Sponsored

Jalopnik Review, Part 2 (Euro-Spec Preproduction GT)

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Opposite Lock/Jalopnik
K-Roll-PorscheTamer-JrEngineer
9/18/14 4:34pm

So here it is! Oppo's first short review of the new Stang, and K-Roll's first impressions. But not just any Mustang GT, a Euro model! More explained down below.

[Full Disclosure: Ford wanted me to check out the 2015 Ford Mustang GT so badly, that they had my friend who works for Ford Development take one of the preproduction GTs down to Woodward for me to check out and enjoy. But this isn't just any regular GT, this is a Euro GT Premium Performance Pack Convertible! For those of you who don't know it yet, the Performance Pack isn't available on the Convertibles at the moment.

AND I DIDN'T DRIVE IT

Now, let's get to it shall we? :)

Exterior - 9/10

God damn does this thing look great in person in my opinion, the pictures aren't enough and do make it appear to be an Accord Coupe. If you know Mustangs, you know what to expect along with the design cues: The Taillights, the "Shark Nose" front end, the shape overall. It's a Mustang, and know you can fool your non-car enthusiast friends that you drive a V8 Honda Accord as well; should you really want to do so. Now I think the new design is sweet, but to sympathize with the people that think it looks more European and less like a 'Murican muscle car, there is some truth to that. It overall appears more "global" in design than any generation or iteration before it.

Now there are actually some minor differences in the US and UK models. Of course, the taillights are white here, and they aren't sequential either(modifications can solve that, wink wink Europe). The mirrors are also shaped differently:

Also for this new gen, Ford DNA introduces capless fuel filler doors and push to release fuel doors on the Mustang:

Here's a good question no one asked me; can you eat Chinese takeout on it??

While I don't condone such actions, yes you can, so long as you're careful and seeing as this was a preproduction, it wasn't a big deal.

K-Roll does not allow people to eat in or on his car, if you want to keep your car clean(like you should) don't do this!

Interior - 8/10

This year, the Mustang gets keyless entry and push-button ignition; no more turning a key, sorry key-lovers. Opening the doors to this fresh interior with it's aeronautical inspired cockpit, was great. Before I go into further detail, the preproduction models aren't perfect interior-wise, it had different color seats, the red line and white options to be exact, but the rear buckets were black; interior is all the same though. The overall look and quality has improved much from the S197 gen and everything is new. The wheel is wrapped in leather and very nice and steering feels responsive and tight. Infotainment controls are easy to use as well. The dash has soft-touch materials and there's stitching here and there. The doors are alright, not so soft-touch but it is what it is.

Being the premium trim, you get the touchscreen layout with fun little toggle switches and such, keeping the plane theme in mind. The toggle switches are a nice feature to add in my opinion, looks better than simple buttons. Now the toggle switches are your hazards, driving modes, traction control, and something else that eludes me currently. I really like this new dash layout to say the least.

Now as with any Mustang, you sit rather low because it's a sports car; the leather seats are very nice comfortable. They're nowhere near as bolstered as the Recaros, but they'll hold you in good enough for daily driving and maybe some track day? Bro?

Now here's a question I'm sure you all are wondering, can you fit a dead body in the boot?

Yes you can!! I gladly volunteered to test this, for science, I'm 5'10" and if your corpse of choice is as tall as I am, it'll fit, but any taller will be a tight squeeze.

Acceleration - 6/10

(Oh look, a new engine cover!)

As we all know, powering this Pony is Ford's Modular "Coyote" 5.0L 32-valve V8 as with the previous generation. Power is bumped(maybe to offset the weight increase) up slightly as seen below:

2015 - 435 HP / 400 LB-FT

2014 - 420 HP / 390 LB-FT

Now I know that it gained some weight in those hips, but let's think about this. 0-60 is 4.6 seconds now, 2014 was 4.3 seconds. Yes, that's .3 seconds more and it's significant for lap times, but remember that this was most likely caused by the new suspension and safety regulations jamming safety stuff in the car. While it certainly won't best the 2014 at the strip, it may beat it at the track with the new suspension; mind you this is speculative and all.

Now with my short ride, we didn't get extensive with POWERR and flooring it, but it pulls nicely for daily driving and maybe even other extensive usage.

The exhaust though, is a let down. It sounds mean up front but quiet as hell for a V8, and that makes me sad. Luckily, Ford Racing already has catalogs ready for this car, and there will most likely be a good-sized aftermarket for it. Parts should hopefully be out once they start hitting the dealer lots.

Transmission - 7/10

This power is also mated to your choice of a 6-speed manual, or in this case, a 6-speed auto with a "sport mode" and manual shifting via the paddles behind the wheel. The shifts are quick and smooth and you don't feel them much; it's not gonna shift as fast as a Lambo or F1 car of course, but would you really expect that from a 'Murican muscle car that costs less than $45k(depending on options)?

Oh, and launch control is standard.

Ride - 9/10

With this new IRS suspension, the ride quality is fantastic, it rides Woodward better than my Focus ST does; bumps and imperfections can be felt, but the ride is always smooth. I'm not sure how it'll do at the track, but it will hopefully outperform the outgoing model and do a good job.

Braking - 8/10

With the Performance Pack, you get 15-inch rotors and Brembo six-piston calipers, for the daily driver, it brakes hard and stops quick like it should; results at the track may vary. They also appear to be very grabby, much akin to the Focus ST.

Handling - 8/10

We didn't do any extensive turns, but the U-turns on Woodward were enough for me to say that it turns pretty good, it feels much better than the 2014 I was in a couple weeks back and keeps it's posture well, on the commute, you should expect some nice and responsive steering. Track days will be a great test for it, bro.

Audio - 7/10

This premium has the Shaker audio system, and while we didn't use it much, it sounds good enough for me and it should for everyone else.

Toys - 7/10

There's not much changed in interior functionality here, so for the toys, the HVAC system is easy to use, and as I said before, the buttons, switches and knobs are easy and simple to use. But you do get the "Pony Lights" on the mirrors and you can have a pony in the palm of your hand. The cupholder has been moved slightly to acomodate shifting as you can see in online photos, and it really does appear to help out some. One of my gripes is the arm rest, which is kinda out of reach as it has been recessed to conform with the transmission tunnel which now functions as an arm rest; the cubby for storage sits a bit far back and can be difficult to get into, depending on how you sit.

Value - 8/10

Without going fanboyish on you all, it's a damn good car from my experience, and a damn good pony too. It's definitely a car worth checking out before you release your judgement. Pricing for this premium GT Convertible is $41,600, the Fastback is lower at $36,100 without any options. Now the performance pack is an additional $2495 if you want it.

This being a preproduction car, it has no value as it will be destroyed after it has served it's purpose. It was a once in a life opportunity to do this and I'm glad I got to.(bragging rights lvl 50)

With my closing remarks, all I can say is this car is definitely an improvement even with some cons and is definitely well worth the wait and time to check one out. I'm very excited to see what happens with the new gen, especially the GT350, which I've been told by my Ford friends is gonna be a damn good car to replace the GT500. This from my perspective is Ford's greatest iteration of the Pony yet, hats off to you Ford.

I hope you enjoyed my short review of what to expect! :)

Total Score - 77/100

Engine - 5.0L, direct injection V8

Power/Torque - 435 HP / 400 LB-FT

0-60 Time - 4.6 seconds

Drivetrain - RWD

Seating - 2+2

MPG - 15 city/25 highway/19 combined

MSRP - $41,600 for premium convertible/ $36,100 for fastback

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-mustang-gt-short-review-1636446296
Sponsored

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
I saw the ST and was excited for some comparisons... Guess not :(

GTsquid

Ride quality on point is all i keep seeing. Can't wait to test it out.

but yea they got the direct injection part wrong...

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
since when was the '14 4.3 seconds 0-60?
I've seen 4.4 pretty much everywhere for the 2013/2014 models. I've not seen 4.3 before, but it could have been a hero run.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I used to 4.4 in my 13 consistently before a tune...I know Boss's can run 4 flat.

Butter77

Ha....You said Member...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
But this isn't just any regular GT, this is a Euro GT Premium Performance Pack Convertible!
Errr.....am I the only one to pick up on this?????

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
You're right, that lucky bastard got to drive a pre-production GT PP Convert. Wow :clap2:

Sponsored

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
total let down with the exhaust being that quite.

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
total let down with the exhaust being that quite.
I don't really see it as a problem, anyone who cares about performance is bound to swap it with a louder aftermarket exhaust. This will make it easier to know who has modded their car.

I'm already planning to install the sports exhaust thats not noise legal here in CA, cause if it's illegal in CA it must be good.

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
I don't really see it as a problem, anyone who cares about performance is bound to swap it with a louder aftermarket exhaust. This will make it easier to know who has modded their car.

I'm already planning to install the sports exhaust thats not noise legal here in CA, cause if it's illegal in CA it must be good.
Oh yes deff going to be one of the first things i purchase. but I think the GoodWood got everybody's hopes up with the exhaust sounding like that from the factory.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Hey you found my review!! :ford:
I knew it'd make it's way over hear sooner or later. Wasn't sure to post it or not. But I'll say this much, I didn't actually get to drive it. I rode shotgun though, and that was a blast during the short drive. That's my Focus ST in the shot as well, I wish I waited for the 2015 to be honest.

I do admit that I was a bit off on some of my info, my mistake on the direct injection part; I got some info mixed up. :(

But I am the lucky 19-year old that got the chance of a lifetime. :D