it.) :cheers:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Installed it today. This car should have came from the factory just like this responsive. Down side, all modes except the snow/wet mode feel the same now. I can't tell a difference. The car sprints so much faster it almost feels like its on red bull...
This could be because it was intended for the throttle response to be different for the different modes. The PedalMax takes out the designed-in "mellowing" of the response regardless of the drive mode.

--

So I read the entire thread up to this point. This is what I speculate is happening.

Let’s say that you could press the pedal to exactly the position you want, in zero amount of time. Now let’s graph the throttle signal to the engine on the vertical scale, and the time it takes to change the throttle position on the horizontal scale.

Graph 1. Your car is in Normal Mode. Your foot suddenly presses the pedal from 0 to 1. A mild shape curve is what the ECU delivers to the engine.
Graph 2. Here is what I speculate the PedalMax does to the throttle-by-wire signal: the sudden spike curve.
Graph 3. Add the second graph to the third graph, and you arrive at what instant throttle response would look like: The ideal step-response curve.

So yes, the PedalMax "amplifies" the signal generated by the movement of your foot (but only at the beginning), in an attempt to compensate for the designed-in "mellow" response. In reality, the signal shape in Graph 2 cannot be precisely achieved. Instead you may get something more like Graph 4, but you would not be able to detect the “ringing” in the red curve, because of all the “mechanical filters” in the car (including in the drivetrain, and regardless of transmission type). (The curves shown in the white papers, etc. show that they have eliminated any electrical ringing.)

So the PedalMax makes the car behave more like it has an old fashioned pedal cable.

--

As for Drive Modes, it seems to me that Normal is for “normal” driving, i.e. like driving any other plain car: moderate acceleration, good mpg, etc. And possibly for when your GF drives it, with less chance of her getting wheelspin if she has a heavy foot (but normally drives a Prius).

With the automatic, “just grab ‘S’ and punch it” leaves a little to be desired for throttle response, IMO. Part of that is a short delay to wait for the tranny to sort out which gear, etc.

So I can see where PedalMax would be a nice mod to have for all cars. My concern is if the ECU really does at some point in the future determine it must re-map the throttle response – again back to true Normal Mode, which is with intentional throttle lag, such as to prevent wheelspin.

And since the PedalMax is before the ECU, the ECU might just think that your foot changed its driving style, and therefore decide NOT to reprogram.

I think the takeaway is that you get improved throttle response in all modes, but the other parts of those modes (steering, traction control) remain as originally intended.
graph1.gif
graph2.gif
graph3.gif
graph4.jpg

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I can still definitely tell the difference between the modes, even with the pedalmax. There's still a well defined difference in the way the throttle behaves, even with the pedalmax is at 100%.

But, I'm on an auto GT. I'd imagine that driving modes are more important on an auto as opposed to manual, because half of the point of the driving modes is changing the shifting style.

In normal, the throttle response is greatly increased, but it's a smooth curve to WOT. In sport+, you lose a little ability to feather the throttle because it ramps up to WOT much quicker.

Reactions: GTP

roguestang001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got mine last Thursday and put it on this weekend. There is definitely a difference in feel, and it now drives like my cable driven New Edge does. I'm very happy with the product!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
This could be because it was intended for the throttle response to be different for the different modes. The PedalMax takes out the designed-in "mellowing" of the response regardless of the drive mode.

--

So I read the entire thread up to this point. This is what I speculate is happening.

Let’s say that you could press the pedal to exactly the position you want, in zero amount of time. Now let’s graph the throttle signal to the engine on the vertical scale, and the time it takes to change the throttle position on the horizontal scale.

Graph 1. Your car is in Normal Mode. Your foot suddenly presses the pedal from 0 to 1. A mild shape curve is what the ECU delivers to the engine.
Graph 2. Here is what I speculate the PedalMax does to the throttle-by-wire signal: the sudden spike curve.
Graph 3. Add the second graph to the third graph, and you arrive at what instant throttle response would look like: The ideal step-response curve.

So yes, the PedalMax "amplifies" the signal generated by the movement of your foot (but only at the beginning), in an attempt to compensate for the designed-in "mellow" response. In reality, the signal shape in Graph 2 cannot be precisely achieved. Instead you may get something more like Graph 4, but you would not be able to detect the “ringing” in the red curve, because of all the “mechanical filters” in the car (including in the drivetrain, and regardless of transmission type). (The curves shown in the white papers, etc. show that they have eliminated any electrical ringing.)

So the PedalMax makes the car behave more like it has an old fashioned pedal cable.

--

As for Drive Modes, it seems to me that Normal is for “normal” driving, i.e. like driving any other plain car: moderate acceleration, good mpg, etc. And possibly for when your GF drives it, with less chance of her getting wheelspin if she has a heavy foot (but normally drives a Prius).

With the automatic, “just grab ‘S’ and punch it” leaves a little to be desired for throttle response, IMO. Part of that is a short delay to wait for the tranny to sort out which gear, etc.

So I can see where PedalMax would be a nice mod to have for all cars. My concern is if the ECU really does at some point in the future determine it must re-map the throttle response – again back to true Normal Mode, which is with intentional throttle lag, such as to prevent wheelspin.

And since the PedalMax is before the ECU, the ECU might just think that your foot changed its driving style, and therefore decide NOT to reprogram.

I think the takeaway is that you get improved throttle response in all modes, but the other parts of those modes (steering, traction control) remain as originally intended.
I love matlab too:thumbsup:

RobMustang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Automatic
I wouldn't mind this for my 2015 Automatic.

I just have a question, is there any way that this device can fail while I am driving it? And if it were to fail, what would happen?

I would hate to be on the freeway and either the throttle all of a sudden jumps up or I lose the accelerator :/

fogus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, DI Blue, Base
I wouldn't mind this for my 2015 Automatic.

I just have a question, is there any way that this device can fail while I am driving it? And if it were to fail, what would happen?

I would hate to be on the freeway and either the throttle all of a sudden jumps up or I lose the accelerator :/
Yeah, I've wondered that also. Good question and good for you for being paranoid.

(Of course, the pedal itself could fail. Or a meteor could impact. But it's still a good question.)

Sponsored

John S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
If you lose the pedal coast to the side of the road with your hazards on. If it goes wot toss it in neutral and quickly kill the engine and coast to side of road.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Beefcake,
I ordered mine yesterday. Any idea when it will ship?
Thanks for the discount!!

roguestang001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beefcake,
I ordered mine yesterday. Any idea when it will ship?
Thanks for the discount!!
I got mine from them too, and they typically send an invoice via email. Open the attachment and the tracking number will be in there. I called them when I didn't realize theor was an attachement in the email lol

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
No attachments in the email. Only a link to the order which doesn't show any status or tracking number.
Sponsored