Sponsored

Is this too much negative camber? (picture and measurements)

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
I measured 1.9 degrees negative on the left rear brake rotor. The right rear was 1.3 degrees negative.
Not the most accurate way to measure but it is visibly more negative on the left side than the right.
How many degrees is acceptable and how much can it vary side to side?

DSC00124.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it under 2 degrees of negative camber. Yeah I’d try to have it more even left to right or the car will probably prefer to step out to the heavily cambered side if you’re launching hard (wheelspin)

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
You said you measured it at the brake rotor. Did you measure it with the tire on and car on the garage floor (that’s how you should do it). Also, is your floor completely level? If not that will also affect camber readings particularly from side to side.
Nonetheless, as above if you’re less then -2 degrees in back and not not running a bunch of track events, i.e. street only, you should be good.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said you measured it at the brake rotor. Did you measure it with the tire on and car on the garage floor (that’s how you should do it). Also, is your floor completely level? If not that will also affect camber readings particularly from side to side.
Nonetheless, as above if you’re less then -2 degrees in back and not not running a bunch of track events, i.e. street only, you should be good.
Yes I measured with tire on and on the garage floor. My floor is level within .1 degree. I rechecked and measured 1.8 negative with compensation for the floor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the street, look to get both sides to around -1.5 deg, +/- 0.1
So I little bit much. The car drives and handles fine. My concern is tire wear.
I have aligned the frontends on my older mustangs but have no experience with independent rears.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes I measured with tire on and on the garage floor. My floor is level within .1 degree. I rechecked and measured 1.8 negative with compensation for the floor.
Did you apply the same 0.1° correction to the right rear? Keep in mind that if your floor is flat at 0.1° out of level and you subtracted that out from the left rear camber measurement to get -1.8°, you'd add it to the right rear measurement which should then look more like -1.4° for a little less cross-camber.

FWIW, I'd trust angular measurements made from a longer base. As long as your wheels aren't bent or dinged, something like this. Index against the wheel flange avoiding any projecting spoke shape rather than the tire.

full.jpg

Norm

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you apply the same 0.1° correction to the right rear? Keep in mind that if your floor is flat at 0.1° out of level and you subtracted that out from the left rear camber measurement to get -1.8°, you'd add it to the right rear measurement which should then look more like -1.4° for a little less cross-camber.

FWIW, I'd trust angular measurements made from a longer base. As long as your wheels aren't bent or dinged, something like this.

full.jpg

Norm
Yes I did. I need to make something to measure at the wheel, which is how I prefer but all I have is for 14 and 15 inch that I use on the old mustangs.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

FWIW, I'd trust angular measurements made from a longer base. As long as your wheels aren't bent or dinged, something like this. Index against the wheel flange avoiding any projecting spoke shape rather than the tire.

full.jpg

Norm
FWIW Norm, I have that pittsburgh level and its not accurate for small angles, mine is off by 0.4-0.5 degrees on normal camber type measurements. Its precise, but not accurate.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do I have to worry about clocking the bushing? I don't see how you would get to things without taking the tire off. So maybe jack under the suspension to load it before tightening?

Sponsored

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar issue. I have not measure though. I thought it was my garage floor until I looked at it while in a level parking garage. The driver's side is has more camber than the passenger side.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
FWIW Norm, I have that pittsburgh level and its not accurate for small angles, mine is off by 0.4-0.5 degrees on normal camber type measurements. Its precise, but not accurate.
Can you do a super set or zero? Most of those you can, and it makes a difference. In then end, though, that's why a lot of people are only comfortable with a bubble. Gravity rarely needs recalibration.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Can you do a super set or zero? Most of those you can, and it makes a difference. In then end, though, that's why a lot of people are only comfortable with a bubble. Gravity rarely needs recalibration.
Its zero at zero, but it doesn't measure the small angles well. IDK, something something Harbor Freight.