Sponsored

Is it worth buying a Shelby gt350?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If I was buying now I'd have to give serious consideration to a 2018 GT with Level 2 PP over a non-R GT350. I love my non-R GT350 and the sound of the FPC, but the performance gap is shaping up to be narrow between the two.
Sponsored

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Yeah you're right there were crazy adms on the 350 I can't imagine how high they will get with the 500
There were crazy ADMs back then (Sept 2015) but I got lucky thanks to the great members of this forum and located an MSRP allocation only 18 miles from home. The best deal around was 5k over before finding my car. I had decided it was MSRP or buy a different car. Good luck with your search!

Reactions: JJ

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
If I was buying now I'd have to give serious consideration to a 2018 GT with Level 2 PP over a non-R GT350. I love my non-R GT350 and the sound of the FPC, but the performance gap is shaping up to be narrow between the two.
So is the price...

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
There were crazy ADMs back then (Sept 2015) but I got lucky thanks to the great members of this forum and located an MSRP allocation only 18 miles from home. The best deal around was 5k over before finding my car. I had decided it was MSRP or buy a different car. Good luck with your search!
That is a good deal considering the time when adms were high for the 350 (great looking car by the way) and thanks

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
10k difference is a lot of money. 50k for regular "branded" Mustang is too much in my mind. I would much rather spend 60k on something that is bit more rare and unique. your money, your choices.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
10k difference is a lot of money. 50k for regular "branded" Mustang is too much in my mind. I would much rather spend 60k on something that is bit more rare and unique. your money, your choices.
Keep in mind at $50k you're getting a Mustang GT with features the GT350 doesn't even have like the digital dash.

If you want to have "creature comfort" feature parity with the GT350 you'd order a 301A with Performance Pack Level 2. You're looking at a mid $40K list that you most likely can get well under invoice closer to $40k. As opposed to $58k non-R GT350 that maybe you can get a little under MSRP.

Now that $10K difference is closer to $15-18k. That's a lot for FPC and "Shelby Exclusivity" for most.

The more I'm seeing from the 2018 Mustang GT the more it tells me the GT350 was just a holdover because the next Ford Performance Mustang wasn't ready in time.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The more I'm seeing from the 2018 Mustang GT the more it tells me the GT350 was just a holdover because the next Ford Performance Mustang wasn't ready in time.
Why do you say that? Keep in mind for instance that the 2015 GT PP Mustang was faster around a road course than the 2012/2013 Boss 302. I think it's just normal that Ford tries to improve the car as new generations are released. I'm not surprised that after owning the car for a couple years there is something cheaper coming out that will be very competitive with my car. People are still buying up GT350s even during the 3rd model year with no major changes.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It's like buying a 335i and adding all options you can to it, trying to bring it closer to an M3. It is a nice, fast car, but it will never be an M3.

The GT will never feel like a GT350, no matter how many Performance crap you add to it.

Front is is not as nice or aggressive... and then is the engine. The magic is in Voodoo...

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Keep in mind at $50k you're getting a Mustang GT with features the GT350 doesn't even have like the digital dash.

If you want to have "creature comfort" feature parity with the GT350 you'd order a 301A with Performance Pack Level 2. You're looking at a mid $40K list that you most likely can get well under invoice closer to $40k. As opposed to $58k non-R GT350 that maybe you can get a little under MSRP.

Now that $10K difference is closer to $15-18k. That's a lot for FPC and "Shelby Exclusivity" for most.

its subjective for sure. for me that is too much money for a mustang that i likely will see 100 time over on the road around chicago. i would rather spend the money on a shelby.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you say that? Keep in mind for instance that the 2015 GT PP Mustang was faster around a road course than the 2012/2013 Boss 302. I think it's just normal that Ford tries to improve the car as new generations are released. I'm not surprised that after owning the car for a couple years there is something cheaper coming out that will be very competitive with my car. People are still buying up GT350s even during the 3rd model year with no major changes.
Exactly; there will always be something better, faster out there... Do you need it ? That is the question..

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
its subjective for sure. for me that is too much money for a mustang that i likely will see 100 time over on the road around chicago. i would rather spend the money on a shelby.
Clearly, I spent my money on the GT350, but if I was buying today I'd probably get the GT with the Level 2 Performance Pack and the newly announced Ford Performance Supercharger with warranty. Still coming in under the cost of a GT350 and beating up on the ZL1, Hellcat and GT350R for less than a non-R GT350.

I have yet to see another R in person anywhere... including dealership
Come on out to the Baltimore-Washington corridor. There are quite a few out here.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
and beating up on the ZL1, Hellcat and GT350R for less than a non-R GT350.
Beating up in what way?

Come on out to the Baltimore-Washington corridor. There are quite a few out here.
Yeah I bet I'd see more on the coasts... but I'm good ;) In a way it's kind of nice to never see it. Though I would like to see what it looks like/sounds like rolling, in person.. without cringing that someone else is pushing my baby :)
Sponsored