Sponsored

Is this too much negative camber? (picture and measurements)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't there a compensation for the crown built into all roads ?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious how you achieved a 50-50 weight distribution
move (in my case) 5% of the weight in the front to the rear. Or, take weight off the front. Simple.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Its zero at zero, but it doesn't measure the small angles well. IDK, something something Harbor Freight.
You do have to be kind of careful to set the angle finder "vertical" as seen in side view. It helps to make multiple measurements as well.

I just checked mine using vernier calipers, the length of the metal portion, and some spreadsheet math . . . no guarantee that yours will match mine but it might be worth the trouble to at least find out.

1.0° indicated measured 1.05°
2.0° indicated measured 2.14°
3.0° indicated measured 3.24°

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Isn't there a compensation for the crown built into all roads ?
I'm not aware of rear alignment settings being used to compensate for road crown.

Front alignment settings, on the other hand, have used either cross-camber or cross-caster for that reason. In those cases, RF camber would be set slightly more negative than LF camber, or RF caster more positive than LF caster.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm not aware of rear alignment settings being used to compensate for road crown.

Front alignment settings, on the other hand, have used either cross-camber or cross-caster for that reason. In those cases, RF camber would be set slightly more negative than LF camber, or RF caster more positive than LF caster.

Norm
I agree with you on the rear settings, but I think pretty much everyone monkeys with the front to make a car track straight on a crowned road, as you say, camber or caster.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
move (in my case) 5% of the weight in the front to the rear. Or, take weight off the front. Simple.
It might be simple to write, now go do it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
NightmareMoon said:
Its zero at zero, but it doesn't measure the small angles well. IDK, something something Harbor Freight.

I later re-checked those numbers using mechanical vernier calipers (I used a digital caliper for the first set)

1.0° indicated measured 1.16°
2.0° indicated measured 2.16°
3.0° indicated measured 3.25°

Still seems close enough for most DIY purposes - especially since 'actual' = more negative than 'indicated'.

FWIW.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
NightmareMoon said:

I later re-checked those numbers using mechanical vernier calipers (I used a digital caliper for the first set)

1.0° indicated measured 1.16°
2.0° indicated measured 2.16°
3.0° indicated measured 3.25°

Still seems close enough for most DIY purposes - especially since 'actual' = more negative than 'indicated'.

FWIW.

Norm
Yeah, mine is off about 0.25° in the same range. I put some tape down on the inside and made my own marks. Its useful for relative measurements when backed up by an alignment sheet, and if you're measuring larger angles (like the angle of attack on a DIY lexan spoiler) its a pretty darn useful tool
Sponsored